1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Galaxy S wifi 4.0 - GPS without a data connection?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mybluesky, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mybluesky

mybluesky Lurker
    None

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi,

Can someone please help me and offer some advice - I recently bought this unit under the impression I could get GPS positioning without a data connection. However, I can only get a lock on my position if I am connected to wifi. I was wanting to use this unit as a GPS by caching maps over wifi, then use the in-bult GPS to navigate.

I have emailed Samsung directly and got this response:

"I am sorry, this is not possible without an internet connection be that WiFi or Data.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and
    we will be more than happy to help."

Now, from doing some online research people seem to be able to get this to work with various different solutions. If anyone can confirm that it is possible to use this unit as a GPS without wifi I'd be very grateful. Also, if anyone can recommend a way of fixing the player to make this possible I'd be eternally grateful!

Thanks,

Adam

Advertisement

2. JiMMaR

JiMMaR Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2010
    if you just want to find your location on the map using GPS then it should work fine with google maps

but if you want to get navigation and directions , that requires internet connection
    but you may find some apps for that on the market , but usually the maps are pretty costly

3. Wilbour

Wilbour Newbie
    None

Feb 20, 2012
    I was able to start my Navigation while connected to Wifi. As I dove away from home it notified me it lost Wifi connection but continued to instruct me where to go for several miles (I have data turned off). The trip was long so I turned off my Navigation to prevent battery drain. Two hours later I thought I would restart Navigation but it would not log on without Wifi or Data. Try to set up your Navigation with Wifi and see how far you can get.