1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 JellyBean 4.1.2 XXMS2 Battery Life

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ronhill, Aug 7, 2013.

1. ronhill

ronhill Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    So I have updated to this version and I am facing massive battery drain.
    I have looked everywhere to find a solution for this and most of people say to do Factory Reset.
    I have done hard reset and standard one from "Backup and reset" but nothing has really changed. (I have cleared the cache too.)

I have turned off almost everything.
    -Changed "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep" to "Never (increases data usage)"
    -Changed "Network mode" to "GSM only"
    -Turned off "Sync" and "GPS" and also location requests on every application that has it in its settings (I do not even use Sync...)
    -Turned off "Touch Sounds and Vibration"

And to be more ironic I have "Power Saving" on.

I would also like to add that this is the second day of running this update and first day of having battery fully charged while on this update.
    Battery keeps draining without even touching the phone, although I have had WiFi on for couple of times just for Whatsapp...
    I have also read that it will require a couple of more charging for the battery to adjust, but can not blame me, I am kinda desperate and hoping to get some answers.
    I have also noticed that the WiFi response is kinda slower, on previous version WiFi was functioning normally but I am noticing that my internet is slower even though I am in the same room where my router is and read somewhere that this update has some errors with WiFi, could that be true?
    I really do not know what more to add, I really am desperate. LOL

Thanks in advance.

P.S. As I was writing this, probably took me 5 to 10 minutes, my battery dropped for 2% without touching the phone.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      28.4 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      61.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.png
      3.png
      File size:
      60 KB
      Views:
    • 4.png
      4.png
      File size:
      61.9 KB
      Views:
    • 5.png
      5.png
      File size:
      44.9 KB
      Views:

Advertisement

2. Henri

Henri Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    I had this same problem, and i solved it by doing Hard reset _and_ formatting memory from phone.

1st backup everything from phones memory
    2nd format it using phones format ability
    3rd do all kinds of factory reset thingys
    4th restart phone and dont install anything for 1 day, so you know if the battery drain have stopped. (keep phones memory empty as possible, /storage/sdcard0/)

Hope this helps

ronhill likes this.
  3. ronhill

ronhill Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    I have tried both hard reset and standard factory reset couple of times, even pulled out battery and put it back before running resets.
    I have cleared cache too during hard reset mode but nothing has really changed, battery is still being drained too fast.
    I am also using 8gb memory card, could that cause any problems?

I do not even have too many apps installed, I am not a heavy phone user.
    I only have Skype and Whatsapp installed, the rest are applications installed with JellyBean 4.1.2 XXMS2.
    And I only use those two literally! (Skype so rarely and Whatsapp mostly...) and always exit them using back key/sign out and clear memory in RAM after exiting them.

Anyway Thanks! Henri for taking your time to answer. I really appreciate it.

4. Henri

Henri Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Np, but i solved it by using empty sdcard0, i had to remove every trace of files from there...

And remove your 8gb memory card also to test. I had problems using extra memory card so im going without one now.

5. ronhill

ronhill Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    Henri, I am sorry for bothering you with my lack of knowledge but could you tell me how exactly do you empty sdcard0?

When I go to Settings > Storage there are only options to format USB storage and SD card (Memory Card).

In Settings > Backup and reset there is Personal data > Factory data reset I have already did this one after updating to JellyBean and another time after that.

To empty sdcard0 should I go to My Files and select all folders in sdcard0 and delete them or connect phone to computer with USB cable and try to format it from there (if there is an option)?

During hard reset I did Wipe Cache and Wipe Data/Factory reset does that empty sdcard0, if so, shoud I give it another try?

6. Henri

Henri Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    Hey, ronhill.

Back to this problem then :)

So firstly of course backup files from usb storage.
    Remove mounted SD Card from phone.
    Then settings - storage - Format USB storage.

After this power off phone and when booting, enter Android system recovery
    wipe data/factory reset

After reboot try not to restore settings from google account (it can even start to installing applications you had)

So, test phone with 0 installed applications. 1 or 2 days. I noticed here the difference.

Hope this helps. If no, then its other issue.

ronhill likes this.
  7. ronhill

ronhill Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    Thanks! again for taking your time to answer. I hope this works if not I guess I will wait for 4.2.2 update if it ever gets released. Lol

8. speedycolzalez

speedycolzalez Android Enthusiast
    None

Heavy battery drain is normally due to apps preventing the phone from sleeping. Skype and Whatsapp are known culprits as best I recall (Googling Skype Android Battery throws this up for starters). What is battery drain like without these apps installed?

Install BetterBatteryStats (or similar). Look at partial wakelocks. This tells you what apps are preventing the phone from sleeping. If you can, uninstall whatever's at the top of this list.

HTH.

ronhill likes this.
  9. ronhill

ronhill Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2013
    It's pointless, I'm going to leave it the way it is, but thank you both and Thanks! speedycolzalez for taking your time to reply.

10. Henri

Henri Newbie
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    then i had somekind of bug on my phone. When i installed Jelly Bean i had 10% battery life at the end of day even i didnt use any application. Even after hard reset.

After i cleaned my usb storage and started everything from crash i have now over 60% availabe with basic daily uses at the end of day.

( my thoughts are that if you have too many individual files on usb storage it eats your battery faster, wild guess, but worked for me )

I have every single same application installed that i had when i had battery drain issues. And now im happy with this phone again.