1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S2 low brightness .!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by sasha007, Aug 29, 2011.

1. sasha007

sasha007 Newbie

Hi,

I just got my new Samsung Galaxy S2 .
    I already have an iPhone 4 .

But i actually have some doubt now .
    I compared the 2 screens from the iPhone and GS2 , and found that Galaxy s2 has lower brightness than the iPhone 4 .
    But i google'd and found out that people say that galaxy s2 has higher brightness than the iPhone 4 .

This has made a doubt in my mind as to whether my Samsung galaxy S2 screen maybe faulty .?
    I have turned auto brightness to off and my brightness is set to maximum on my S2 .
    Still i feel like it has low brightness .

Is there some benchmark program (Like quandrant and smartbench )that produces a score for the screen brightness .?
    So that i can compare the score and be satisfied that my screen is ok .

Or what else is the option for checking whether the brightness is ok or not .??

Should i upload a video here so that you guys can check that and tell me .??

Reply plzz ....:thinking:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

I find the brightness is way more than I need to be honest, only time I put it full is in direct sunlight, maybe you can post a video and we can take a look.

3. sasha007

sasha007 Newbie

Would a SD video do or should i make a 720 p ?

Also what lightning condition should i prefer ?

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

Mine too is very good. Sounds like a faulty screen to me.

5. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

Normal lighting would be better, not dark and not in direct sunlight.

6. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

Are you using Auto brightness? the screen is extremely bright when on full and very readable even in direct sunlight.

If your finding it not bright enough for normal use then it's faulty.

7. greggebhardt

greggebhardt Android Enthusiast

Is it possible you have the brightness turned way down. You know it can be adjusted. If on "auto" it will also adjust for room brightness as well.

Mine is running at 50% and is MORE than bright enough!

Not many in these forums complaining about low brightness. To me the SG2 screen is one of the best I have used!

8. sasha007

sasha007 Newbie

No I'm not using auto brightness .
    Brightness is set to maximum ..

Here is a video showing the screen brightness .
    Please watch and comment on what you think .?

IMG 0151 - YouTube

9. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

To be honest, it doesn't look that bad from where I am sitting?

10. sasha007

sasha007 Newbie

But is it perfectly normal .??

Or does there seem to be an issue .??

11. greggebhardt

Sorry but you video looks normal to me.

Why do you feel it is not a bright as you think it should be?

Are you having trouble seeing your Galaxy S2 because it is dim? Looks perfectly normal to me.

12. Irate

Irate Well-Known Member

looks perfectly normal to me maybe you are just worrying to much

13. Puccagirl

Puccagirl Newbie

I found the SG2 to be fine for brightness.. I have to turn it down a bit even.

14. heshanj

heshanj Android Expert

well its hard to tell screen brightness from a video.. but it looks normal to me too.. for me, using maximum brightness is much too bright to use comfortably, even in bright sunlight

15. lankunit

lankunit Member

Using both phones, I can tell you that the Super Amoled + has a brighter screen in most situations. Normally it would be so bright that if used in a dim environment it would start to hurt and strain your eyes. However recently flashing the ninphetamine kernal I started to notice that the screen wasn't as bright as before but still adequate. So maybe your problem lies in the kernal and not on the screen itself? I previously had the tint issue with the phone but that seems to be fixed with a kernal update.

16. sasha007

sasha007 Newbie

Can i go to a samsung service center and ask them to compare my screen with another galaxy S2.?
    Or do i have to goto an samsung outlet for comparing .?

17. evohicks

evohicks Android Expert

I would think any phone shop would allow you to do this(reputable one at least) as there is no harm in checking the screen brightness.

18. Shocky

Shocky Android Expert

Looks fine in the video but theres nothing to compare it too plus the camera is auto-adjusting.

Only odd thing is the text disappears when you lowered brightness, but again that could just be the camera.

19. greggebhardt

Like I said, are you having trouble seeing your screen.

Just to convice yourself, you maybe need to compare it to another SG2.

Best of luck and hope that one day you can relax and enjoy your phone!

sasha007 likes this.
  20. donl

donl Lurker

I am an iPhone user and wanted to switch to an Android device. I was very close on pulling the trigger on this phone but when in Costco today I compared my iPhone 3GS and the salesperson's iPhone 4 (not sure if it was the 4S or not) to the Samsung Galaxy S2 and the brightness difference was a deal breaker for me. And yes I set the brightness to the max on all the devices.
    I suppose if you've never used a brighter screen then it may not matter because your frame of reference is different but for me it was a showstopper.
    Interestingly when viewing them at an angle the iPhone looks less bright.
    If anyone could recommend an Android device that is brighter please let me know. Otherwise I may have to school myself or upgrade my iPhone.

21. paddylaz

paddylaz Member

I've tested a lot of GS2's and found that the brightness 'range' (for lack of a better word) differs substantially between handsets. Not necessarily either a good or bad thing as have never found one to be too dark - my first gs2 was downright uncomfortable at top brightness!

Also, the super amoled plus technology in screens tend to over-saturate colours (very similar to a macbook pro glossy screen v a macbook pro matte screen). The pros of this is that the S.a.plus screen is probably the most vibrant on the market with colours that really 'pop.'
    One of the downsides of this technology are the whites. Most review sites such as engadget and tech radar have noted such screens don't have whites 'as white' as certain other phones like the iPhone, and that gs2 screens tend to have a very slight bluey hue. This usually is mistakenly identified as 'low brightness'. It's not, it's normal and I wouldn't worry about it.

Given the choice, I'd take the gs2 screen over the iPhone screen any day of the week.

ps. don't mean to be condescending if this is an obvious thing that you made sure you weren't overlooking, but also the Galaxy S2 has TWO brightness sliders, one general one and one for the browser. I only mention it because you may have compared the two phones using a browser window and the browser brightness might not have been at full whack.

22. donl

donl Lurker

"I've tested a lot of GS2's and found that the brightness 'range' (for lack of a better word) differs substantially between handsets."
    --Like a box of chocolates

"One of the downsides of this technology are the whites. Most review sites ... have noted such screens don't have whites 'as white' as certain other phones like the iPhone, and that gs2 screens tend to have a very slight bluey hue. This usually is mistakenly identified as 'low brightness'. It's not, it's normal and I wouldn't worry about it. "
    --I am a worrier so I ended up buying the HTC Vivid whose whites are indeed bright and oddly enough white (and not of the bluish variety of white).

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews