1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE Kernal and Battery Info

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Paul17, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Paul17

Paul17 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    Hey guys, I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S2 LTE from Rogers and love it! However I've been noticing it has abit of a battery problem even with mild use and good battery saving programs. So what I wanted to ask was if you guys can help me find the Kernal needed to allow an app to under-clock my phone while the screen is off and also I was wondering if you guys have heard of any batteries that would work well for my phone and would extend the battery life.My phones model number is SGH-I727, thanks allot for the help guys! :)
    -Paul

Advertisement

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Android Expert

May 30, 2011
    Whatever he said.
    Cambridgeshire, England
    Welcome to the forum.

I'm going to move this to the gs2 skyrocket forum. You should get some better advice there.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  3. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder

Welcome! Start here http://androidforums.com/galaxy-s2-...-samsung-skyrocket-all-things-root-guide.html

Currently there are 4 or 5 kernels to choose from over on xda. I am currently using faux's kernel but you might start with a stockish kernel.

You have already been moved here by a guide, but do take note of the root sub forum. Once you find the kernel you need let me know and I will move this thread there

4. Paul17

Paul17 Lurker
    None

Jan 13, 2012
    THanks guys! I'll defs check out that forum for the roots :)What about a battery to buy for my S2?
    Thanks again guys! :)

5. Midiman

Midiman Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Professional musician, photographer, computer prog
    Upstate, NY
    Check the Accessories thread. You'll find something made by Powerskin there. It look promising.

6. pookieguy

pookieguy Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    I wish I could have the time to reply to the countless threads online about this very issue. One of the things that delayed the purchase of this phone are these very comments from owners. However, when I did get the phone, I was immediately shocked by its excellent battery life. Brand new without a single modification (just some basic stock settings) of any kind, I easily was able to get 13 hours with moderate use. Not light use at all, as I was constantly playing with the phone to discover what I will do with it.

After installing a number of preferred apps and tweaking everything, I tested it again. Note that this was done using the excellent JuiceDefender BUT with the proper settings in place.

Now, I easily get 17 hours out of the phone. Still can't believe it, coming from the HTC EVO 4G from Sprint. That phone, no matter what I did, would not last long at all.

Anyways,

This is why I just don't understand why many are complaining about battery life in general (not directed at you!!).

What some need to seriously focus on is what they install and how that app ends up functioning. If you go crazy and start downloading a bunch of apps that run in the background in order to sync or connect in some form or fashion, that is obviously going to make an impact.

Just take the time to play with it and focus on battery life when managing both all installed apps or any new ones that you get.

--mike

7. Midiman

None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Upstate, NY
    I get the feeling it's because people are using them as TV sets and either streaming or playing large amounts of media stored on their phones. It's the only explanation. I can go two days without charging my phone. Stock.

8. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    haha..I still get 10-15 hours on a charge doing all of the above :cool:

9. Midiman

None

Jan 1, 2012
    Male
    Upstate, NY
    I don't use the phone a great deal unless I'm out of the house. Sending a typical number of texts/emails and with typical call usage, I could easily go three days without a charge. I go two and still have a 68 - 70% charge. But I manually sync everything. Especially email and contacts.

10. pookieguy

pookieguy Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 30, 2011
    Ahh, you mention something very important...auto syncing. You definitely don't want to install all these Alps that auto sync all the time. Nothing wrong with manual syncing. It set everything to manual except for my website comment system.