• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S2 not connecting via USB to Windows PC or Windows laptop

Not quite sure why? I have the correct drivers and the computer will charge the phone but Kies wont recognise is. :|

This happens 50% of the time with me as well, I am on Windows 7.

Leave your phone connected to PC

Goto Device Manager and look for yellow marks in the "Universal Serial Bus Controllers"

Right click on the yellow items and select "Un-install". In my case, I get two items with yellow mark.

After un-installaing, click the button "Scan for hardware changes". Windows will find you phone again and install drivers.

It should be working and no yellow marks should be in the Device Manager.

Upvote 0
I encountered initially, lots of problems trying to connect S2 to PC using Kies. Although Kies was installed and had drivers for S2, when plugging the phone in the USB port, Windows would start installing drivers.
Also, after Windows drivers were installed, I was asked everytime I plugged the phone to select the Winows application to work with the device. At the same time Kies was trying to connect to the device as well.
If you select a Windows app to work with the device, Kies will not connect anymore.
To correct the connection problem, select the option "Take no action" and mark the check-box "Always execute this action".
On Win 7, the pop-up menu does not have the option for "Take no action", so you have to click on hyperlink for additional options and you will see a list of all devices including GT-I9100. There is a droplist for the action to take for each device. Select in the droplist for GT-I9100 the option "Take no action".
Since I did this, my S2 has been connecting without problems to Kies.
I was able to backup my phone and upgrade the firmaware to JellyBean (4.1.2).

Upvote 0
Hey Guys. I got a Samsung S2 with O/S Gingerbread in it...I wanted to install CyanogenMod....BUT, When ever I try to connect it to my PC[XP] or Laptop[Win7] all I get is a msg " USB Device Not Recoginzed"....what I have already tried :
1. Uninstalling and Re-Installing the driver
2. Downloaded Samsung USB driver
3. Changed USB Cables [3 cable in total....NOTE: I can connect my Motorola Xoom Tablet with these cable and it works with the Xoom]
4. Installed the latest version of Samsung Kies3 hoping that will install some driver. BUT, :(
5. Yes I have ENABLED the USB Debugging option on the phone also.

Can someone please tell me what went wrong??

Thank you in advance.

Upvote 0
Just to be clear, your phone is the i9100?

When you plug it into either computer does it fail to install the driver (configuration error) or does it simply not recognize that anything has been plugged in (hardware problem)? If the former, have you enabled USB debugging? If the latter, you might have a faulty USB port on your phone.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
Just to be clear, your phone is the i9100?

When you plug it into either computer does it fail to install the driver (configuration error) or does it simply not recognize that anything has been plugged in (hardware problem)? If the former, have you enabled USB debugging? If the latter, you might have a faulty USB port on your phone.

sry forgot to mention the model its DGH-T989 [T-Mobile]

As per your 2 options its the former the pc detects the device its connected.....and give the message " USB Device Not Recoginzed".

And yes the setting "USB Debugging" has been enabled.

I am going to delete kies3 and install the 2...and let you know

Upvote 0
Yeah, because the AT&T variant won't work with Kies ... you have to use Kies mini :goofydroid: (can that still be found?)

sry forgot to mention the model its DGH-T989 [T-Mobile]

Good job you checked lunatic59!

It's neither the International or the AT&T variant but the Galaxy SII, "Hercules", model for T-Mobile, U.S.A.

My post #13 should still apply for advanced problem solving on connection to Kies.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
I kind of suspected. ;) Been around this block more than once. :D @Nipin Do you mean SGH-T989D? (Canadian?) or simply SGH-T989? Either way @ironass post should help you get closer. I think the difference might be that the Canadian variant would enable international 3G frequencies (which would be a good thing, because the US version probably won't get you more than 2G speeds anywhere else.)

Upvote 0
I kind of suspected. ;) Been around this block more than once. :D @Nipin Do you mean SGH-T989D? (Canadian?) or simply SGH-T989? Either way @ironass post should help you get closer. I think the difference might be that the Canadian variant would enable international 3G frequencies (which would be a good thing, because the US version probably won't get you more than 2G speeds anywhere else.)

Just SGH-T989

Will try out ironass #13 steps...will keep you posted

Upvote 0
I have the SGH-T989 ( which keeps and keeps rebooting) and i have kies and all the drivers. it just doesnt connect to any pc i put it on tho. any help would be appreciated :)
What you've got is called a bootloop. It's indicative of a damaged operating system. If a factory reset doesn't fix it you may have to reflash the firmware.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones