1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S2 probably going to AT&T

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by JShultz89, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

They were probably developing in parallel with 2 different processors, the put the most successful line into mainstream production, and limited production on the other so not to waste development dollars.

Or.... they started developing with the tegra 2 in case the board with their processor wasn't ready in time. Since there's worked, they simply have to liquidate the phones with the tegra 2 in them so they don't go to waste.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dyezak

dyezak Well-Known Member

DT: These are both ARM processors with the same architecture. It would be the same thing as Dell offering a desktop with two different Core i7 processors (hardware wise).

There may need to be different drivers and software tweaks in the Kernel, but it really isn't that big of a deal on the software side. That's the power of Android in the first place, the ability to run on such a wide array of hardware...

3. DT

DT Android Expert

I agree from an architectural consideration (I'm a developer/architect/consultant for ~20 years), but I'm talking specifically about the two considerations I mentioned.

The Samsung corporate site has a page with information about the CPU and it discusses specifically Samsung developed CPU (which is a great marketing story: i.e., we make the phone and the CPU it uses). So if there's a Tegra variant, there will be a little * next to Samsung CPU and at the bottom something to the effect of: * In some markets, other markets get this other CPU that we didn't design, but it's really good too.

It just creates noise in the message, regardless of how complex or trivial the actual implementation is.

4. I tend to agree. I dont believe that there is a tegra component

5. Gibbyson

Gibbyson Well-Known Member

Seems they developed both, as far as fielding both, who knows. Time will tell i guess.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews