• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S2 (SGH-T989) Battery 50% Crash

whoandwhy

Lurker
Oct 29, 2018
Not sure if this is unique but I'm having a strange issue with my phone (Love it, and would rather not abandon it) where, and this started fairly recently after using a new phone charger cause my old broke, after 100% charge, and some use to around 50% approx. I would end up having my phone just up and crash. The whole phone just shuts itself down immediately, as a rundown of what's new since it started doing this;

1. I've inserted a sim card after a looooong few years of this thing not having one. (I have extremely high doubts that it's a problem but who knows, stranger things have happened)
2. I've changed it's current method of charging from a USB connected to my PC, which I recently had to change due to the old USB breaking from wear and tear.

Some things I've noticed that might be worth mentioning are also that I was forced to stop charging via pc (at least with this usb, heavily considering just ordering a new replacement stock wall charger for this model) and instead use USB to outlet because when in USB it would always attempt to transfer data and after a bit of not transferring any files, it would disconnect and reconnect the connection. Also that the battery has started to blow up a bit (its very very very likely (if not absolutely because of) the plug I was using has been torture to my battery and is a massive red flag that I should be using the stock charger cord.)

Apologies for my scatterbrained thoughts here, trying to list off all the important details as I'd really really love to just have this be 'oh get a new battery it'll be fine' and not 'your phone is on it's last legs, get a new one.'

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones