• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Spotted!

nklenchik

Android Enthusiast
Sep 23, 2010
Yew Nork
Rumor comfirmed.

The Samsung Galaxy S2 line of smartphones have been "leaked" so to speak.

Spec wise:

4.3 inch Super Amoled WVGA display.
8.49mm in thickness.
Dual core processors.
Android 2.3 Gingerbread.
samsung_galaxy_s_ii_official_1.jpg

samsung_galaxy_s_ii_official_2.jpg

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-galaxy-s-ii-and-galaxy-tab-10-1-officially-pictured-13133034/
Credit goes to slashgear.com

I am not sure what problems you are having, but I love my SF. I do not have a single complaint, with the exception of hulu not working....

as much as i like my fascinate as well...i hope (although i really doubt) that samsung updates their phones in a more timely fashion....since the sgs2 is launching with android 2.3...i fully expect it to be stuck on gingerbread for the length of the phone

Upvote 0
Another whine thread!

In fact, it doesn't matter -- LTE isn't going to fit into that thing, and by the time Samsung sneaks CDMA in there no one will want a high-end 3G phone.

In other words: that godawful-looking thing we saw at CES is all we'll have access to for a long time, unless we switch carriers.

Upvote 0
Sweet! Hopefully it's not an update nightmare/fail like our fascinates stand right now!

So many better phones out there. This may be one bridge Samsung has perminately burned.

Haha they sold so many SGS phones last year, I just hope they don't forget about us. Big companies always lena toward the next big thing. Not sure how I'm gonna like that extra .3 inches on there :D I had a DX back in July and August and changed it for this baby when it came out in September...then I heard it got Froyo around the 22nd or so hahaha

Upvote 0
Sweet! Hopefully it's not an update nightmare/fail like our fascinates stand right now!

So many better phones out there. This may be one bridge Samsung has perminately burned.

I think most people with forgive and forget about the lack of upgrades and 2.2 in general. However, for myself...Samsung has created a perception problem (at least to me) in that it appears like past devices are neglected in favor of new phones.

I mean ... come on! The galaxy 1's are still don't have Froyo??? Yet the Galaxy 2's come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread!! It isn't like our Galaxy 1's are that old ... what like only 5 months! Crazy!

Upvote 0
I think most people with forgive and forget about the lack of upgrades and 2.2 in general. However, for myself...Samsung has created a perception problem (at least to me) in that it appears like past devices are neglected in favor of new phones.

I mean ... come on! The galaxy 1's are still don't have Froyo??? Yet the Galaxy 2's come with Android 2.3 Gingerbread!! It isn't like our Galaxy 1's are that old ... what like only 5 months! Crazy!

Me forget.....nope not a chance. I was told (granted by people that weren't in the know) that my SF would be upgraded to 2.2 by the end of October (the month I bought it in)...I do like my Fascinate, but I tend to try and not do business with companies that "slack" especially in customer service and integrity....I know I might be being a little tough....but this is the reason I do not have an HTC product. I had the Eris and it was all but forgotten by HTC (and Verizon)....I was fooled by HTC and all of there customers are our business crap..... I am running out of manufacturers.....
conspiracy.jpg

Upvote 0
Me forget.....nope not a chance. I was told (granted by people that weren't in the know) that my SF would be upgraded to 2.2 by the end of October (the month I bought it in)...I do like my Fascinate, but I tend to try and not do business with companies that "slack" especially in customer service and integrity....I know I might be being a little tough....but this is the reason I do not have an HTC product. I had the Eris and it was all but forgotten by HTC (and Verizon)....I was fooled by HTC and all of there customers are our business crap..... I am running out of manufacturers.....
conspiracy.jpg

Just stop worrying about updates so much. No company is gonna support an old device that has a replacement and definitely not with Android's track record of an update every few months. Realistically no updates should be given after a year. The only sure boat is Apple, where even the original iPhone is updated simultaneously, except for features where the original hardware just isn't capable of. A person obsessed about updates would already be rooting and installing custom roms anyhoo, so the actual number of people who don't care about custom roms but want timely updates is extremely small, spiked every now and then when a stray casual user reads that one comment or forum post and thinks it really is the end of the world if there isn't an update but really has no idea what the update will do.

Upvote 0
Just stop worrying about updates so much. No company is gonna support an old device that has a replacement and definitely not with Android's track record of an update every few months. Realistically no updates should be given after a year. The only sure boat is Apple, where even the original iPhone is updated simultaneously, except for features where the original hardware just isn't capable of. A person obsessed about updates would already be rooting and installing custom roms anyhoo, so the actual number of people who don't care about custom roms but want timely updates is extremely small, spiked every now and then when a stray casual user reads that one comment or forum post and thinks it really is the end of the world if there isn't an update but really has no idea what the update will do.

Pretty much the truth. I rooted and have 2.2 on my phone and I love it. I had the phone for a whole day when I rooted it (I came from a rooted Eris). As he said, if there is someone who wants to customize the phone and cares about updates, they are over in the root forum figuring out how to do it.

Upvote 0

If either of the devices I mentioned were a year old (at that time) I would be a lot more understanding. Don't get me wrong...I still do like my SF (oh and I actually do know of some things that 2.2 would be able to do for my device) but having a device that is approximately 5 months old which has such great hardware capabilities....that is a shame that Samsung and/or Verizon will not support....as far as rooting....I most likely will if the rumored 2.2 OTA doesn't come by the end of this month...it will be nice to get rid of some of the bloat. I do have an update waiting but I want to see what this summer will bring.
tinfoil-hat.jpg

Upvote 0
I think the phone is beautiful and will be getting one as soon as a 4g version is out. Not worrying about updates can't see them adding anything through a firmware that would significantly upgrade these new phones in a year. The screen and form factor of these galaxy s phones have me hooked. And besides it seems from what I read these other companies are getting more anti dev community.

Upvote 0
If either of the devices I mentioned were a year old (at that time) I would be a lot more understanding. Don't get me wrong...I still do like my SF (oh and I actually do know of some things that 2.2 would be able to do for my device) but having a device that is approximately 5 months old which has such great hardware capabilities....that is a shame that Samsung and/or Verizon will not support....as far as rooting....I most likely will if the rumored 2.2 OTA doesn't come by the end of this month...it will be nice to get rid of some of the bloat. I do have an update waiting but I want to see what this summer will bring.
tinfoil-hat.jpg

Six months is around the next product cycle. These updates are very marginal at best. You are part of that small minority I am talking about. There's nothing wrong with wanting updates, but they never claim or guarantee an update, and expecting as much when no one else in the industry is doing it is delusional. They design the phone around one version of Android and fix any bugs, but aren't going to add any new features. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you put down money to pay for the resources to keep a phone up-to-date, manufacturers are not gonna care. Mac OSX gets a big cat themed update every year and it requires money each time. Windows has security updates and service packs, but they are bug/exploit fixes and do not really add any features. Going to Pro or Server or other builds with extra IT features will cost you a lot more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones