• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2/Thunderbolt + Dual Cores?

MercenaryFH

Feb 12, 2011
So as everyones seen the new Samsung Galaxy S2 is out with it's dual core awesomeness.

But then we have the Thunderbolt....coming out in a week or so with a single core? What gives?
Obviously Dual Cores are the future....but do you think every phone in the future will have a dual core (and by future I mean this year) or just some "performance phones". Because things like the Thunderbolt have a single core....but arguably are fast enough for most users.

What do you guys think?

It starts like this.

One has to assume that new phone needs at least a six month time to product cycle. I can assume HTC and Samsung can be very fast at that (not like Nokia or Blackberry) that a three month time maybe possible.

Given this cycle, the phone is likely to have the latest OS at the time when it was conceived. You can definitely say the Thunderbolt, Inspire, Atrix, LG Optimus 2X had conception dates that predate the introduction of Gingerbread, the date being right about the time they change the statue in front of the Google campus. The Galaxy SII had a much later conception date, probably about the time Gingerbread was already released to the makers.

The Thunderbolt as well as the Aspire, are versions of the Desire HD. The Desire HD was launched in September of 2010 but shipped around early November. Froyo sculpture appeared on May 20, 2010. I would assume Desire Z and Desire HD development started soon after that.

Gingerbread statue appeared on Google A4 building on October 23, 2010. I assume that Galaxy SII development was given the greenlight around November.

Why didn't Thunderbolt shift to Android 2.3 before launch? If they did that it would have delayed the product launch because the update requires passing a lot of tests before given approval. Better not to tie down the product launch this way or your customer (the carrier like Verizon or AT&T) would seriously get pissed. Besides, when orders are made, it will be black and white. The specifications are fixed, including the OS version, in black and white and so is the delivery date.

I can imagine that sometime around November, HTC showed a Desire HD to Verizon representatives, and the Verizon people might have said, lets make a 4G phone out of this. Give HTC a little time to add LTE and so on.

Upvote 0
Soon, even budget androids will have dual cores. I forgot the name of the company that will be making them. But it would seem that's where we are headed and single crores will eventually fade...

But as of now, the single cores are very powerful still for the time being.

NVDA...you could have bought the stock for $9 a few months ago, now $25 :)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones