• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2, unable to browse phone folders via BlueTooth connection on windows PC

excalibr

Lurker
Sep 12, 2011
Greetings,

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S2, just wondering how bluetooth connection is supposed to work with a PC.

I have installed KIES on a Bluetooth enabled WinXP machine, and using a usb cable, I am able to connect to the GS2 device.

Under My Computer, it shows up as an icon GT-I9100T, and you can browse this just like any normal Windows folder.

How is this achieved via Bluetooth without using the cable?

On the phone itself, I switched on Bluetooth, made it visible for a while, and successfully PAIRED this with the WinXP machine. But the My Computer does not show the GT-I9100T icon for me to browse.

I simply assumed once the Windows machine and the phone connects, it works the same, regardless of the method of connection, is this an incorrect assumption?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, John

No it does not work the same. It depends on what bluetooth profiles the software you have loaded on the the XP machine provides. There are more than one type of Windows software Microsoft has a set, broadcomm has another. Bluetooth will not by default give open access to the connected device.

Most of the profiles will support 'file transfer' which will allow you to transfer file/s by dragging them to a specific windows folder, and they will appear in the phone under \sdcard\bluetooth. Other profile include 'Photo transfer' or similar - it goes to specific DCIM folder on the phone copies the photos to desktop then deletes them off the phone but only if they are in a specific folder (DCIM). The kind of access you are talking about is PAN personal area network, but I am not sure Bluetooth implementation on the phone supports it. The profile (PAN) has to exist on both sides.

Think of Bluetooth as supporting certain connectivity tasks, it is not like open access or sharded folders. It may be pssible to browse the phone over bluetooth, however it was not designed to be the same as a LAN connection.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones