• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S2 US Release Date/Carriers?

Do any of you have ANY clue at all regarding
1) The release date of Samsung Galaxy s2 for the US. Will it be later this month? In August? Even later?

And

2) The carriers that will have this phone. I heard that AT&T will be getting the original version of the phone, and AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint will be getting s2 variants. But what about T-Mobile? Will T-Mobile get the s2? Or not?

Samsung Attain Galaxy S II for AT&T Gets Pictured

This site has some photos leaked of the ATT version. Some people have claimed that this is an infuse, but the infuse has a flat back (no bump for the camera lense), and apparently the power button is different.

As for a release date, I found a site that rumored that the phone is being delayed for all carriers because Samsung and the carriers are having trouble coming to a deal on the contracts. If that is the case, then it seems that even the carriers don't know the date yet. Lets all hope it gets worked out soon.

Upvote 0
Didn't you read he said 1.5Ghz dual core snapdragon? Also it will have 1Gb RAM, 16Gb internal memory, up to 42Mpbs HSPA+. Infuse is nowhere near this kind of spec.

Heh, I don't know what happened there. I looked over it twice, but somehow didn't notice it was dual core. I thought the 1.2Ghz dual core was the highest clock that was out for dual core, I guess that is why. My understanding was that the S2 is using a 1.2Ghz dual core.

Upvote 0
Heh, I don't know what happened there. I looked over it twice, but somehow didn't notice it was dual core. I thought the 1.2Ghz dual core was the highest clock that was out for dual core, I guess that is why. My understanding was that the S2 is using a 1.2Ghz dual core.

Hercules has had dual core snapdragon processor in its spec since it first surfaced on IT medias. Though there are some speculations on the clock speed. It could be either 1.2 or 1.5Ghz. Its other specs are nearly identical or even better than Galaxy S2.

Upvote 0
Samsung Attain Galaxy S II for AT&T Gets Pictured

This site has some photos leaked of the ATT version. Some people have claimed that this is an infuse, but the infuse has a flat back (no bump for the camera lense), and apparently the power button is different.

As for a release date, I found a site that rumored that the phone is being delayed for all carriers because Samsung and the carriers are having trouble coming to a deal on the contracts. If that is the case, then it seems that even the carriers don't know the date yet. Lets all hope it gets worked out soon.

I don't think that alone really explains SGSII delay in US. They must have been negotiating this since May and it's still dragging? I guess Apple lawsuit is holding it up.

Upvote 0
I don't think that alone really explains SGSII delay in US. They must have been negotiating this since May and it's still dragging? I guess Apple lawsuit is holding it up.

Yeah, it is probably at least a factor. Especially since it seems to be coming out in Canada in about a week. If the whole world has it and the US doesn't, then it sounds like a case in US court could be a factor.

If that is the reason, I wish Samsung would get a backbone and just put it out. How can apple have the rights to a piece of glass with a screen behind it. (I know i'm probably over simplifying their case.) Touch screen systems have been around for decades. The notion of saying that making a phone nothing but a touchscreen with a speaker and microphone is exclusive to apple is crazy.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it is probably at least a factor. Especially since it seems to be coming out in Canada in about a week. If the whole world has it and the US doesn't, then it sounds like a case in US court could be a factor.

If that is the reason, I wish Samsung would get a backbone and just put it out. How can apple have the rights to a piece of glass with a screen behind it. (I know i'm probably over simplifying their case.) Touch screen systems have been around for decades. The notion of saying that making a phone nothing but a touchscreen with a speaker and microphone is exclusive to apple is crazy.

That's not really what Apple is saying, they're more like saying Samsung touchwiz copied the look and feel of iOS (which, it didn't really). Otherwise they would be suing all smartphone makers. Which, I guess they are suing HTC over different patents LOL...

Dont get me wrong, I hate Apple and think the lawsuit is BS.

Personally I dont think the lawsuit is the reason. I'm not sure what the reaon is. I hate Verizon so I'll just continue to put out the theory that Verizon is the one that delayed it so a CDMA LTE radio could be engineered in, and they wouldn't allow Samsung to release it on other carriers before them, so everybody got delayed.

I also read recently that XDA found some code suggesting Samsung is putting LTE in the ATT version of the SGS2, so I really think it's radio shenanigans. That and perhaps giving them time to manufacture a good stock.

I also read the thing on Engadget that Bell (Canada carrier) may be getting it on July 21. I consider that very good news if true, it's getting closer literally and figuratively.

Upvote 0
That's not really what Apple is saying, they're more like saying Samsung touchwiz copied the look and feel of iOS (which, it didn't really). Otherwise they would be suing all smartphone makers. Which, I guess they are suing HTC over different patents LOL...

Dont get me wrong, I hate Apple and think the lawsuit is BS.

Personally I dont think the lawsuit is the reason. I'm not sure what the reaon is. I hate Verizon so I'll just continue to put out the theory that Verizon is the one that delayed it so a CDMA LTE radio could be engineered in, and they wouldn't allow Samsung to release it on other carriers before them, so everybody got delayed.

I also read recently that XDA found some code suggesting Samsung is putting LTE in the ATT version of the SGS2, so I really think it's radio shenanigans. That and perhaps giving them time to manufacture a good stock.

I also read the thing on Engadget that Bell (Canada carrier) may be getting it on July 21. I consider that very good news if true, it's getting closer literally and figuratively.

That was the first lawsuits Apple started. But that's not the whole story on Apple/Samsung lawsuits war. A few months ago, they filed another one requesting ban on importing Galaxy phones and tablets to US. They are fighting over this one more seriously now.

By the way, there is USA today report today that says Verizon SGSII is coming on 07/21, but without citing source. So there is hope.

Upvote 0
That was the first lawsuits Apple started. But that's not the whole story on Apple/Samsung lawsuits war. A few months ago, they filed another one requesting ban on importing Galaxy phones and tablets to US. They are fighting over this one more seriously now.

By the way, there is USA today report today that says Verizon SGSII is coming on 07/21, but without citing source. So there is hope.

Hm, anyone have a link to the USA today report?
And, can anyone answer my question about TMO and GS2? Will TMO get it at all? Rumors are the herecules to be released in setptember...why so late when other carriers get it in late July/early August?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
UKSvp.jpg

Upvote 0
Totally rumor !!!!!! I called verizon and no one heard of this news! Disapointed!!!!!!

In all honesty, the people who answer the phones (customer service) will always know a lot less than you. If you're browsing the forums you'll very likely find a leak or rumor that they wouldn't see. I'd say a very large percentage of those reps go there to work and don't research this type of information, plus Verizon will NEVER tell a rep something that hasn't already been publicly announced.

That said, I find that 'July 21st' date to be a little suspicious. No evidence of where it's coming from and that's the only source. As much as I WISH it was true I'll believe it when I see it.

Reactions: Sandroidfan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones