1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S20 Screen Retention or Burn-In?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CowboyCombat, Jun 18, 2020.

1. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

I've had my phone for about two months now and while I really like the device I have recently noticed (and driving myself nuts lol) what looks to be screen burn in or what I've read could also be image retention. These are images on the keyboard after being up for about 60 seconds. It does fade back to normal but I'd just like some feedback from anyone who's aware of this happening or maybe experience the same thing. That final image is my device back to normal after only a few seconds. Not sure what to make of this.

Attached Files:

2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

i would take it in to where you bought it. if it is burn in then you should get it replaced. not much you can do if it is a hardware issue.

Dannydet and MrJavi like this.
  3. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

But its strange its only there for a few seconds. And doesn't affect anything else. My A50 which is Amoled obviously also does it as well just not as noticeable.

MrJavi likes this.
  4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

well if it goes away.......that is odd. the only thing i can think of is doing a factory reset. if it still occurs then something is wrong. you can either deal with it or take it in and get it replaced.

the s20 is a high-end flagship phone from Samsung. there should be no issues with the screen as you are showing. for me i would try my suggestion first and then take it in to get it replaced, if the reset does not work. there is no excuse for a bad screen.

Dannydet likes this.
  5. svim

svim Extreme Android User

That doesn't appear to be burn-in but rather something like a resolution mis-match issue. Burn-in is when the you see a constant, ghosted image in the display. Those screen shots vary according to what's being displayed. Try going into your Settings >> Display menu and check the various color mode, display size, etc. options to see if something needs to be adjusted accordingly.

MrJavi, Dannydet and Hadron like this.
  6. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

Messed around a bit and took 120hz off maybe slight improvement as well as lowering brightness but I did still see it. Here's the big thing though thats stopping me from just calling it an issue, it only happens after leaving the keyboard up on a dark screen for maybe 30 seconds or more but it doesn't affect anything else really. I just don't get it.

MrJavi and ocnbrze like this.
  7. svim

Try changing the screen resolution:
    https://www.howtogeek.com/662484/samsung-galaxy-s20-how-to-change-your-screen-resolution/
    Something like fuzzy text is often due to a resolution vs display specifications issue.
    Also try changing the font size, larger or smaller, even just temporarily. Perhaps it's just a glitch matter so tweaking the size up and down might 'reset' things back to a normal state.
    https://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00078941/
    Those screen captures you posted were all text. Is this problem also occurring with everything? (images, icons, dialog box outlines, etc.)

8. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

Lol. Im not here about the resolution. The photo is only that way because of how it was taken. The resolution is perfectly fine. I'm here about the keyboard ghost image. I was hoping to hear about similar experiences or any information on temporary screen retention on OLED screens.

9. svim

The AMOLED display in your S20 may be quite advanced but it's still vulnerable to resolution distortion. Back when CRT monitors were the norm with desktops, resolution was a tweakable variable, Once LCD monitors became more prevalent, display resolution settings became much more defined. That same specificity has carried over to our smartphone AMOLED/OLED/IPS displays. The height and width pixel counts in any mobile device are establish ratios.

ocnbrze likes this.
  10. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Nope. Burn-in is not your problem.

11. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

While that is definitely very informative unfortunately I'm not sure that helped me answer the specific case that I am dealing with. I truly do appreciate all the feedback though.

12. CowboyCombat

CowboyCombat Lurker

Normal screen retention then?

13. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

More like a transition. I'm not sure where you turn those off though?

puppykickr likes this.
  14. puppykickr

puppykickr Android Expert

If it is a transition, isnt the timing for that adjustable in developers options?

15. dontpanicbobby

VIP Member

I haven't tried that yet. I only really used them once. I'm not a developer. My last 3 phones have had few problems.

16. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Developer options on mine has options for transition animations (though what's in that menu does vary a bit between devices and software versions).
    Screenshot_20200620-153933.png

Samsung Galaxy S20 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S20 release date was March 6th, 2020. Features and Specs include a 6.2" inch screen, 64MP camera, 12GB RAM, Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865 processor, and 4000mAh battery.

March 6th, 2020
Release Date
Reviews
Specs