1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S3 battery

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ronald Weasley, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ronald Weasley

Hi
    So I am just fiddling around with my new phone. I found that under setting -> battery, it breaks down the battery usage. My second highest one is Google + and I sort of worried about this because I hardly use my google+. What should I do to stop my battery draining from this?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. damewolf13

damewolf13 live~laugh~love

Welcome to Android Forums, Ronald Weasley!
    We are glad you have joined us here. :)

I have moved this thread into the S3 forum so that those who own the S3 can post their tips to help you with this battery issue.

3. Ronald Weasley

Given some thought, it could be because I was hanging out a lot at the "play store"? I think that's run by google+ right?

4. zemerick

zemerick Android Enthusiast

No it is not. Tonight, put the phone on the charger and restart it. If there was an issue with Google+ this should clear it. If it is still high on the list, it will indeed need to be looked into. Google+ should NOT be at the top.

On the S3 the main battery users are the Screen and Cell Standby. Any decently intensive apps could make it up there if you use them a lot as well. It would take a fair bit to get over those 2 though. Example: Right now I'm sitting at 59% screen, 22% cell standby, 8% internet. Usage and settings can shuffle things around a fair bit, but you can pretty well and count on those 2 being the top 2 in most cases.

PS: In that battery window, you can also select individual processes to see their usage times, time without signal ( on the cell standby ), wakelocks, and a few other things. Then you can also click on the graph at the top for a better graph view. This second one is very important for watching for Wakelocks.

A wakelock is where an app asks the phone to stay awake even the screen is off. A normal example is Pandora. You want to keep streaming the music, but you want the screen off to save battery. So, while playing music, Pandora always keeps the phone awake. However, sometimes an app or service goes haywire and sends wakelocks non-stop killing your battery as the phone never goes to sleep.

You can compare the blue bars "Screen On" and "Awake". Those 2 should usually line up really closely. However, any time using for example Pandora while the screen is off will obviously cause discrepancies. Also, for anything such as email to sync, they have to very briefly wake the phone. So, small lines of awake while the screen is off is normal. For a wakelock problem, what you are looking for is a completely solid Awake bar, while you still had sizable stretches of the phone off and idle.

5. Ronald Weasley

Thanks
    Yesterday night, I put it on charge, this morning it was 100% but as soon as took it out, and by 1 pm it was 0% because of the Google+. I unchecked instant upload which seems to be the culprit. Hopefully it will be okay now. Thanks again

6. ddamitav

ddamitav Lurker

Hi,

When I charge my S3 with switched on, it does not charge though the charging indicator is on. and when I switched off the phone and put it under charging then it started charging but its very slow after 6 hours of contineous charging the battery charged only 80%.

Please help

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews