1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Samsung Galaxy S3 - black screen result of dropping on floor

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by tampaite, Apr 16, 2016.

1. tampaite

tampaite Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2016
    Hello All,

I searched on the forum before creating this thread - need some clarification.

I dropped S3 onto the floor even though it had SEIDIO cover installed. The screen went from being 10% screen covered in a black to the entire screen going black in matter of few hours.

My options:
    1. Get a "new" phone.
    2. Get a replacement "Digitizer" which I think means getting a new screen, LCD etc.
    3. Get a phone with bad ESN and try to replace the motherboard only

Need clarification on #3.

I have a AT&T unlocked phone (Model SGH-I747) that am using with a T-mobile MVNO(Lycamobile).

Do I need the same phone model to swap mother board or can I buy any GSM supported S3 and swamp motherboards?

Also, am still able to get phone calls(have to blindly swipe to accept them) - Is there a way to view text message etc even though the screen is blank?
    I suppose I can't install any apps like air driod to view messages.

Advertisement

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    All 3 are good options.
    1- A new phone or good used will allow you to run a more updated Android version. 4.4.2 is as high as the S3 will get unless you root and install a custom ROM. There are a few good and stable 5.1 Roms available for the i747.

2- If you like the S3 you can usually get a replacement digitizer and replace it yourself for around $80 or less with shipping.

3- Swapping you motherboard into another GSM S3 is also pretty easy. I have put i747's in T999L's and vice versa. CDMA S3 frames are different and have to be modified with Drimel tool and still a pain to get it to fit properly.

Check what is available at Swapa. Best place for good used phones and also their Bone Yard for parts phones.

https://swappa.com

svim and tampaite like this.
  3. tampaite

tampaite Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2016
    Thanks Jfalls.

I saw few online videos and it looks like swapping a motherboard is simpler than having to change the digitizer.

Any thoughts on if it's possible to push an app to view my current text messages?

I used Samsung Kies to back up the data.

4. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    If you have USB debugging enabled you might be able to side load a APK but not something I have tried or know how to do. Still trying to get comfortable with ADB and would have to search for which to use and process.

5. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    Another place I have picked up used phones to play with is a local pawn shop. May be a quick option for a used S3 to put your motherboard in.

6. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
    I think there is a special cable that you can get and be able to connect your phone together with a monitor and mouse and be able to view and control phone that way. Might look at Amazon.

7. tampaite

tampaite Lurker
    None

Apr 16, 2016
    Update:

There is an option called "screen mirroring" if you have a samsung smart TV or any media player(like WDTV live) that am briefly able to connect but connection is very poor.
    I was hoping to install an app to allow me access to my phone log and text/whats app messaging etc.

I ended up ordering a used phone online but will continue to look for replacement digitizer over the next few weeks.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  8. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama