• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 charging port broken & external batteries not working much anymore :(

GalaxyDrama

Lurker
Sep 24, 2014
Hi everyone!
I hope I can get some advice here
smile.png

Overnight my Samsung 3 just stopped charging. It wasn't gradual like it was with my last phone
which if I wiggled would eventually work. I had months of notice that the phone was on its way out.

So I purchased 2 batteries and 2 external battery chargers.

The battery the phone came with is a Samsung original, the 2 I bought were not.

One of the charges was a Samsung original, the other not.

One was wall charger, the other micro USB which is awesome because that one I can charge on my laptop
and in the car.

On ebay there are people with many good reviews that fix the charging port. Apparently on the Samsung Galaxy 3 it's a known issue...

So here is my latest issue....sometimes the chargers don't charge at all sometimes they do, failure rate is the same with both the original and generic. Also, it's taking longer and longer to get a full charge than ever before (when I get it). And when I do get it, it lasts less and less. The generic and non generic batteries in both the generic and non generic chargers cause me trouble, any combination does.

So I have to get the port fixed, it's no longer just about the inconvenience of charging batteries all the time, switching them out, carrying them around etc....

My questions are:

1. Why am I having so much external battery charging issues that are getting worse and worse?
2. What do I do about the batteries draining issue? Because even if I fix the port, the other issue would remain, right? One repair guy said it *may* fix the other problem but wasn't sure.

One ebay guy thought maybe the generic stuff is the issue but like I said, happens as much with the original Samsung.
Another said maybe I need to reset my phone once I fix the charging port issue. No one was certain though.

Before I go without a phone and pay to get the port fixed, does anyone have any idea what do to about my batteries draining? Because that's as big if not bigger issue. *I want to send it to the repair guy who can take care of both problems.*

Any help appreciated, sorry this was so long :/ Thanks!

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones