1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S3 getting slower

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iwhiteout, Jul 3, 2013.

1. iwhiteout

iwhiteout Newbie

I could really use some advice here. I currently have a Galaxy S3 on T Mobile. I use the phone A LOT. I probably kill 2-3 batteries per day. The phone was bought new in November and is not rooted. It is on the current update and running stock.

The phone has gotten perpetually slower and slower, especially when texting. Text messages take 10+ seconds to open and often when I type it hangs up for 5-10 seconds before letters appear. It has now gotten so bad it take 10+ seconds to go back to the main text screen and I am not receiving about 1 of every 20 texts. Regular programs all run slow also. I also have it set not to store more than 200 messages from any one user.

This use to happen with my EVO over time and the only fix was to reflash the ROM and start fresh. I am hoping I dont have to do that with this phone as I dont want to spend the time setting everything back up. I seem to remember being able to clear the dalvik cache with my EVO and it helped but I again think that erases most of the phones content, unless I am remembering wrong.

Is there anything I can do without starting fresh or does anyone know why this happens? I am going to go to the T Mobile store but I have little faith in their ability.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jj2me

jj2me Well-Known Member

I don't have this phone, but in my experience, lag is inversely proportional to free RAM.

Check your RAM (in JB: Settings, Application manager, Running). If you've got a low amount (on my phone that number is about 100 MB), then do something about the RAM hogs. Like kill and see if it doesn't restart itself, or find alternative apps, or freeze/unfreeze of you're rooted.

3. iwhiteout

iwhiteout Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I double checked and I have .91gb used and 660mb free. I dont think that is enough to cause the issue.

4. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Try booting into recovery and "clear cache partition" :thumbup:

How full is your internal storage?

nuttynat84 likes this.
  5. nuttynat84

nuttynat84 Member

Definitely try this!! It worked for me, and I haven't noticed anything being wiped (my contacts, texts etc are all still there)

6. iwhiteout

iwhiteout Newbie

Thanks for the advice. I did try this and it helped a little but the problem still exists. My internal storage is less than half full so I dont think that is the reason.

In speaking with T Mobile they told me with people that use their phone excessively sometimes the phone has to be factory reset. I am guessing that is the only thing that will solve this entirely.

7. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Without root there's not much else you can try other than uninstalling unused apps, clearing messaging/call history

8. mandala

mandala Lurker

Try clearing old text messages. Esp. MMS. Many thousands can really bog you down. Try backing them up (don't know if you need root for that) and delete them all.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews