1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S3 / Kies

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by BOOTHMEISTER, Jan 6, 2013.

1. BOOTHMEISTER

BOOTHMEISTER Lurker

Howdy folks.

I'm looking for a little bit of advice that I just can't seem to find answer to. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S3 and want to use Kies to upgrade the firmware to the latest version.
    The issue I have is that when I download Kies from the Samsung website it looks nothing like the Kies that the website shows/describes. The one I have is dark in colour with orange headers everywhere but the version on the tutorial shows a silver, more modern looking Kies?
    The version I have doesn't seem to have any links or headings to allow a firmware upgrade and all the tutorials refer to the more modern looking version?

Where am i going wrong?

Cheers, Chris.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

On the Kies on your computer, choose "Help" on the toolbar then select "check for updates". This will update the Kies program. Then you can update your phone.

Mikestony likes this.
  3. BOOTHMEISTER

BOOTHMEISTER Lurker

i have finally manage to get the correct version of Kies on my PC but the phone will not connect via cable so I can do the firmware upgrade? Sometimes its asking about USB debugging and others it says the device is locked? It will only connect via wifi by inputting the URL in my browser?

4. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

If you put the device on USB debugging it will allow you to install firmware updates like this from Kies.

(Thread moved into the Galaxy S3 forum)

Mikestony likes this.
  5. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

I moved your thread here to better assist you Boothmeister!
    As more folks with your device here can also help:)

@DC....you must've posted whilst the thread was being moved, and I didn't p.m. you about it...:p

6. BOOTHMEISTER

BOOTHMEISTER Lurker

Thanks for the thread move. Wasn't sure what the best location would be to be honest but like you say I'll probably get more info from the S3 owners.

I've tried to connect my device with the debugging on and it still doesn't connect? It finds the device and shows it in Kies but with a padlock on it? It just says the device is locked so it doesn't allow to me to access it. Screen is unlocked and can't think what else it would be referring to?

7. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±
    VIP Member

I don't use kies myself but do you have the phone drivers installed?

8. BOOTHMEISTER

BOOTHMEISTER Lurker

Yes mate. PC recognises the phone being connected.

9. rapidsandroid

rapidsandroid Android Enthusiast

How safe is Kies Air to use as far as privacy?
    I mean, when we transfer files between phone and computer via Kies Air, do they go through a Samsung server? And, if yes, do they keep copies or use any of that data to build profiles on their customers? Or, is it just a direct connection to our own computer via our own wifi network like bluetooth?

10. BOOTHMEISTER

BOOTHMEISTER Lurker

Well I'm not sure how but it's now working. It seems to work if I connect the phone and Kies start automatically rather than starting it beforehand. Even weirder is that Windows also flagged that updates were ready and one of them was a a Samsung driver update?

After all that I seem that the have the latest firmware too, ha ha.

Thanks for all the input from those who posted.

Chris.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews