• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Galaxy S3 KILLS SD CARDS!!!!!!

Yo guys.
this is my 1st pose...i actually register just to share the tips
I had similar problems with u all..
been buying new sd card , reset the phone etc.
All not working...

And what the heck...i try inserting a thin piece of paper above my sd card.
after 3rd try , it ACTUALLY WORK...!!!!!:):):):D
Fyi
i use paper that usually use in credit card receipts ...it just happen to be there when i try this.:p
I cut and double folded it at the half size of my SD...

So I guess the problem is mechanical give away of the tension spring in the sd card slot...

Check this out
http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/808009-s3-does-not-kill-sd-cards.html

Other options to fix:
Not sure if this was posted but:

Try this:
TestDisk Download - CGSecurity

(they talk about it on page 10 or 11 in the thread below)

The thread below may work too

Damaged microSD Card...(this is how I recovered my Data) - xda-developers

http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/808009-s3-does-not-kill-sd-cards.html

My S3 has killed 4 32GB SD cards (mix of Transcend and SanDisk). I noticed the same thing while using a SD card tester app to verify a card I suspected was going bad. The app did a bunch of read/write operations and during the test, and after only a few minutes the card got so hot it was uncomfortable to touch.

Check the apps you have disabled...http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s3/808009-s3-does-not-kill-sd-cards.html

(EDITED)
The solution is for Samsung to admit that they have a problem, and for Samsung and Sandisk to fix the problems. Supposedly, Sandisk has reportedly fixed theirs. Those with bad cards may want to contact Sandisk for replacements. Samsung will probably never own up to their phone having a problem.

maybe you screwed up

Upvote 0
After 8 months of usage. First video using FolderMount to store application data on external SD Card was made within the last week. 2nd video testing 70 Megapixel & below picture zooming was done near the date when I first bought the card. Bought from Maplins store. I would recommend buying from a reputable store to avoid disappointment.

I'm now using an application called FolderMount to move lots of data used by applications from the phones internal SD Card to my Samsung UHS-I external SD Card.

This allows me to have plenty of free space on the phones internal SD Card & also speed up applications a significant amount due to the UHS-I fast data rate, Ultra High Speed meaning music faster than external SD Card's which are Class 10. Please note that the recording software I installed to record this video slows down the speed of the phone significantly so the video footage you see is not indicative of the true speed of the phone using FolderMount or AndroidTuner to put applications onto the external Samsung UHS-I SD Card. The speed is delightful and a great experience to use, and any large loading times in this video are a tenth of what they truly are when not using the recording application to record this video.

I also used Android Tuner application from the Google Play store to use the "SD-Link" feature to put Dolphin Browser & several other programs onto the Samsung UHS-I SD Card.

This is after using this SD Card for over 8 months, as my previous SD Card Test using this same SD Card shows.

Upvote 0
One theory debunked. One posted theory (too many posts to go back and look for the actual post) was the sd will stop functioning of you drop your phone. I recently mounted a brand new Samsung class 10 32gb the other weekend and the card stopped functioning only a few days later. Keep I'm mind, this is my third sd. My last one was the same type of sd as the one that just died and lasted almost a year.

I did not stop my phone this time so the theory of dropping your phone is out. There still is the possibility that it fruits when your phone heats up.

I only wish Samsung researchers would read the forums to see what the people are complaining about abs try to fix the problems rather than add more features.

Upvote 0
One theory debunked. One posted theory (too many posts to go back and look for the actual post) was the sd will stop functioning of you drop your phone. I recently mounted a brand new Samsung class 10 32gb the other weekend and the card stopped functioning only a few days later. Keep I'm mind, this is my third sd. My last one was the same type of sd as the one that just died and lasted almost a year.

I did not stop my phone this time so the theory of dropping your phone is out. There still is the possibility that it fruits when your phone heats up.

I only wish Samsung researchers would read the forums to see what the people are complaining about abs try to fix the problems rather than add more features.

i dont think its heat...i think its a write issue to the card...something is going a miss somewhere. i was in america and i filmed the ice hockey and the nfl and some fireworks at disneyland. some of them worked, the others didnt. When i checked through my phone...it killed the nfl and disney videos and any photos i took after that. As soon as i switched storage to my phone i had no problems. Its a problem we will never be able to fix as i think its just a glitch with the phone and the software. Most of us experience it...others dont. Id like to see if a brand new one out the box with NO apps installed did the same. There could be an app or some apps that stuff up the programming of the phone. The only work around as been mentioned is back up and check regularly that your photos are saving.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I don't believe it is only Samsung products. I have had the following Android devices:

LG Ally
Droid X
Acer Iconia A500 tablet

And in EVERY DEVICE I have had SD cards suddenly fail. The A500 liked to lose connection with the SD card on a regular basis. The A500 itself is now dead, and replaced with a different tablet.

It is for this reason that I make a full backup of the content of my SD card (along with a nandroid) every week and store it on my PC. I can't tell you how many microSD cards I've had to replace across these devices. PNY, Kingston, Sandisk, etc. The brands never mattered. 4GB, 8GB, 16GB, that doesn't matter either. Class 4, Class 10, same story. Eventually, it seems, every one of them will die on me. Keeping the data backed up is the only solution, so I can replace it easily when the card suddenly fails to be recognized, by the device AND by 2 different PCs running Win7 or WinXP.

So, I don't have any idea why so many of these cards die, but I don't think the device in which it is used is to blame. Maybe it is just poor quality cramming all that memory into a fingernail sized piece of plastic?

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
My last 2 sd cards were Samsung

When I was reviewing SD cards for the S3, I did see a lot of ppl complaining about losing data on their cards which is probably why I choose to by the Samsung brand SD card even though it was more $$$. Lessen the chance of losing my data.

No problems after having it for 3-4 months so far

*knock* *knock
-------wood--------

Upvote 0
My last 2 sd cards were Samsung

Received notice on my Samsung Galaxy 3 smartphone that software needed to be updated and responded. As soon as software was updated, I received message "damaged sd card." While my photos and videos seem to be intact, 95% of my music was gone! Any thoughts on this??

did either of you guys do video recording or pix straight to your Sd card?

Upvote 0
Hi, in response to the latest (?) query, it would seem that the phone video software affects... as an observation of the occurrences of the last year.

I have been lucky in that over a year my card is still ok but I have not taken any video w this phone. I alwalys use something else, say, my ipad mini or my Cannon camera.

Additionally, every weekend my phones auto-backsup with two different apps and sends the backups files to one of my email addresses. And just in case, I copy the full card every few months onto a Mac and onto another 30GB SD card. With the pics, I have automated uploads to Dropbox and from there to my Macs and iPad Mini.

It may seem overkill but the probabilities of losing everything is quite minimised and makes me feel better!!! :)

Upvote 0
Received notice on my Samsung Galaxy 3 smartphone that software needed to be updated and responded. As soon as software was updated, I received message "damaged sd card." While my photos and videos seem to be intact, 95% of my music was gone! Any thoughts on this??
Marienel, think about my posting today...perhaps... Hi, in response to the latest (?) query, it would seem that the phone video software affects... as an observation of the occurrences of the last year.

I have been lucky in that over a year my card is still ok but I have not taken any video w this phone. I alwalys use something else, say, my ipad mini or my Cannon camera.

Additionally, every weekend my phones auto-backsup with two different apps and sends the backups files to one of my email addresses. And just in case, I copy the full card every few months onto a Mac and onto another 30GB SD card. With the pics, I have automated uploads to Dropbox and from there to my Macs and iPad Mini.

It may seem overkill but the probabilities of losing everything is quite minimised and makes me feel better!!! :)

Upvote 0
I factory reset my phone put in a new Kingston 8 GB class 4 and its fried. I am very distraught. 4th card destroyed

When you factory reset your phone, did you reformat your card as well. I have found that many people had actually used the same SD card from their previous phone with the old OS "signature" and they had problems. Yes, even 4.1.2 has its own "signature" when writing to the card, because it is a different camera code and build through and through.

I also noticed that people who formatted their cards also copied and pasted the entire DCIM folder over from their PC. Best bet for you, reformat the SD card, don't move the media over yet, go to "camera", take a video and picture so it writes its own "signature" of that folder onto your SD card, then go to your PC, copy and paste the contents of your DCIM folder over to your SD, not the actual folder, just what's inside the folder.

This worked for others, maybe it will work for you...I hope anyway...GOOD LUCK!

Upvote 0
I received my S3 today. First thing I did was do the initial setup, and then I did the 4.1 to 4.3 upgrade. Then I accessed the recovery menu, and did a full factory reset. I then downloaded, and installed all my applications. I then connected my S3 to the computer via USB. Well, first, I downloaded the full usb drivers from Samsung, then plugged in my pone via USB and let it install the rest of the drivers. I then copied all my pictures I had backed up to the SD card, and not the internal space.

I'm using the following Micro SD Card, and as of yet. I have NO ISSUES regarding the phone eating cards, or creating issues with the card. I am indeed using a Samsung card and I did that purposely as I wanted a Samsung product as well has a class 10 card for under $30 for a 32GB.

Also, I did do the 4.1 to 4.3 update with the card installed, and then I did the factory reset with the card still in, and I have NO ISSUES. When it comes to flash memory, or anything hardware related. Don't cheap out, and buy cheap memory cards. Pay the extra $5 to $10 and get a reliable product. Ebay is good for certain things just like the dollar store is good for certain things but they both can be bad for certain things. Like SD cards, as the dollar store is bad for tin foil as it doesn't stay closed. ebay is hit or miss for certain things, and I stay away from certain things on ebay. I'm not saying you bought it from off ebay but when it comes to memory that you're going to be storing stuff on, pay the extra funds, and get something that you know will last.

Upvote 0
There is definitely an issue with S3 and SD cards. I had this happen to me at least 4-5 times over a 1.5 year span. The phone is un modded docomo. It doesn't actually fry the card though, if breaks the file system. You can re format and continue using (of course you loose all the data) I never keep any vital data on sd card, so I don't care that much. I just keep my music there, and when it's gone, I just re sync and continue using.

However this and the very cranky file transfer nature of KIES prompted me to never go with Samsung again. My contract is ending this september and I will be going for a Nexus or HTC if they have some good offering by then.

Upvote 0
I wish you the best of luck, C0ze, if you change brands. But I have had this exact same issue across several brands, using several brands of SD cards, including the "big name" ones. I now feel it is probably a hardware issue, and it is likely the smartphone and tablet manufacturers get many of the same micro-SD card holders they build into these devices from the same manufacturer. It seems like it suddenly loses connection. If that happens while at rest, simply remounting the card fixes it, as has worked several times for me. But of it happens while writing data, the card's file system gets borked, and it has to be reformatted. Maybe it has to do with the spring loaded nature of the holders, although some devices not using that style have still malfunctioned for me.

And I presume some of the failures are also simply poor quality inside the card. With such microscopic circuitry it is bound to happen, especially with them banging out these cards in mass production. And with my luck, the one bad card in a billion comes here. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Load, delete, and play media from my card all the time without a hitch.

Don't know what to say to those whose cards have croaked.

Same here. I have a class 10 G.Skill 32GB SD card which I have my camera and video recorder set to save to. I also keep around 8 movies on it to stream to my Samsung Smart TV using Samsung Link. I also have Chromecast and an app to stream vids to other TV's. Not a hint of a problem, yet. This is new to me. I am curious now.

For the record, I have a Straight Talk S3 running 4.1.2 on the Sprint network... SCH-S960L.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend has been having similar problems with her s3, 16gb. 32gb Class 10 SD Generic no-name brand from eBay. We been losing pictures etc, and most of her games transferred wouldn't work off of the sd card. I now inserted it into my laptop running win7 x64 SP1, had formatted it using FAT32 64kib, so far so good, no more warnings about not being able to install to USB storage or SD card. On a side note it was also making us have to re-install apps before use every single day. I will update if I have any issues after this fix.

Upvote 0
I got a Samsung Galaxy Note II and it have killed 3 sd-cards.
I was outside jumping on my trampoline, and I got my phone safely in my pocket. After a couple of minutes i walk inside and i see the notification that my SD-card har been unmounted. I try to re-mount it, re-start my phone, and try to read the card from a computer, but none helped. I thought it must be an error with this specific card, so i tried another card, and it worked for two weeks, and the new card died randomly. I cant remember but I think it was during the night when it was charging. Re-mount, re-start and checking from the computer proves it to be dead. And then I tried a third card. and it took only like two days before it had killed this card aswell...

I don't have any solutions, just extra information some of you could use to something productive! :)

Upvote 0
I don't understand the issues some people have with the SD card dying in their Galaxy S3. I guess I have been incredibly lucky so far. I have had my S3 since the day they went on sale and have been using the same 64 GB card with absolutely no problem. I have recently switched to a 128 GB card also running without problem for about a month so far. I have other small issues with the phone, just not that issue. I may keep my S3 until the Galaxy S6 depending on how the Note 4 looks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones