• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S3 or Droid Razr HD?

mrbutters

Jun 15, 2012
The decision of the year, hmmm....I suspect anyone who doesn't have Verizon is going to vote for the S3 but us Verizon users have a tough choice. I love using my phone all day and night and still having 40-50% battery when its time for bed. Thats with full LTE blazing. If the Razr HD is going to have the same processor and display but ditch TW, that lame home button, have a better camera, better build quality and that awesome 3300MAH battery, I think thats the clear winner. Problem will be waiting till Sept to get it though.

Hi Mr. Butters!

Let me move this post to our device comparisons subsection. It's fairly new but that's where these battles take place.

Droid Razr HD are you ready?
Samsung Galaxy S3 are you ready?

Let's get it on!!!

My pick would be the Razr HD because I love motorola. If the US version of the S3 had a quad core processor, then I would probably be more intrigued and lean towards the S3.

Reactions: Rush
Upvote 0
We haven't seen either live, but my inclination would be the Razr HD. OfTheDamned has made me a believer in the Maxx. While I love my Nexus and all its ROMing glory (lots of Jelly Bean ROMs out already), its radios and battery life are pretty bad.
The two Motos I've owned had fantastic radios (Bionic's voice quality is amazing). Samsung always has great developer support, but if they continue to skimp on voice quality and battery life, I'll have no problem going back to Moto. Now, if they could just unlock their darn bootloaders. :D

Upvote 0
I'm glad this thread is here... I'm a current Rezound user, and while I love my HD screen and great radios, I'm itching for a newer, faster, lighter toy. :)

I never would have thought I'd want a Samsung, but I'm seriously considering the SGIII. Played with the Sprint version, and was much more impressed than I thought I would be; it was just so responsive and fluid! Also I wasn't nearly as offended by TouchWiz as I thought I would be. And the fact that the accessories will be so universal is really appealing. BUT I won't jump until I hear reviews of signal strength, since Samsung is so notorious for horrible radios.

I may be willing to consider the Razr HD, since Moto makes such rock-solid radios, but only if it truly is "HD" (I am really not a fan of the version of a pentile screen on the RAZR/MAXX; really does not look good to my eyes). Also, the locked bootloader gives me pause -- but I really like how non-invasive the ICS version of MotoBlur is on the current RAZR.

If only we had the third choice of a HTC One X variant (instead of the anemic Incredible4GLTE)...

Edited to add:
My worry about Samsung radios is summed up well by this post in the Sprint debate.

Upvote 0
For more than a week I've been going back and forth several times a day about whether to just go and grab the SG3 or not, and still am on the fence -- I think I'm reading too many forum posts here and at androidcentral with conflicting reports of reception issues, quality issues, etc... And playing with the SG3 in the store, there are a ton of things I love, but there are definitely annoying things about Touchwiz...

Plus the continued rumors of the RAZR HD and now a new HTC device keep popping up, making the decision that much harder.

The thing is, my Rezound is running just great on Newt's Sense4 rom, so I could probably be just fine waiting it out... but I'm worried about the rez's resale value plummeting.

Ok, and I really just want a new toy with a much bigger screen.

Any of your Moto fans become converts to the sg3, or are you still waiting for the RAZR HD?

Upvote 0
I am loving my Maxx since the ics upgrade. But I am thinking of the S3 simply because of the camera. Samsung gives u more control over the camera than Moto. I know its a phone first but in store the signal bars were the same as the Maxx. Also the big screen on the SG3 would be great for reading. The HD will have on screen buttons, I don't think I will like that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones