• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini echo feedback

I recently purchased a Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini. My callers are telling me they heard an echo of their voice. Basically, it is fine on my end, but people I called would hear themselves twice. Does anyone else have this same issue? Is it a common problem? More importantly does anyone have a fix ?
I have removed the protection case, still have the problem.
I removed the phone`s back cover, still have the problem.
I changed sim card, still have the problem.
I used someone elses sim card on a different network. still have the problem.
Called my network support, unable to fix it. They said problem is not on thier end.
Can anyone help me please

Carmine1062

Okay, a bit of personal history: I have worked solely in the communications field all my life and run across some weird stuff.

Just based on my experiences, I have found that the smaller, and tinier we make these little gadgets, the poorer they perform.

What I am alluding to is that the "speaker audio" in your phone is being heard by the microphone element, which then reintroduces the other guy's voice into your audio output stream. He/She then hears their own voice coming back to them delayed by the time it takes to make the full circle.

In the telephone industry, it is called "Turn Around" and is indeed heard as an echo.
Very disconcerting, and at times, no cure can be found without replacing the device.
Or finding a way to prevent the receive audio from mixing into the transmit audio.

I do that by using a Bluetooth headset piece and it works a treat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
First I want to thank you for your reply. greatly appriciated.

I completely understand what you are saying.
However, is this the case with every galaxy S5 mini phones ?, out of probably millions out there?, and evryone of them has this problem?
What about other small phones ? I have a Galaxy S3 min, which is smaller than the S5 mini, and I do not have this problem. I`ve been using my S3 mini for 5-6 years now.
I was looking for the microphone sensitivity, to address the problem you mentioned, within the menus in the S5 mini, but could not find it.

Upvote 0
I forgot to mention that I turn off "Noise Cancellation", it makes things worse, rather than better.

I have two S5 phones and a Note 4 in current use.
Sometimes, we hear "turn around" and we just hang up and redial to get a different circuit, and that usually takes care of the problem.

as for why your particular phone is doing this?
I can't diagnose without having it in my own hands, and trying different things to see what helps and does not.

Have you tried a good Bluetooth headset?
I use a BlueParrott B250-XT

and just last week, I ordered a B350-XT
which is a much better headset than the 250, more features that will really help me personally. I almost never talk on my phone w/o the BT headset.

You just can't believe the difference in audio quality when you use a high quality BT headset instead of the internal puny microphones and speakers.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones