1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Galaxy S5 with Verizon keeps going from 4G LTE to 3G

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by msmigiel, Dec 25, 2014.

1. msmigiel

msmigiel Newbie
    None

Dec 25, 2014
    Male
    Software Engineer
    MA, USA
    Hello all,

My wife and I recently got Samsung Galaxy S5 phones (with Verizon). We live in the Boston area though signal strength at our house seems low (the meter in the top right is always 1 or 2 bars) but we're always on Wifi at home so it's not a big deal.

I noticed that on her phone, it seems to go from 4G LTE to 3G a lot more often than mine does (according to the upper right). Switching on and off Airplane mode puts it back on 4G but after a random time it eventually switches back to 3G.

Could the signal strength somehow be affecting this? I first thought that but I'm not sure why it affects her phone more than my phone. How much slower is 3G vs 4G LTE? Any other thoughts on what might be causing this?

Advertisement

2. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    Retired and loving it.
    Oklahoma grasslands
    Not to worry, there is just no way two phones will get exactly the same precise operation even though they are near each other. There are two S5 phones here also.

Also, the cell tower software will throttle back a device that is not using 4g to a lower grade if all that is needed is to maintain "access" to the tower.

I suggest that if your wife's phone is downloading something, that it will switch to 4g during the download and then throttle back when it is more or less idle.

I note the same activity that you are seeing all the time.
    My phone sometimes reports 1x and if you are a hyper active type person who worries about the smallest details, that will send you into fits.
    Not to worry though, it switches back to a better signal when I need a download.

MacroDroid senses Scrn off=Wifi & Data OFF,
    senses Scrn on=WiFi & Data ON

Samsung Galaxy S5

The Samsung Galaxy S5 was announced in 2014 and was the company's first flagship of the year. The device featured a 5.1-inch display with a resolution of 1920 x 1080, 2GB of RAM, 16GB of storage, and a 16MP primary rear camera.