1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy S6 upgrade memory problem

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Player55, Dec 16, 2018.

1. Player55

Player55 Lurker

Hi there. I am a newby from Greece, my name is joseph. Today I upgraded my phone's Android from 6.01 to 7.01 Nougat, using Odin3. Everything went quite well apart from the fact that my phone's memory got reduced from 64 Gb to 16 Gb. Is there anything I can do to fix this problem? Thank you in advance.

2. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Factory reset, maybe?

Player55 likes this.
  3. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Well an update cannot change the amount of storage installed, so clearly there's something odd here.

So can you give us more information? You say you used Odin to do the update, but what firmware exactly did you install (i.e. the exact file, not "7.0.1")? And what's the full model number of your phone (not just "S6", the full number has several other characters)? I'm not a Samsung expert, but I know that they have many sub-versions of every phone, so the first thing I'd check is that the firmware and phone variant match.

Player55 likes this.
  4. svim

svim Extreme Android User

So there are several variations of the S6 so some had 32GB, some 64GB, and some 128GB of internal storage. Assuming that your reference to having 64GB of free space before the upgrade that went down to 16GB after the upgrade, it sounds like when you were doing the flashing process that at some point while the necessary upgrade files (the newer ROM, etc.) were copied onto your phone's internal storage. Typically they don't need to be as they should be on the PC you were using to do the actual flashing using the Odin utility.
    Your phone's internal storage is divided up into several partitions. Most of those partitions are dedicated solely to the Android operating system, with one being the user's general data partition. You don't typically interact with any of those system partitions and you only have full access, unrestricted access to that data partition. When you flashed a new ROM onto your S6, you were essentially installing Nougat into those system partitions, the issue being with older Samsung phones it does add anything on your data partition. So whatever is now taking up that additional 48GB of your internal storage is probably something you copied (inadvertently or intentionally) there as the actual flashing process pertains only to the system partitions.

If you go into the System >> Storage menu and open the internal storage option does that indicate anything that might help determine what that 48GB of new data might be?
    Another thing you might want to use is this 'DiskUsage' app:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.diskusage&hl=en_US
    It will provide you with a very user-friendly, graphical way of seeing what files are in your phone.
    Also note that Samsung includes a basic file manager app so you don't necessarily need to install one. Look in your apps menu for the 'My Files' app and you can use that to clean out whatever files you might find that you don't need.

Player55 likes this.
  5. Player55

Player55 Lurker

I did it this morning but nothing has changed. I guess I should resort to the good, old Android 6, sooner or later, then.

6. lvt

lvt Android Expert

Or keep trying with another ROMs.

Player55 likes this.
  7. Player55

Player55 Lurker

Guys, thank you very much for your helping hand, I appreciate that. My S6 is an SM-G920A and I have loaded it with AP_G920AUCS7ERC1_CL12991177_QB17238575_REV02_user_low_ship_meta.tar
    using that Odin console. I am going to follow your advice and see what will happen.

8. Player55

Player55 Lurker

I downloaded and ran that DiskUsage app and it also sayw that the total disk space is 16 GB.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S6 release date was April 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.1" inch screen, 16MP camera, 3GB RAM, Exynos 7420 Octa processor, and 2550mAh battery.

April 2015
Release Date
Reviews