1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Galaxy S7 normal temperature

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by PleasePanic, May 10, 2016.

1. PleasePanic

PleasePanic Lurker
    None

Hi everyone,

I won an S7 at work (yay) but I noticed it runs a little hot when I'm at home : between 28 degrees to 38 degrees. Is it normal to get this warm ? (data is always on, no wifi)

I mentionned at home because when I'm at work it doesn't run that hot, whether on wifi or 3g, it still gets warm though.

I have really bad signal at home and I noticed all the phones we have run hot (LG G3, Moto G3 and my S7)

What's the normal temperature for a S7 ??

Thanks already for your answers!

Advertisement

2. Brian706

Brian706 I like turtles!

Jul 25, 2012
    Drafter
    Congrats on winning a new phone! I couldn't tell you what the "normal" temp is, I'm sure it varies based on usage... I'd wager a guess though that it's directly related to your poor signal. With a weak signal, the device is most likely constantly searching for and/or dropping and connecting to services.

The fact that all of your devices share the same issue while at home further reinforces that theory. I'm not sure there's much you can do about it short of increasing signal strength or connecting to wifi.

KOLIO likes this.
  3. Xavier Black

Xavier Black Android Enthusiast

Sep 21, 2015
    Male
    The normal temperature on a phone is about 98°F just like in the human body..but you can regulate your phone's one having it connected to wifi and ableing the wifi calling while at home..so your phone doesn't struggle for air..

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Um, no. There is no 'normal temp' for phones. There is only ideal running temp for the phone's chipset. Each SoC has different running temperatures from each other based on model and architecture. For example, the SnapDragon 810 on the HTC M9 normally runs hotter than the SnapDragon 820 on the new HTC 10. Then you also have to consider the cooling methods each model has, as well as their construction material. The S7, G5 and HTC 10 all have the same SoC, but construction materials differ, as well as software optimization, hence one may run hotter than other models. The Samsung S7 is also not only made of glass, but has a liquid vapor cooling system, which makes it likely to have lower internal temp than thr HTC 10 and G5 despite having the same CPU.

I honestly do not know where you get that normal temp of yours. Everything I said also applies to all portable computing devices such as laptops and tablets.

5. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    You could argue that you'd expect the temperatures to be the other way round: the S7's glass construction is a heat trap, which is why they added a cooling system, while the HTC's SoC is thermally connected to the casing by copper strips, spreading the heat more evenly but also perhaps making it more obvious to the person holding the phone when it warms up (since aluminium is a much better thermal conductor than glass). These are different approaches, both manufacturers will tell you theirs is better, and I generally figure it's wise to treat all claims by manufacturers as "marketing".

But for sure the temperature will depend on the phone design, the loading of the SoC and radio, and on the ambient temperature (the phone cannot run colder than the ambient temperature, which matters if you are in a hot location). Heck, if you keep it in a case it will run hotter when in use, since there's an extra layer of insulation. If you always have data on then your phone will be hotter than it would be with that off, and if you are in a weak signal area with data on it will certainly be hotter than if you were in a strong signal area. But the temperature range you are describing is not worrying at all. :)

(To give an example, my phone was below 20 degrees last night, once it had finished charging. That rose to 35 degrees when I was browsing, updating, etc over breakfast, then fell to 30 when in my pocket next to my leg. Left on the desk next to me it's now fallen to 23 degrees. All of these are perfectly normal temperatures).

6. Phalon4

Phalon4 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 18, 2016
    Hi, Most apps that regulates cellphone's CPU usage is always set to alert the user when the phone gets above 114° Fahrenheit. So I would be pretty sure the threshold would be somewhere below that temperature. But questions as critical as this should be asked directly from the manufacturer and not at a place where people are given opinions or speculations.

#6 Phalon4, May 12, 2016
    Last edited: May 12, 2016