• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy S8 Should Buy?

None of us has seen one yet for real, just photos and specs. So once it's released, people & have had a chance to test it in real life we'll be able to give you a better idea.

Assuming all's well it will then be a case of whether you like it - it's you who would be using it, so whether other people like or dislike it is irrelevant. I would always recommend playing with the device yourself before buying rather than relying in second hand impressions.

Upvote 0
It depends on what YOU want in a phone. If you are used to iPhones and you are happy with a phone that just WORKS without a lot of tinkering, wait for the iPhone 8 this fall. If you prefer a phone that you can customize and make it uniquely yours, then the Galaxy S8 (or any recent Android phone) would be a great device.

However: the Galaxy S8 is rumored to be quite expensive - upwards of $800-$900 USD. The Galaxy S8 Plus may top $1000. For hardcore enthusiasts, that might be worth it, because it is going to be a phenomenal device. Power users like me, however, are going to hold out until August for the Galaxy Note 8... which will be absolutely EPIC.

:)

Upvote 0
As samsung have recently lanched S8 and S8+, both phone are power packed with best specification, making it a best smartphone of 2017. I believe should really go for that phone. Its would be your choice between both variants depending on the screen size you prefer. You can check my blog here on the new features of S8.

Upvote 0
Best Buy has demo's in stock. The s8 + is narrow and tall. Feels skinny. The display was nice but not sold on edge display. Had Note 7 until just a 60 days ago. Liked the edge at first but then didn't. Screen is bright. Phone was in demo mode so limited use. Now using Mate 9 which seems huge next to the s8+. Probably wont buy now that I have a dual sim card phone. Anyway just pointing people to where you can put your hands on it.

Upvote 0
^^^We did exactly this!

I took my daughter to BBY last night to check out both phones and see how we felt about them and what size she felt comfortable with. I found it to be amazing how the S8 was narrower in width (portrait orientation) than her S5. The S8+ was basically the same width. We found that both were stunning even just being in Demo mode. I know I read a comment somewhere that the S8 felt like a plastic toy and I agree. It feels too light. The S8+ has a nice weight to it while not heavy for a phone it's size.

After a half hour doing our touchy feelies (it was great because we were in the Samsung kiosk area by ourselves the whole time - 8:00pm to closing), my daughter agreed the S8+ has alot more impact with the bigger display projection so we did our pre-order (Midnight Black) and were the last customers to leave the store. BBY gives an additional $100.00 promo discount for the 24 month installment plan - cha ching! The monthly decreases to $29.83 instead of $35.00 for 24 months.

It was sort of interesting to know that the girl who did our pre-order said that most everyone is pre-ordering the S8+ (including females). My daughter originally kept saying it would be too big to maneuver across the display but if you learn to hold it more under the center it takes little adjustment to shift it over. The option would just to hold with two hands like one would a tablet. We also pre-ordered the Samsung S-view flip cover case which will completely protect it from drops since that edge is just waiting for side contact with a sharp object. This cover is cool because it has no viewing window. It's translucent so you can see your display through it while swiping to accept a call or view the entire screen without opening the cover. It's also made to fold over into a triangle shaped kickstand for watching a movie or video.

http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/mo...8875160598-cam=US_IMECOM_PLA_Buy_MobilePhones

I just hope this phone has good reception and call quality! 15 days and counting........one-one thousand, two-one thousand.....

BTW, there's zero threads in the S8 Plus subforum - what's up with that? I'll have to hang here I guess. They are actually the same phone and really should stay together as one. How about deleting the Plus forum and doubling up this one - Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+

Last edited:
Upvote 0
^^^We did exactly this!

I took my daughter to BBY last night to check out both phones and see how we felt about them and what size she felt comfortable with. I found it to be amazing how the S8 was narrower in width (portrait orientation) than her S5.
Not that amazing: a 5.8" diagonal screen with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio is a fraction of a mm narrower than a 5.2" 16:9, so less than 1mm wider than the S5's 5.1" screen. And on the S8 they fold the edges of the display down, which makes the device narrower, whereas the S5 screen is flat.

You can't simply compare diagonal lengths when the screens have different aspect ratios, and even less so when comparing flat to curved screens. Of course the marketing people want you to do exactly that ;).

Reactions: toptobottom
Upvote 0
Not that amazing: a 5.8" diagonal screen with an 18.5:9 aspect ratio is a fraction of a mm narrower than a 5.2" 16:9, so less than 1mm wider than the S5's 5.1" screen. And on the S8 they fold the edges of the display down, which makes the device narrower, whereas the S5 screen is flat.

You can't simply compare diagonal lengths when the screens have different aspect ratios, and even less so when comparing flat to curved screens. Of course the marketing people want you to do exactly that ;).
Great explanation for sure!

My daughters hands aren't that big and she had the misconception that both S8/S8+ would be huge compared to an old model. Good point about the flat sides because that in and of itself makes a huge difference in hand.

Upvote 0
Excellent our first beta tester. Make sure you get a nice microfibre towel to clean the camera lens which you will smudge every time you unlock the phone with the fingerprint reader :D
Alpha, Beta, Gamma - whatever! :D I'm more confident this phone issue is going to be a winner as far as functionality goes. Even if it turned up with something serious, I think Samsung learned from the N7 how it would need to handle a major issue the next go around.

I doubt she'll use the FR button because the S8+ is pretty tall in her hand and it would be more of a pain in the sphincter to slide upward and fumble to it. She'll probably use iris scan or just continue with her dot unlock pattern, so camera lens fingerprints won't be a problem.

Upvote 0
Well plastic backs is one of the things Samsung used to get criticised for (to be fair, they were criticised for particularly thin and flimsy plastic backs, which on some phones was a deserved criticism).

While plastic is a very practical material (robust and can give a good grip), these days it's associated with low-end devices, and image wins over functionality in our societies. Glass is slippery and, whatever the marketing people claim each year, easier to break than any of the alternatives, but all of the major brands who've announced 2017 flagships seem to be using it.

Upvote 0
You have your choice of only a few materials. Metal, plastic or glass. Since Samsung included wireless charging, then metal is out. Of the two remaining, glass is considered more of a premium material than plastic. I've had phones made out of all three and, if done well any of them have a nice feel, are durable and attractive. Material choice, however, won't make a bad design any better.

Upvote 0
just dropped by the store to check out the S8 in my hands.

it is SMALLER than I imagined. I have a NOTE 3.
and the S8 is too small. the S8 + is also kind of small.

because of my age.. my eyes need a big screen... even the Note 3's screen feels too small now.

the curved S8 and S* + feels good in hand...
but that taller dimension and combined curved sides reduces the actual screen.

of course there are good and bad points to it's size.
this is just an issue i see with it.
maybe the new Galaxy Note will be what i am want in size.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones