• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7" Focus

Mike01Hu

Lurker
May 27, 2010
My Tab2 7" will not read QR/Bar codes using the main camera, which makes it useless. Focus is poor, even on normal images when zoomed in and not pixelated, and are not anywhere near what should be available with 3.2MPixel cameras. The Tab 2 10.1 performs well when set to 3.2MPixels, so I would expect the same results from the 7". The resolution of the image is poorer than one taken with the front facing camera!!! This has been back to Samsung UK twice and they changed the camera module but with no better results. This is a design fault that Samsung will not acknowledge as other similar cameras perform well. I am pushing for a refund based on the device not being fit for purpose under UK consumer rights.

What have others experienced with this device?

I've read that the problem is that the back camera does not auto focus. So until they change that, bar code scanning won't work. The front camera is vga, mainly for google chat so don't expect much. The reviews pretty much point this out.
I've been meaning to d/l the bar code scanning app onto my tablet to verify this but haven't gotten around to it.

Upvote 0
I've read that the problem is that the back camera does not auto focus. So until they change that, bar code scanning won't work. The front camera is vga, mainly for google chat so don't expect much. The reviews pretty much point this out.
I've been meaning to d/l the bar code scanning app onto my tablet to verify this but haven't gotten around to it.

I concur. I've tried a lot of the code scanning apps and none will work with this device.:(

Upvote 0
my wife got me the sgt2 7.0 and i love it! i found the camera was the weakest link as well.

i bought my wife the sgt3 8.0, and the camera on that one is awesome.

i tried to copy the SamsungCamera2-Tab.apk to my sgt2 but it wouldn't install (as it wanted to upgrade the sgt2's apk.

so i wondered, would this work? the focus is not software focus, but hardware doing the autofocus/tap-2-focus, right?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones