• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 wifi (NO phone) T230N Android 4.4.2

tuxic

Lurker
Jul 11, 2015
Hi,

Hello all, this is my first posting here! :)

I am at the VERY beginning of all rooting/android/tablet things and before I dig into the very deep of this
fascinating stuff I want to ask only a very few questions to explore, whether it is worth the effort with this
device or better to get another one. I have some experence in software development and embedded devices
though (Linux based/ Beaglebone Black/Arietta G25 both ARM platform).

The device is a Galaxy TAB 4 7.0 SM-T230N WI-FI 8GB and its modell number is: SM-T230NYKADBT

I have searched the Web for answers and unfortunately found contradictionay answers...so: better ask
the professionals of the inner circle here...;)

Does it have Knox?
Is it rootable -- prefreable without knocking on the door of an e-fuse?
IF Knox will switch from 0x0 to 0x1 are there any hardware features which will no longer work
and cannot be reactivated by a different software/kernel?
WHAT exactly will I lost, if Knox is triggered -- beside the warranty itsself?

And if it is still a good way to go: What is the recommended tool/way to root this device?

Thank you VERY much for any help in advance!
Best regards and have a nice weekend!
tuxic

The best place to ask is in your tablet's own forum but I can tell you that if your tab (i assume it is) is running Android 4.3 or above then Knox and the e-fuse are activated.
Rooting itself won't trip the e-fuse but unlocking the bootloader and flashing unsigned (unofficial) firmware like custom recovery or a custom rom will and will void the warranty but won't physically affect anything else on the tablet.
Sorry that's all I know.
As i said, go to the Tab 4 forum and get more info there :thumbsupdroid:
Good luck

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones