• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Galaxy Tab headed to Verizon!

irishpride

Android Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2010
Emerald City
If they still have the TV, HDMI out feature like their current phones....I'm seriously considering the Samsung Tablet over the Moto, or any other Tablet coming to Verizon.

Choosing a Tablet will be alot harder than choosing a phone for me...lol

If yall didnt see this:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/02/samsung-galaxy-tab-preview/

I know it might be different when it comes to Verizon, but I'm liking what I see so far. I just noticed .....I dont think its dual core.

Upvote 0
its coming to all 4 carriers... but sprint is getting a 3g/4g version... but heck I guess you gotta make a thread for the Verizon peeps make them feel better I guess

What's that supposed to mean? The only early reports were of the Galaxy Tab coming to VZW...but heck I guess if you would have read the first post you would have known that.

Upvote 0
If they still have the TV, HDMI out feature like their current phones....I'm seriously considering the Samsung Tablet over the Moto, or any other Tablet coming to Verizon.
Are you assuming that the Moto tablet won't have HDMI out? I think it will considering the Moto Droid X has HDMI out.

I personally think the Samsung Tablet is too small, at least for what I would use it for. Reviewing documents on a 10 inch screen makes far more sense than a 7 inch screen. An 8.5"x11" document page should be completely legible without zoom on a 10.1" screen, but not so much on a 7".

It's all in what you'll use it for though. Still wish HTC was dropping a tablet in the next 6 months though.

Upvote 0
Are you assuming that the Moto tablet won't have HDMI out? I think it will considering the Moto Droid X has HDMI out.

I personally think the Samsung Tablet is too small, at least for what I would use it for. Reviewing documents on a 10 inch screen makes far more sense than a 7 inch screen. An 8.5"x11" document page should be completely legible without zoom on a 10.1" screen, but not so much on a 7".

It's all in what you'll use it for though. Still wish HTC was dropping a tablet in the next 6 months though.

I mentioned the TV, HDMI Out cuz the TV Out on the Samsung phones is way better than the HDMI Out on the X. The HDMI Out on the X is crippled bad. If a Motorola Tablet can have a better TV, HDMI Out than the X's that will be a big plus.

Upvote 0
Anybody want to venture a guess at the monthly contract rate? If it want's to compete with the iPad it needs to be around their $25 a month for 2GB. I'd like to see them offer a plan with 5G for around $40 a month.
I would say that the data plans on At&t will be the same as all smartphones.

Now I am wishing T-Mobile was getting it or at least the device is completely compatible. Wal-Mart is starting a new T-Mobile based Family Plan on Monday for $45 which includes unlimited talking and texting & 100MB of data, which might work if Wifi is not counted.

Upvote 0
I mentioned the TV, HDMI Out cuz the TV Out on the Samsung phones is way better than the HDMI Out on the X. The HDMI Out on the X is crippled bad. If a Motorola Tablet can have a better TV, HDMI Out than the X's that will be a big plus.
Yeah, but I'm pretty sure all functionality was "uncrippled" pretty quickly by Droid X users, so it's no big deal. I would much rather deal with that, than more than 60 seconds of TouchWiz.

Upvote 0
This device will under achieve for the following reasons:

1. Too expensive due to data plans
2. Redundant considering people already paying for phone data plan (the people that would buy this)
3. Total cost is greater than iPad (I despise Apple), due to carrier and data obligations.
4. This device will cannibalize other device sales- it will NOT result in much growth.
5. 4" and 4.3" devices already covering mini-tablet needs AND pocket-able as a phone.

Samsung's decision to go the subsidize route will doom this device to second level status for ever. Would have had a great shot of taking marketshare if not tied to a carrier and marketed / sold and priced on its own.

added:

Channeling my best Burgess Meredith from Rocky: This could have been a contender!

Upvote 0
I would say that the data plans on At&t will be the same as all smartphones.

Now I am wishing T-Mobile was getting it or at least the device is completely compatible. Wal-Mart is starting a new T-Mobile based Family Plan on Monday for $45 which includes unlimited talking and texting & 100MB of data, which might work if Wifi is not counted.

100mb will get you nowhere with a tablet. The very premise of its use could eat 100mb in less than a day ;) Besides, with Android, there is no such thing as low mb usage, since it lives and breaths data consumption.

The more I think about it, the more I think the carrier route will constrain the HECK out of sales.

Upvote 0
my guess is its gonna be sold like the data cards/ netbooks are

Which (per our corp rep) have sold very badly. Most people are not dupe enough to want to spend for two data lines and an accumulated cost of three X the product's actual worth. Kind of like a rent a center business model ;)

Samsung would be far better off adopting the iPad business model and tell carriers- no thanks. Carrier contracts are counter intuitive to devices like this. Samsung = crazy.

BTW, this does NOT have an s amoled. It uses an lcd tech. No such thing as a 7" amoled- yet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones