1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Samsung Galaxy Tab S - How to set a MicroSD as a storage area?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Sayoria, Jan 12, 2016.

1. Sayoria

Sayoria Lurker

I bought a microSD and it seems to be a good 40 dollars wasted.

Could someone here tell me how to hook this thing into this exact device? I looked online, and other devices seem.... different in a way. I need to know how to exactly do it with this device. I want to use the SD as a main point for downloads to send to and to move things to.

Thank you! :)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

What OS? If it's 4.4 you should be able to move things using the built in file manager ("my files" I think they call it). With earlier versions any file manager can do it, with later versions it should be possible but I've no experience of Samsung + Lollipop.

Changing the default download location for files may be possible for some apps via their settings, but I don't know a way of doing it globally for all apps. If you mean the install location for apps, does the device support moving apps (partially) to SD? If not that isn't an option.

3. Sayoria

Sayoria Lurker

All I see is 5.0.2 or something like that. I can't find anything that states directly the OS.

http://i.imgur.com/LPHzTaE.png

All information on that screenshot I have. :/ ... I tried moving things in the files manager, and it will only delete, however I also have this screen which lets me move to SD, but like.... it ghosts everything.

http://i.imgur.com/dbjkoZK.png

I hope there is a way globally. This is frustrating. :/

4. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

Ok, that's Lollipop (Android 5).

The second screenshot is the app manager. If you select a downloaded app (not a pre-installed one) you can use the "move to sd" button there to move part of the app to sd (the fact that you have an "sd" tab there suggests that this button should exist). Note that this does only move part of the app and won't move the app's data. If you are short of space it may be better than nothing though.

If that works you may be able to set the default to install apps that way (if you want). This requires installing "adb" on a computer (see the FAQs section of the forum, near the bottom of the main forum page). Then connect to the phone via USB and use the command "adb shell pm set-Install-Location 2" to set the default to install to sd (set to 0 to revert).

For general downloads I don't know a way, but Samsung's "my files" app ought to be able to move things (I've not used Astro, which I see in your apps, for many years - x-plore or Root Explorer are my preferred file managers, but on my unrooted Samsung tablet running 4.4 only My Files can write to sd. In Lollipop you should be able to enable sd writing generally, but I've read that with some Samsung devices this doesn't work.