• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Gear S3 Compatibility Questions

plexabyte

Lurker
Nov 10, 2016
Hey all, new member here.

I've been thinking about pre-ordering the Gear S3. However, I've been trying to find information about compatibility with non-Samsung devices (I'd like to avoid buying a Galaxy if at all possible). Here's what I understand so far:

- No Samsung Pay without a Samsung phone
- No/Limited calls without a Samsung phone

Now here's where it gets tricky. On Sammy's official S3 page, they have this compatibility chart:

myvRq7z.png

Samsung Pay is supported by "Other Android Phones", and fully - no little caveat number on it. Everywhere else seems to imply that you have to have a Galaxy phone to use Pay. Second question: if I can't use Samsung Pay, will the S3 work at all with just Android Pay? I would assume it would--that would be a major gaff on Samsung's part.

Samsung Pay is supported by "Other Android Phones", and fully - no little caveat number on it.

Complete nonsense. Samsung Pay is, according to its own Play page, compatible only with the following devices:

Eligible Devices
Samsung Pay is currently available on the Samsung S7, S7 edge, S7 active, S6, S6 edge, S6 active, S6 edge+ and Note5

Not only that, it's clearly stated as "incompatible" with my Sony XZ (which is fully compatible with Android Pay) and thus won't even attempt to install.

Upvote 0
Complete nonsense. Samsung Pay is, according to its own Play page, compatible only with the following devices:

Not only that, it's clearly stated as "incompatible" with my Sony XZ (which is fully compatible with Android Pay) and thus won't even attempt to install.

New development though:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061422/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000946

According to this you will in fact be able to use Samsung Pay with normal Android devices with the Gear S3...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones