1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Samsung Gear S3 Compatibility Questions

Discussion in 'Android Wear' started by plexabyte, Nov 10, 2016.

1. plexabyte

plexabyte New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Male
    Hey all, new member here.

I've been thinking about pre-ordering the Gear S3. However, I've been trying to find information about compatibility with non-Samsung devices (I'd like to avoid buying a Galaxy if at all possible). Here's what I understand so far:

- No Samsung Pay without a Samsung phone
    - No/Limited calls without a Samsung phone

Now here's where it gets tricky. On Sammy's official S3 page, they have this compatibility chart:

[​IMG]

Samsung Pay is supported by "Other Android Phones", and fully - no little caveat number on it. Everywhere else seems to imply that you have to have a Galaxy phone to use Pay. Second question: if I can't use Samsung Pay, will the S3 work at all with just Android Pay? I would assume it would--that would be a major gaff on Samsung's part.

Advertisement

2. Slug

Slug Check six!

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    Complete nonsense. Samsung Pay is, according to its own Play page, compatible only with the following devices:

Not only that, it's clearly stated as "incompatible" with my Sony XZ (which is fully compatible with Android Pay) and thus won't even attempt to install.

3. plexabyte

plexabyte New Member

Nov 10, 2016
    Male
    New development though:

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/answer/ANS00061422/?CID=AFL-hq-mul-0813-11000946

According to this you will in fact be able to use Samsung Pay with normal Android devices with the Gear S3...