• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung - GPS Fix/Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can assure everyone that more than one mod is paying VERY close attention here, and that's nothing to be proud of.

Everyone's tempered are frayed enough over this issue.

I think it's a good idea that maybe a little light reading - like the Zero Tolerance Policy (link in my sig) - would be in order.

In keeping with that policy - kindly vent your frustrations on the issue - not on each other.

Thank you in advance for working together on this.

EDIT - I'm starting to hand out warnings - further personal attacks will NOT be tolerated.

Upvote 0
I bought my captivate on the 12th of August. I brought it home and immediately started to play with all of its features, as most geeks would. I noticed right away that the GPS seemed to be struggling to obtain a lock. I moved on and became immersed in the thousands of other great things this phone does. I had just come from a 1st gen iPhone, which was great at the time, but I needed to feel less restricted. GPS and turn by turn was a big selling point for me.

As I came back to the GPS issue I started to become concerned that the GPS would never work. So I turned to the internet and the android community to see if anyone else was experiencing the issue or if I had just received a faulty unit. I admit I was disappointed in what I discovered. It removed a lot of the excitement of having an android device to know that it was a flaw released by Samsung and was plaguing not just my device, but all of the devices on my network and on the tmobile network.

I went into the AT&T store where I had purchased my phone the following Monday and began to express my disappointed. I will admit that I wasn't suprised that a single soul in the establishment had any idea of the flaw that was being reported by a good majority of their captivate customers. I told them I was nervous that the fix would not come out in September and that I would be stuck with the device. They very nicely agreed to extend my return period through September. If Samsung doesn't fix this, in September, like they've stated then I'm not stuck with the phone. It will get returned.

I suggest those in the same situation do the same thing. :)

Reactions: sharkhark
Upvote 0
at&t had no hand in it or control over it. They're not responsible for the manufacturers mistakes. They bought a contract on the phone to sell in the us on the at&t network. They worked out a provision in the contract to have several money generating apps placed in the firmware as all carriers do. That is all.

Verizon, t-mobile, and sprint are all in the same boat at&t is, except they have viable android alternatives.

bingo!

Upvote 0
I bought my captivate on the 12th of August. I brought it home and immediately started to play with all of its features, as most geeks would. I noticed right away that the GPS seemed to be struggling to obtain a lock. I moved on and became immersed in the thousands of other great things this phone does. I had just come from a 1st gen iPhone, which was great at the time, but I needed to feel less restricted. GPS and turn by turn was a big selling point for me.

As I came back to the GPS issue I started to become concerned that the GPS would never work. So I turned to the internet and the android community to see if anyone else was experiencing the issue or if I had just received a faulty unit. I admit I was disappointed in what I discovered. It removed a lot of the excitement of having an android device to know that it was a flaw released by Samsung and was plaguing not just my device, but all of the devices on my network and on the tmobile network.

I went into the AT&T store where I had purchased my phone the following Monday and began to express my disappointed. I will admit that I wasn't suprised that a single soul in the establishment had any idea of the flaw that was being reported by a good majority of their captivate customers. I told them I was nervous that the fix would not come out in September and that I would be stuck with the device. They very nicely agreed to extend my return period through September. If Samsung doesn't fix this, in September, like they've stated then I'm not stuck with the phone. It will get returned.

I suggest those in the same situation do the same thing. :)

Try reloading Android on the phone. It cured the slugish feeling of the GPS, and made it a bit more accurate(3m vs. 10m bubble)

Upvote 0
And as a customer of Microsoft (and countless other software and hardware companies) I paid them and I, too, expected functioning products. Funny thing is, although for the most part their products do behave as advertised they periodically provide software patches or hardware warranty replacements. Some sooner than later, and some later than sooner. It's the nature of the beast. If you seek perfection in the high-tech world you've come to the wrong place.

I don't expect perfection, I expect my device to do what THEY say it will do. Again, that is not unreasonable.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for someone to start banging the gong for a class action law suit.... It never fails - something doesn't work right and that seems to be the mentality.

It is not that complicated.

1. Samsung said they would fix it
2. Until the fix is released the options are wait or return the phone
3. AT&T is accepting returns (as reported by some) and if not the consumer has a valid complaint as the product is defective
4. If the fix doesn't work, then again, the consumer has valid reason to return due to "fitness of purpose"

Unless the GPS chip is defective, this should fixable by software. If it is not fixable, then I expect we will be able to return our phones if we desire.

I will give Samsung the benefit of the doubt, and if it is not fixed, then i will consider returning it. AT&T knows they will have to take these phones back - as this is a basic principle of merchantability.

I can't fathom why someone thinks a lawsuit will help. The lawyers will get rich when the verdict is handed down in 18 months.

Upvote 0
I was waiting for someone to start banging the gong for a class action law suit.... It never fails - something doesn't work right and that seems to be the mentality.

It is not that complicated.

1. Samsung said they would fix it
2. Until the fix is released the options are wait or return the phone
3. AT&T is accepting returns (as reported by some) and if not the consumer has a valid complaint as the product is defective
4. If the fix doesn't work, then again, the consumer has valid reason to return due to "fitness of purpose"

Unless the GPS chip is defective, this should fixable by software. If it is not fixable, then I expect we will be able to return our phones if we desire.

I will give Samsung the benefit of the doubt, and if it is not fixed, then i will consider returning it. AT&T knows they will have to take these phones back - as this is a basic principle of merchantability.

I can't fathom why someone thinks a lawsuit will help. The lawyers will get rich when the verdict is handed down in 18 months.

+1

Upvote 0
but they do have brakes after they get fixed

And I'm confident that we will have reliable GPS after it gets fixed.

Note: This is as far as I'll go with this topic as there's a risk of this escalating again. Clearly, there are two camps regarding the GPS issue, and one won't change the minds of the other. There are more important issues to deal with - like helping members with their questions. I hope we can at least agree on this.

Upvote 0
A couple of things here...first of all it's just the first week of September, and as I understand FroYo was going to be released from Smasung to AT&T in September, that doesn't mean we will get it in September.

Second on the GPS fix, it's beginning to make more sense in my mind to just fix this in FroYo, why have people do an upgrade and then do another one a couple of weeks later. For people who are novices and just want their phone fixed, that's a lot to ask.

Third, I echo that your options are take your phone back or accept the phone as is and hope there is a fix. My 30 days is up this week. I called AT&T Premier to discuss my options, they were very willing to work with me. They said they might be able to extend my 30 days or they offered me a $150 credit to make up for the issue I had. I took the credit. I originally paid $199 for my Captivate, now my out of pocket is down to $50...for a $50 phone, quite frankly the Captivate is AMAZING, even if it couldn't do half of the things it does...for $50, it's cheaper than an Aria or many other less capable phones. For $50 I am willing to be patient. Samsung will fix the issues. They have too much to lose to not do so. THey are going all in on Android and the Galazy S is their centerpiece, they can't afford for it to be a flop.

I hear a lot of complaining on this board...I don't post much, but apparently I am in the minority that thinks this phone is awesome and yes has some minor, fixable flaws.

Upvote 0
I believe this thread has pretty much run its course. Here's the summary:

• This is a BIG issue for a number of Galaxy-class (Captivate) users.
  • Samsung's announced a fix is forthcoming -
  • Opinions range from sue the bastridges to highly confident optimism.

All that remains is the shouting - and we've had enough of that.

~~~~~~

For useful information on how to deal with your Captivate GPS issues, please refer to -

http://androidforums.com/captivate-support-troubleshooting/163765-demystifying-gps-issues-samsung-galaxy-s.html

It's already a two-page thread and it's chock full of solid GPS info.

Not one flame, not one backbiting remark will be necessary in the thread I'm recommending.

I'll leave this thread open for any further constructive statements to enter - maybe for just a while longer today.

In other words - it's your forum, so I'm leaving an opportunity for a last word from those of you with the problem.

If anyone disagrees with my impending decision to lock this thread, you're free to take this up with me via PM.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but I find it a bit incredible (and somewhat amusing) that the whole GPS saga has taken up so much print. It's not a GPS device that happens to make phone calls, but a phone that happens to include GPS capabilities. If anyone has a woody about GPS do one of two things: Get a friggin TomTom or be patient for the upcoming fix. In the grand scheme of things, what's a few weeks or even a month or two?

Heres the deal man. I walk into an AT&T outlet, ready to upgrade my current phone, and I see this big screened, fully featured android phone. Fully featured includes GPS functionality and Google Maps Navigation.

It doesn't matter if the phone is a GPS that makes calls or a phone with a GPS on it. I'm dropping $200 on this device, and it isn't working as advertised. If I wanted a phone without GPS, amongst other things, I would have picked up a GO phone. But I bought THIS phone with the intention of having a working... well, everything.

Samsung is pretty weak. Just look at the whole ordeal with the Behold II not getting its promised firmware upgrades.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones