• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung GS2 doesn't detect Wifi.

My mom's Samsung GS2 has recently, over the past 2 months or so, been having trouble with our home Wifi network. In the past, the device would detect and connect to the network instantly. However, now it doesn't even detect the network after becoming disconnected. The phone can be reconnected to the wifi if I restart the router, but that's not really an ideal long-term solution.

What we want is for the phone to behave the way it used to, and the same way that all of our other wifi-enabled devices do, and that is to actually find networks when scanning (automatically or manually), and to be able to connect to them. I have personally, manually entered the wifi data into her phone when it wouldn't detect any networks, and it wouldn't connect. Restarting the router is the only thing that works, and only as long as the phone is within range. Once it disconnects from the network, the same steps must be taken all over again.

This has become a frustrating ordeal for each of us, and we would really appreciate insight and a possible solution to this issue.

To re-iterate:
-Only the Samsung GS2 has this issue in our home
-The only step that effectively reconnects the device to the network is restarting the router
-This happens each time the device is disconnected from the network
-Scanning for networks usually picks up absolutely nothing, and in the off chance it does find something, attempting a connection does nothing. Like it doesn't even try.
-The connection seems to be fairly reliable once connected after a router restart

Android version: 4.0.4
Device Model: SPH-D710, Samsung Galaxy S2 (Sprint)

Thank you.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones