• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung has some friggin Nerve!!!

Well theres two ways to look at that article. One be pissed at samsung for focusing on the future while neglecting us in the past/present and not delivering 2.2 to use yet.
Or realize that the so called SGS2 looks like a monster that will surely trump anything that was shown at CES. I'll take Orion over tegra2 and super amoled over lcd everyday. Not to mention its 2.3 over 2.2 but I suppose that could change on moto and htc's end.
In the end Im stuck in between both camps. No doubt if PK and the devs can deliver 2.2 and 2.3 this month like they now seem like they might I'd gladly be looking forward to the next Samsung wonder phone and I wont need to make concession to Moto or even HTC

Upvote 0
As much as im looking forward to a galaxy s2 (provided its on 2.3 to start with)....it ll be a ways off from hitting vzw......the still no name 4g sammy might not launch til march...,and while the s2 will be aanounced in february it probably will be international.gsm versions for awhile before even hitting tmo or art in late spring (id imagine)

Best guess? June/july/august on vzw...,and then guess what ill be getting. :)

Upvote 0
I'm all for them releasing new phones (they'd be stupid if they didn't). But what I want to see is continued support for previous generation phones. One thing that Apple absolutely does right is that they continue to support the models that they no longer sell.

I'm on my first Android right now, a HTC Droid Incredible. I plan to keep it until I'm eligible for my NE2 if possible. That would give me nearly 3 years from the launch of the original Motorola Droid (when Android really got popular). I'll then be able to look back and see which companies supported their phones the best over the past 2-3 years.

Upvote 0
Galaxy S is an entire line of phones, all intentionally made incredibly similar to each other. Right now the Galaxy S line is quite possibly the best planned and executed line of phones to allow for relatively easy and fast updates because there is so little variation to account for when porting OS software between them... yet they don't get the 2.2 update.

Again, Samsung arguably has the largest and most well developed line of phones to make updating the most efficient and effective way possible.

However, they don't update their phones. What appeared to be a turnaround for Samsung, what appeared to be a promise to their customers that they were going to stay on top of updates, was BS. More and more it seems that the Galaxy S line was made for the purpose of lowering the costs of production of the handsets, NOT for the purpose of maintaining the handsets that were already sold.

IMO, 'Samsung' must be a Korean translation for caveat emptor... or at least, that's what it is becoming.

/rant

Reactions: contradictions
Upvote 0
Samsung makes some very good hardware, but their software stinks. They hack Android up so bad that it is now virtually impossible to build a stock Android platform for their phones. People who are still buying CDMA based Galaxy S phones are simply fooling themselves in thinking that they'll see Froyo anytime soon. Their user interface design is weird (having to slide a puzzle piece to answer an incoming call, but only if the screen was off before the call came in).

To make things worse, they sell millions of phones with obvious bugs (GPS locking issues on Fascinates) then take six months to release a patch to fix it.

I'm glad I got rid of my Fascinate when I had the chance.

-Mike

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones