1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Samsung hires Cyanogen

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Gmash, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There

Advertisement

2. wayne137

wayne137 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 7, 2011
    Highe School
    Florida
    lol money came so he took it... i wonder wats going to happen to CM tho

3. PlayfulGod

PlayfulGod Android Expert
    None

Jan 28, 2011
    Male
    Web Design and Hosting/PC Repair
    NW Georgia
    You have to remember there is a whole team working on CyanogenMod, not just Steven. I dont expect it to affect the CM project too much. After all we all have day jobs and still do what we do in our own time ;)

4. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Android Expert
    None

Feb 9, 2011
    Making you wonder?
    Lone Star State
    go figures, lol WTG Steve

5. mdside71

mdside71 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    This could be a very good thing, its about time that these phone manufactures started looking outside their normal box at improvements.

6. Gmash

Gmash Android Expert
    None

Feb 3, 2011
    Male
    neither Here nor There
    That's true. I just wonder how cool Samsung is going to be about things. These companies are notoriously protective of their intellectual property. For example, if he learns something at Samsung that can improve CM, will they let him use it? Will they see CM as a threat to Touchwiz? On the other hand, an official Cyanogenmod phone would be awesome. I could also see Samsung phones that dual-boot with Touchwiz and Cyanogenmod. This will be interesting to see how it turns out at least.

7. ShinySide

ShinySide Android Expert
    None

Jul 30, 2011
    Palm Bay, Florida
    "The State of CyanogenMod
    by CyanogenMod on Saturday, August 20, 2011 at 8:31pm
    I’ve been reading rumors that CyanogenMod’s core philosophy is changing, that we’ve been sold, or that we’ve given up and I want to go on record saying none of this is true at all. As you may know, there are only a handful of people that can approve changes for CM but a lot of developers for it. You may have noticed that we are operating at a slightly slower pace than normal, but that’s simply because we’ve been busy and real life responsibilities come before this project. No one is getting paid to work on the product.

You have most likely become aware that Cyanogen has been hired by Samsung, as that news is traveling through the Android community like wildfire. He is not leaving the project. Samsung is aware of his involvement in CM and there are no qualms from that end. He hasn’t been active recently because he is in the process of relocating to a new city for his new job, that’s all. ChrisSoyars has been hired by Grooveshark and is currently working on projects with them. Koush is working on his DeskSMS application as well as ClockworkMod recovery. And finally, my semester is starting as are my medical school interviews.

As they have before, our insane schedules will calm eventually and we can devote more time to the project. But just because we aren’t around to approve changes doesn’t mean development has stopped or even slowed for CM. There are 40+ talented developers programming behind the scenes night and day to give you the Android distribution that you have come to know and love. On top of all of the above, we are currently in a soft feature-freeze for another 7.1 RC. (You can call it a feature slushie if you like) Because of this, we are reluctant to approve new features that may prove problematic for certain devices for the sake of the stability of the entire tree.

All I ask is that you bear with us during this hectic time."