• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung I 7500 from India :|

Prongs

May 26, 2010
Madras
Hey all. Am a total android noob. I mean I have like a 1000 applications and have modded my mobile a lot but I still wouldn't know squat about how to go deep into tweaking the root.

For one thing because I have tried a 100 times to install NPS on my system*Windows 7 32bit* and while it recognizes when I mount my droid, it never comes in the update column. It keeps saying connect device and I have given up on NPS :|

And secondly, I heard that I made a mistake in getting this when now Samsung are releasing upgraded phones with 2.1 OS :( I spent about 300 dollars (without any service, cos thats how we roll in here) and I find out that its pretty useless when Samsung have moved on to greener pastures.

I wish I can upgrade it to a 1.6 or 2.0 or something with all the features and am sure plenty of em are working on roms and other things. Only most of you guys are americans or europeans and almost all of your NPS works and mine doesn't. I have tried doing everything from compatibility to manually changing the location to see if it works.

My firmware version is 1.5(very old ;()
and my baseband version is i7500DDII3

Looking forward to see if I can educate myself about the internal affairs of droids.

Hi, welcome to the forums!

There is a subforum for this phone, and there a lot of members which will be willing to help you. It has a lot of activity, a few new threads daily.

I own this phone, and I am using Galaxo 1.6.3.2, which is a custom ROM based on 1.6 that has overclocking built in, it works great. There is a also a custom 2.1 ROM called GAOSP in development, a BETA was released a while ago but it doesn't support some things like the camera, so it's not really good for daily use.

As for NPS, I got it to work just fine on Windows 7, but it's a pretty useless piece of software (for the I7500). Lots of people install it just for the drivers, and quit using it after that.

If you are interested by Galaxo 1.6.3.2, check out the Samsung Galaxy forum, and then the All things root subforum. There you'll find information and a nice step by step guide (you might recognize the guy who wrote it :D).

Best of lucks with your device.

Upvote 0
Yeah thanks. I did spend about 2 hours and went through most of the stuff. So there is this thing called Odin and before I went about it, I had to back up with things. So i started with the text back ups and app back ups and manually backed up the media content. Then, I downloaded the II5 version and was about to reset factory settings, which I will do in a bit.

Then I'll have to go ahead with the 1.6 version. I think there are quite a few versions in 1.6. Ocourse all are unofficial and I have just like all you wisemen have given up on Samsung to do anything about it anymore. So I will probably pick the one which is the safest, which is probably giving all the things that I use like the usual wifi and cam and other things. I am not able to transfer files using bluetooth and frankly I don't care. But if any update supports it, I'd not mind getting it.

I think Galaxo also comes with a couple of bugs? no? What would you suggest?

Thanks for the reply :)
Cheers

Upvote 0
Well, the latest Galaxo fixed most of the bugs, but there is one where sometimes when you unplug headphones the music start or something. I only use Galaxo for the overclocking (614Mhz or even 710Mhz instead of about 500Mhz!) and the added homescreens. Also, the "no-sleep" bug is fixed in Galaxo, it's a bug where the battery drains because the phone won't sleep. I never experienced it, but a lot of people did.

Before using Galaxo, I flashed 1.6 on my device (JC6), and it was alright.

By the way, if you factory reset, you will lose every installed application, SMS messages, call log, contacts, etc, but you will not lose what is stored on your internal SD card, such as your music, pictures, videos, game saves, documents, etc. Syncing your contacts and calendar with Google is a must.

Reactions: Prongs
Upvote 0
I have synced and backed up my text messages and all that. But am still unsure about flashing my phone yet. Perhaps I'll wait a bit. I don't know didly squat about the root drives and in case I do **** it up, I have no idea about any tech gods that I know who live around me who can repair my system up. Once upon a time, in a previous life, I used to use N gage and whenever I **** it up, it took me 20 minutes to get it flashed. But now things have changed and I really don't want to risk it right away.

I heard there will be 1.6 or 2.0 coming out for my phone and I'll wait for it, say maybe for 3 or 4 months. And if nothing happens even then, then i'll risk it all.

Upvote 0
I have synced and backed up my text messages and all that. But am still unsure about flashing my phone yet. Perhaps I'll wait a bit. I don't know didly squat about the root drives and in case I do **** it up, I have no idea about any tech gods that I know who live around me who can repair my system up. Once upon a time, in a previous life, I used to use N gage and whenever I **** it up, it took me 20 minutes to get it flashed. But now things have changed and I really don't want to risk it right away.

I heard there will be 1.6 or 2.0 coming out for my phone and I'll wait for it, say maybe for 3 or 4 months. And if nothing happens even then, then i'll risk it all.

I wouldn't want to say this, but it's pretty sure Samsung will never release any 2.x release for the Galaxy. You might get 1.6, I heard they released it in Russia and Italy, but don't take my word for it. The 1.6 firmwares we have come from Samsung, but they have not been distributed via their software (NPS) where I live, so I'm not sure about other places, as I said.

The only issue with Galaxo would be that the Music app might randomly start. However this only happens when you use the music app, and if you put the music volume on mute you won't even notice it. It happened to me once right after I had listened to music, but never again after that.

I did talk about GAOSP, the current ROM that is being worked on by some developers. Well, they recently fixed the 3D! (in the last few days) There's also progress on the camera, and I'm not sure what else is missing anymore.

If you do decide to go with Odin, I suggest finding and downloading your current firmware (should be a .tar). If you have your current firmware, you can always go back and you simply can't mess it up. It's really simple.

Installing Galaxo is simple too, but since you need specific drivers for your computer that's where most people have issues. When I started out, I used Odin, then wrote a step-by-step guide for people who had no idea how to do it (just like I was). After a short while I decided to try Galaxo, so I did, and then I wrote another guide for that, and I've been helping the people achieve this since then, along with the other people on our subforum, which I guess you'll be getting to know soon.

Oh well, I hope that I said something that might have interested you, because you might know all of this already. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones