1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Samsung Infuse 4G and Gingerbread

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by fkrepubligion, Jul 15, 2011.

1. fkrepubligion

fkrepubligion Lurker
    None

Jul 15, 2011
    When is the Samsung Infuse 4G going to get the gingerbread and touchwiz 4.0 update that the Infuse 4G Rogers version in Canada has...we should at least have Gingerbread by now. This is really making me regret going with something that wasnt HTC.

Advertisement

2. BadFishCM

BadFishCM Well-Known Member
    None

May 31, 2011
    there have never been ANY official announcements for a date for gingerbread on at&t but they have simply said it's coming. I used to be antsy about it until.I played with my friends phone that has gingerbread and its really not that big of a deal in my opinion. I'm perfectly happy with rooted FROYO for now. Also, Canada does not have the infuse with 2.3 yet.

3. BigCiX

BigCiX Android Expert

Jul 30, 2010
    California
    This was ahis big reason why I don't wanna go with Samsung. They update just about as fast as a snail. In fact I did consider this phone but the lack is samsung support I'm going with the LG Thrill later this month

4. BadFishCM

None

May 31, 2011

This phone was released in may and I've already got one update. They are always helpful and friendly on the phone as well. Seems well supported to me. Seems like your throwing around unfounded accusations.

5. badgermac

badgermac Lurker
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Actually their history with updates is fact, they are hardly unfounded accusations. GPS and updates for the Captivate and other GS phones, the issues with the SPrint Epic and it's Froyo update, etc.

Before you attack someone there Badfish you better have an idea of what you're talking about.

6. BadFishCM

None

May 31, 2011
    Sorry for coming off as abrasive. I wasn't trying to 'attack' anyone. I was speaking from my experience with my INFUSE. I never said Samsung was king of updates. I was talking about THIS phone. Compared to what Ive had with prior experiences. My Samsung has worked like a charm. I've received updates and support whenever needed. For a phone that's less than a half ayear old a lot of people seem to be giving it the 'doomed' never going to get gingerbread image, which I don't see as logical seeing as so far with the INFUSE specifically there haven't been any issues, and already one update in 3 months. With the new Infuse headed to Rogers with 2.3 it is inevitable to arrive in the U.S.

7. johnkb

johnkb Lurker
    None

Aug 4, 2011
    FYI, it's actually touchwiz 3 unfortunetly.. I have the phone :)

8. Lombardi

Lombardi Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Yes I love my infuse!!! I don't have all these glitches and hangups that others talk about...
    We are DEFINITELY getting the gingerbread updates. Starting august 6th.

9. PDConner

PDConner Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    WEll I have the infuse also and have 11 days left to return it.. I think I am going to.. I am used to the iphone 1-4 and miss the GREAT VIDEO quality when you take videos.. The infuse is jerky and I was hoping that the update might fix the issue if so I might keep it but... I dont know lol

10. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    go grab GTG's infused v2b3 gingerbread rom off the XDA site if you want a taste of what this phone can do with the gingerbread platform. it is amazing.

can be tricky to get running, but if you follow his instructions exactly, you should not have problems. and if you happen to brick it, GTG also has a program to unbrick the phone, which is also very easy to use.

i have been on GTG's gingerbread roms for almost a week now, and there are definite advantages over froyo. smoother, more intuitive, more options... you really just need to test it out for yourself!

that being said, this gingerbread rom is probably much better than any official gingerbread update that at&t may release.

11. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    does he have everything pretty much working now?

12. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    it is money. like a totally new phone.

it is a beta, so theres always a chance you will run into a bug or two...

but GTG is so responsive in his threads, that he will help you out with whatever problems you run into, if you even do.

i, personally, have not had any problems whatsoever. plus, i get gtalk with video now - really amazing.

oh, and i know you will be interested in this - battery life is almost unbelievable - i have been getting well over 24 hours from a single charge with medium/heavy usage.

13. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    I will give it a shot...last I checked the cameras were borked and that was a deal breaker

14. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    well, that is one issue... but if you don't need to get into CWM recovery, it isn't a problem.

right now there are 2 kernels - 1 of them has everything working except for CWM recovery, and the other one has everything working, including CWM recovery, but it messes up the viewfinder on your camera (and possibly video playback, i guess). the camera still takes pictures just fine, but the viewfinder goes black.

you can easily switch between the 2 kernels with SGS kernel flasher (free app), so it really has not been a problem at all. but the only reason to switch kernels at all is if you need to boot into CWM recovery.

i would highly recommend it. let me know if you have any more questions - i have read through and been following that entire 100+ page thread on xda, haha.

Mr. Ed likes this.
  15. PDConner

PDConner Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    OK so I have a question.. I have the Infuse.. I am not sure I am keeping it.. I have a week and half left on the thing before I take it back.. If I do (hack it) or what ever it is called is there a way I can just go back to factory reset like you can with the iphone (put it in the dock and just resotre) and it takes it back to factory settings.. If so great if not I Will wait..

Also it says in the instructions that you need to be rooted first.. How do I root it lol.. Sorry this is the frist android I have ever owned.. I have always had the iphones

16. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    yes, it can be done in minutes...and undone in minutes.

there is a how to here in the root section...and on xda

3 AM EDIT...5 tried now and I can't get that gingerbread rom to do anything but boot loop.

I will wait until someone cleans it up

17. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder
    Finally got it flashed...took 8 tries but it took.

Love the rom...battery life is still crap.

there has to be a problem with this phone

it was searching for for signal for over an hour today...lost 40% in about an hour

18. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    did you see that it is out of beta mode now? it is now officially infused v 2.0.0, and can be downloaded from GTG's section in ROM manager and flashed normally!

but i'd still go to his XDA page, and follow his directions precisely.

but yeah, Ed, sounds like you have something wrong... maybe it isn't the phone, but rather, just a bad battery? it sounds like you have connections at samsung, since you got to play with that SGSII... so can you maybe swap batteries for a day, and see if that's it?

the battery life should not be crap... if you just go to the last page of the XDA thread, and page back, you will see many reports stating that the battery life is incredible!

good luck, and don't give up on the infuse! unless you're gonna get the SGSII... haha

19. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder

I think I want to keep it... I believe I have decided that the sgsII can wait until December (we will have a line due for upgrade then)

Everyone I have talked to says this phone has great battery life. I did notice this morning, in the area that it was searching for signal...it is the same city that I have had issues in before....but 15 miles from the prior location.

May be it is just tower outages. I got to work and gave it a full charge ...see how it does. It hasn't been that impressive thu sfar...great signal and about a 10-15% drop per hour with little usage... definitely not what I am used to.

20. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    what kind of widgets are you running? wifi? bluetooth? display brightness?

can you DL CPU Spy from the market, let it run for a day, and see if your phone is ever getting into "deep sleep" mode?

if you notice that your phone is spending lots of time at high frequencies, and not getting into "deep sleep"... then you need to DL Better Battery Stats (not in the android market - i think you can google it) and monitor your wake locks.

it sounds like you either have a bad battery, or something is keeping your phone from entering that "deep sleep" mode.

i bet we can figure this out, and get your battery life to where it should be!

jlabrier likes this.
  21. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Android Expert
    None

Jun 27, 2010
    Phones
    Over Yonder

looks like it is getting better. Thanks for the heads up about the final build and cpu spy!!!

i am at about 14 hours now and still have about 25% left ....and Have not really even begun to tweak.

gingerbread really DOES turn this into a completely different phone!!!!!

22. Lombardi

Lombardi Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 13, 2011
    Thanks for the inf, anyone tried overclocking and undervolting their infuse, I've heard speeds can get as high as 1.8 ghz

23. PDConner

PDConner Member
    None

Jun 11, 2011
    OK before I try this can someone tell me what or how to reset the phone back to Factory if something happens or I dont like it.. I havent ever owned an android before always did it with the iphone and that was (dock and hit restore) and no matter what was up with the phone it took it back to default from factory.. How can I do it with the infuse before I start all this so I know I have a fail safe.. please

24. mfpearson

mfpearson Member
    None

Jul 22, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Ed - glad you don't have to return your phone. I guess froyo just does an awful job of battery/memory management. CPU spy is very helpful to figure out if something is keeping your phone awake while it should be sleeping. Turn your juice defender on and you will be looking at 24+ hours of battery! As we have both stated - it is a brand new phone.

Lombardi - there is no support for uc /ov on infused 2.0.0 gingerbread yet. If you want to do that you need to stick with infused 1.5.3. It does work well, though. Not quite 1.8, although it will let you adjust it to 1.8. It is more like 1.6xx at the most. But uv-ing will save you some battery.

PD - head over to the xda infuse forum and just start reading everything in the developmemt section. Start with the [Odin] post. That is your fail safe.

25. BadFishCM

None

May 31, 2011
    Lovin' infused 2.0. It's amazing with it warm gingerbread goodness!! Couldn't believe how easy it was. Battery life is much improved even though I had no complaints before. Does anyone know where in the XDA forums I can find details on what the add-ons are? I didn't enable any of the addons when I flashed this rom. Just want to find out if any are worth it.