1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Samsung Inspire - Tethering???

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jas0995, Feb 12, 2011.

1. jas0995

jas0995 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    East of Atlanta
    Any word yet if we are going to be able to tether this phone?

WiFi would be coolest, but USB would work for me as well.

Advertisement

2. jas0995

jas0995 Newbie
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    East of Atlanta
    OK, I'm a dumb*ss.... How do I delete a post.... I got the subject line wrong and you can't edit it....

3. ickster

ickster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    I'm definately not the final word on this. But my understanding after searching for the last three days on Samsung and the Indulge is that it can't be rooted right now. The standard tools don't work. There are a few Samsung Galaxy phones that have been out for a while that aren't rooted yet.
    Tethering can't be done without rooting the phone. And Metropcs doesn't allow tethering. It's in your contract. I know this after researching it for my Archos 5. I don't think MetroPCS has any phones or plans that allow it.

As I'm sure you've seen, Silvist is trying as we speak, with no success. (Thanks Silvist!).

I can't wait for this phone to arrive at my local store!!

4. NoCreditDroid

NoCreditDroid Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    You can root the Optimus M and than download an app to tether, but to be honest Metro gets it's balls squeezed by the phone manufacturers....they just are not allowed to give us everything without a contract. Remember that phone manufacturers get kickbacks from ALL cell phone carriers, so they have to fulfill their obligations to ALL cell phone carriers. Do you think apple limited the Iphone's carrier choice for all that time with no monetary gain....I think not.
    There is so much greasing in this industry; it is a wonder that phones to slip out of our hands.

5. ickster

ickster Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    N. Texas
    If I'm not mistaken, I can get an app to tether my rooted Ascend. Just never tried it.