• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung J3 SM-S337TL-2 Models?

Hondohardin

Lurker
Sep 10, 2018
Fl
I only just noticed this when I began looking into wheher my phone would be geeting the Oreo upgrade from 7.0.

1st thing I noticed is my modell# SM-S337TL doesn't seem linsted in the is or isn't getting for Oreo. So that leaves me still wondering if it is or not.

I've always seen it referenced as the Luna Pro (not a lot of indo on it) but I noticed while digging aroundvfor imies an buildnumbers some areas and apps call it a J3 popeltetfntmo.

An identity crisis?? Is this a problem??

Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
I see it's on security patch May 1, 2017. So it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year. I believe the current security patch for Samsung phones is August 1, 2018. I guess it may not be getting Oreo 8.x now, as it maybe EOL and now unsupported by Samsung. I know Samsung pushed out Oreo 8.0 to quite a few devices, like Galaxy S7 and S8, around about May-June this year.

When I searched "SM-S337TL" it came up as a J3 Prime, Tracfone variant. Is Tracfone your carrier?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see it's on security patch May 1, 2017. So it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year. I believe the current security patch for Samsung phones is August 1, 2018. I guess it may not be getting Oreo 8.x now, as it maybe EOL and now unsupported by Samsung. I know Samsung pushed out Oreo 8.0 to quite a few devices, like Galaxy S7 and S8, around about May-June this year.

When I searched 'SM-S337TL' it came up as a J3 Prime, Tracfone variant. Is Tracfone your carrier?

Thank you for responding!

Oh crap...I,hadn't even snapped to the date. That means A.) it hasnt ever updated simce ive owned it.
Simple Mobile but they are owned by Tracfone I think and run on T-Mobile.

One thing I forgot, I'm just started using a Bluetooth tethering app to mimic dial-up connection for my laptop..

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180911-003914.png
    Screenshot_20180911-003914.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 177
  • Screenshot_20180911-003046.png
    Screenshot_20180911-003046.png
    77.8 KB · Views: 194
Last edited:
Upvote 0
I see it's on security patch May 1, 2017. So it looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year. I believe the current security patch for Samsung phones is August 1, 2018. I guess it may not be getting Oreo 8.x now, as it maybe EOL and now unsupported by Samsung. I know Samsung pushed out Oreo 8.0 to quite a few devices, like Galaxy S7 and S8, around about May-June this

Thank you again for catching this. As it turns out, even with phone set for Auto-update it had never updated since I bought it. It shows up to date when checked manually.

Needless to say yhe carrier Simple Mobile left all of my banking and credit card info vulnerable for over a year. They don't even have support for his ontheir website though I haven't checked their parent c.ompany Tracfon yet.

I also got hold of Samsung. They say ththis phone will fotvnoe hey oreo but they have 1) no way of knowinf ifts todayyot a year from now 2) and if I don't replace and switch provoders that leaves me stuck with a company that doesnt take care of thei coluosrumfers..
Now to shop specs and pricibg.
AGAIN i cant thank you enough! 1st step is catch up a years worth of quartly security updates then time for shopping.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones