• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung makes the ipad

5280Man

Aug 16, 2010
I just read an article a friend of mine sent me explaining the ramp up in employees and plants to keep up with the ipad2 demand. Here's the kicker, it's Samsung who's ramping up. They increased their labor force last year as well. Apple is expected the purchase $7.8 billion worth of electronics from Samsung in 2011 alone. Maybe it's just me, but I find that very interesting. Interesting that Samsung makes the ipad for Apple all while having their own line of tablets. I wonder if Samsung makes the iphone too. Talk about getting a piece of the pie, they make money on their own tablets as well as every tablet of their competitors. Talk about good business. Given this info Samsung will always produce a tablet superior to the ipad. They have the inside track as well as the expertise to since they are the ones building them all. Of the ipads and Tabs that is. I'm kinda happy to hear this info. Not sure why though. Lol!

a friend of mine was telling me how alot of manufacturers normally outsource the construction of their devices. making it so that an ipad, motorola xoom or asus tab could all be put together from parts and labor from foxcon or samsung or another company like that.
i thought motorola and the rest all had their own plants making their own stuff.

Upvote 0
I just read an article a friend of mine sent me explaining the ramp up in employees and plants to keep up with the ipad2 demand. Here's the kicker, it's Samsung who's ramping up. They increased their labor force last year as well. Apple is expected the purchase $7.8 billion worth of electronics from Samsung in 2011 alone.

I think I know the article you're referring to, though I don't always trust the full story if it's coming from 'Apple Insider'.

I think the ramp-up in Samsung's Texas location is probably a normal evolution of Samsung's expansion plans for their foundry business in North America. They can leverage production in this side of the Pacific when parts can be moved faster and at a lesser cost when it's centralized somewhere here in the States, especially when you have big customers like Apple and anyone other company who uses Samsung's DRAM and CPU chip fabrication. A 2010 report showed that the top fabless chip suppliers were mostly from the US (Qualcomm, AMD, Broadcom, to list a few). I think Samsung is trying to compete with their Taiwanese counterparts for the foundry business by going where the top paying customers are. (and that includes Apple).

That being said, the A5 chips in the iPad 2 are currently produced by Samsung. However, it seems Apple is going to be using TSMC, a Taiwanese company, for future A5 fabs, most notably with the upcoming iPhone 5. This is probably a good thing for both Samsung and Apple. Apple doesn't have to worry about Samsung, their competitor, having access to their chip designs and Samsung can free up their resources for their own products as well as perhaps better serve other customers who might have considered going to a competitor company for their fabrications.

Upvote 0
The same argument you can make is that, since the Chinese are manufacturing all these popular mobile devices right now, eventually, they will manufacture these devices for themselves. Just look at what's happen to Cisco is a great example. Cisco offshored their manufacturing to China and now they are being "slaughtered" by the Chinese competitors.

Upvote 0
samsung makes ipad2 A5 chips but uses Nvidea chips for its own tablets . I think apple gives propriety instruction to samsung for bulk production only . Also a reason why apple is ahead coz it produces different component from different firms depending upon there status in that field for e.g iphone screen is made by LG , processor Qualcomm .. The final product is superior then others and cost less due to bulk orders .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones