• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung May Be Looking At Some Trouble

Korea got it right.... In all actuality, the apple design patent should be voided, as it never should have been granted in the first place for a shape of a phone.

South Korean court rules Samsung didn’t copy Apple’s iPhone design, but both infringed patents - The Washington Post

Wouldn't be surprised if verdict gets tossed 20 Sep. 2012.

Apple vs. Samsung: Hold the phone -- it ain't over yet | Computerworld Blogs

"How feasible is it that the verdict could be overturned? Well, I'm certainly no lawyer -- I don't even play one on TV -- but the website Groklaw has put together a fascinating list of issues that could bring the validity of the jury's finding into question. I'd highly recommend reading through it yourself."

Upvote 0
Wouldn't be surprised if verdict gets tossed 20 Sep. 2012.

Apple vs. Samsung: Hold the phone -- it ain't over yet | Computerworld Blogs

"How feasible is it that the verdict could be overturned? Well, I'm certainly no lawyer -- I don't even play one on TV -- but the website Groklaw has put together a fascinating list of issues that could bring the validity of the jury's finding into question. I'd highly recommend reading through it yourself."

Saw that days ago, it's already here on Page 2 :thumbup:

With any luck apple will get what's coming to them. No doubt their busy stealing, Erm, "innovating" ideas for the iphony 6 already.

Upvote 0
A bit sensational but still, put this together with pj's Groklaw comments -

WHAT? Juror in Apple-Samsung Suit May Have Owned Patent Used by Apple - AndroidPIT

Between the inconsistencies of the verdict and this article, it makes me think that the appealed trial will be a bit different. Especially if they can get out of San Jose.

I'm now curious what information Judge Koh is permitted to weigh in on. If she can read these articles, or be informed about them, and be able to act on it to reverse the verdict. She is the next person in line to make any decision that matters, so I'm waiting for her opinion on it.

With any luck, she'll either reverse the verdict or (at the least) deny the device bans and approve it for appeals.

While a reversal would be optimal, making it so it has to be appealed before any real action would be a good outcome. Forcing Apple to go through a long appeal process before they can do anything real to the Android community.

Upvote 0
A bit sensational but still, put this together with pj's Groklaw comments -

WHAT? Juror in Apple-Samsung Suit May Have Owned Patent Used by Apple - AndroidPIT

Would this be cause for a mistrial?
I've only been called for jury duty once, but since the case was about armed robbery, I brought up that I had been robbed several times in the past. Never armed, and I told the judge and lawyers it wouldn't affect my judgement but they dismissed me anyway.
I'd think having held patents, he'd have trouble being unbiased in his decision?

Upvote 0
Would this be cause for a mistrial?
I've only been called for jury duty once, but since the case was about armed robbery, I brought up that I had been robbed several times in the past. Never armed, and I told the judge and lawyers it wouldn't affect my judgement but they dismissed me anyway.
I'd think having held patents, he'd have trouble being unbiased in his decision?

In my armchair lawyer opinion: I have a feeling it would only matter if Apple actually did use the patent. Then a conflict of interest could be claimed by Samsung (or their lawyers) that they have someone who is trying to protect their licensing partners.

But again, I'm no lawyer and I might be missing a number of facts. I also think the rushed jury verdict and the inconsistencies are going to make for a good post-trial show. And Judge Koh could just make all of this irrelevant, anyways.

Upvote 0
Well, looks like it's time for some...
popcorn.jpg

Upvote 0
Jury Foreman Explains How They Reached A Verdict In Apple vs Samsung Case [Video]

the Jury foreman had an... Ha-Ha moment.. see it at 14:45 into the video.
and at 13:35 he explains how prior art would not apply.
he explained that to the others.. and used that to help move forward with the other case points.

well.. if that was the case..
would IOS work just by putting it into and android phone?
then by his rule.. samsung did not violate the patent?

of course not!
so would this not be a good point to invalidate the ruling??

Upvote 0
Lucy Koh is experienced in the area of patent law, and she seemed perfectly willing to bust both sides' chops during pre-trial hearings and the trial itself. Her appointment as a US District judge is for life, so there's not a lot anyone can do to her at this point ... though it is worth noting that Feinstein and Boxer were the ones who put her up for the judgeship.

While I agree with you, the fact that she's a District court judge does not, in and of itself, guarantee that she's not interested in moving up to an appeals court... to a circuit court... or ultimately to the U.S. Supreme Court.

And then there is her husband, Tino. He is also a lawyer and former official in both the Clinton and Obama administrations. In theory an offer could have been made that would have benefitted Tino. Who knows! And, in any case, I was only guessing at a possible scenario. None of what I said is based in fact... :smokingsomb:

The Federal court system, like anything connected to our government, can be political. While I would hope it would be otherwise, it is sometimes prudent to be skeptical of possible hidden agendas.

Upvote 0
Why Apple Actually Lost to Samsung
Apple made a big deal about its patents on the bezel, the angles of the corner curves, and other designs it apparently patented. People in general reacted with astonishment that anyone could get a patent for a curve or straight line or flat surface.

This sent two messages through the brains of consumers: First, this is an idiotic patent and Apple is grasping for straws. Second, the company is spending too much time on minutiae rather than actual functionality.
...can you say Etch-a-Sketch?

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
AFP: Judge sets December hearing on Samsung phone ban

Wait one minute. Hold the phone.
You mean to tell me that that $1 billion could be tripled, and that the S3 is facing simular litigation in a separate suit?
You know, seriously, I was contemplating getting another Samsung phone, but now I'm gonna hold off. As I said, there's just too much uncertainty involved in all this. Logic tells me one thing, but circumstances are yelling something else. I mean as far as I'm concerned, I don't give a damn if they copied them or not. I just don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars, then not be able to have it supported.

Upvote 0
AFP: Judge sets December hearing on Samsung phone ban

Wait one minute. Hold the phone.
You mean to tell me that that $1 billion could be tripled, and that the S3 is facing simular litigation in a separate suit?
You know, seriously, I was contemplating getting another Samsung phone, but now I'm gonna hold off. As I said, there's just too much uncertainty involved in all this. Logic tells me one thing, but circumstances are yelling something else. I mean as far as I'm concerned, I don't give a damn if they copied them or not. I just don't want to shell out hundreds of dollars, then not be able to have it supported.

Who said ANYTHING about Samsung not supporting it?!

FACT: The US is NOT the entire planet Earth. The Galaxy S3 is STILL going to be legal everywhere else. Ergo, there will still be software support for it. While Samsung may not be able to sell the phone if it were to be banned, that's as far as the ban goes. It does not mean any software developed for it is now illegal, to have or distribute.

So go ahead and buy that Galaxy S3. Apple can't do jack to block software updates.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones