• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung MHL to HDMI Adapter on Amazon for ~$22

AnotherHiggins

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
NC
Samsung has an MHL* to HDMI adapter on their site for $40. You plug this into your Micro USB connector on the bottom of your phone, plug a charger into the adapter, and use and HDMI cable to connect your phone to an HDTV.

Amazon has the same item for $22.60. It's also available from various Amazon Market retailers. Right now the cheapest one is offering it for $20.71 including shipping. I just ordered directly through Amazon since my Prime membership gets me free 2-day shipping.

I like the idea of a dock, the one from Verizon (thanks to streetfish for finding that, BTW) is not only $60, but it holds the phone in portrait. As soon as you initiate HDMI mirroring the phone is forced into - and locked in - landscape, so I think an adapter cable will be a more convenient and functional item. If you want to play any games on your big screen or control video playback from the phone, this will allow you to hold the phone while watching the TV.

Also, and this is a nice touch, according to some of the reviews I've read the video controls only show up on the phone so they don't clutter up the movie on the TV.

I'll write up my impressions when I get it. Mine should arrive on Friday.

Oh, and if you don't have any extra HDMI cables around, check out Monoprice.com. (BTW, MonoPrice offers an MHL to HDMI adapter of their own for $10.20, but I've seen some reviews suggesting that people are having mixed results with it. For 20 bucks, I'll just go for the Samsung item.)

* MHL = Mobile High-definition Link.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones