• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment - Android 2.0 Availability?

What I was saying is HTC makes the "Official" phone that folks developing software for the Android OS use, and there's a huge thread in the Devloper forums which implies that there's not going to be an official release of 2.0 for it.

This was addressing concerns that a "Google Experience" phone wouldn't be left out in the cold vis-a-vis future updates.
Still don't understand what HTC has to do with the Moment.

Upvote 0
Still don't understand what HTC has to do with the Moment.

i think kencrudup was mainly replying to a comment that "google wouldn't leave their google experience phones out in the cold". its a bit off topic here as it doesn't have anything to do with samsungs moment. the moment uses a plain vanilla 1.5. so ota updates wouldn't be so hard. the updates will come. it just depends on the carrier. technically all google experience phones should be guaranteed future updates.

Upvote 0
its a bit off topic here as it doesn't have anything to do with samsungs moment. the moment uses a plain vanilla 1.5. so ota updates wouldn't be so hard. the updates will come. it just depends on the carrier. technically all google experience phones should be guaranteed future updates.

Yeah, I know, I was just trying to get him to explain the reason he was posting regarding HTC in the Moment forum. ;)

Upvote 0
i guess thats the only thing on topic here

?!

This is not about HTC (only mentioned here because they just happened to make the ADP1/G1) nor the xda devs (in fact, this info comes from Google's own developer groups). Someone was saying that GE phones will likely get all updates, and I'm saying that the most popular hardware for developers to build applications on (not to mention the barely-a-year-old G1) was barely able to get 1.6 and may never be able to get 2.0, except via the hacker community (which might not be an attractive option for those producing apps for officially-supported phones).

Upvote 0
So have they ever come out directly and said they will not update this phone?

No, they have not. They've hinted at updates (not specifically 2.0) and I fully expect the phone to be updated and I've read hints that it will get updated in Q1 of 2010, but that's just conjecture.

Gizmodo is kind of jumping to conclusions based on info that I cannot gather where he gleened that the moment will not get updated and that samsung does not update their phones. Last I gathered, samsung has been pretty good at updating their phones.

Upvote 0
When I e-mailed Sprint about this exact question a few weeks ago I was given this reply:

Thank you for contacting Sprint. Both the Moment and the Hero will be
getting an update to 2.0 from what we have been told. Unfortunately, we
do not have a timeframe available for the update, but we do know that it
will not be an over the air update, it will be a wired update. Please
continue to check Sprint.com and Samsung.com for more updates regarding
the Moment's update.

So, unless something drastic has changed since the 9th (date of the response) the Moment will be getting 2.0 for sure - but you may have to update it from your computer.

Clark

Upvote 0
This is kinda funny. I just posted a message in the HERO group asking for input based on experience as I am trying to decide between HERO or Moment. After reading this thread, I have decided to go with HERO as I dont want a phone from a company that doesnt take care of their phones. No updates? No Moment for me. HERO here I come.:D

Thanks,

Gizmodo

Thanks, that's great news as we were all sitting on our hands and holding our breath waiting on your decision. Now, run along and buy your POS!

Upvote 0
When I e-mailed Sprint about this exact question a few weeks ago I was given this reply:

So, unless something drastic has changed since the 9th (date of the response) the Moment will be getting 2.0 for sure - but you may have to update it from your computer.

Clark
And updating from the computer for a major OS update like that certainly isn't a big deal. I'll bet that they've even do this for you in a Sprint store if you asked them to. I'd bet that at least 99% of the people who buy Android-based smartphones and would care about the 2.0 upgrade wouldn't have a problem with a wired update, though.

Upvote 0
Heres something from engadget a while ago. I would guess that q2 at the latest based off both sprint and samsung.

LINK TO POST:
Android rumor rodeo, starring Sprint's first 4G phone, a delayed Eclair, INQ Mobile's 2010 handset, and more -- Engadget

QUOTED FROM ARTICLE:
he gang at Android and Me seemed to have made quite a number of acquaintances on their sojourn through CTIA and MotoDev Summit. Specifically, there were three people along the way they reportedly talked to that led to the most tantalizing of rumors. First down the rabbit hole is a Sprint developer who claimed the first 4G (i.e. WiMAX) phone will be an Android device, which honestly wouldn't be all that shocking given the company's love for and recent history with the OS. Next up is a Samsung exec that intimated we shouldn't expect Android 2.0 "Eclair" until Q2 2010 -- interesting in its own right, but looks like those whispers of Sholes launching with anything beyond Donut isn't gonna come to fruition now. Our third definitive individual is an INQ head employee who let slip its handsets would be finding its way onto a US carrier's network in 2010 and would have a "pimped out" customized Android skin chock full of social networking the likes of Spotify, Skype, Facebook, etc. The rest of its report is much ado about nothing -- no LG android phone this year, no TomTom app this year, and no standalone Google Maps navigation software. Yeah, that's quite a number of Android rumors to digest, and unfortunately nothing definitive. Looking forward to the future?

Upvote 0
And updating from the computer for a major OS update like that certainly isn't a big deal. I'll bet that they've even do this for you in a Sprint store if you asked them to. I'd bet that at least 99% of the people who buy Android-based smartphones and would care about the 2.0 upgrade wouldn't have a problem with a wired update, though.

i don't have a problem with upgrading through my pc but why can't they have ota updates. i believe sprint and samsung should give us a choice with both upgrade types being made available to all android phone on their network. before i upgraded to a android type phone i believed that all android based phones would have easy access to all updates as soon as they're available. ie, don't have to wait for sprint or samsung. :mad:

Upvote 0
i don't have a problem with upgrading through my pc but why can't they have ota updates.
Part of the issue might be due to lessons learned with the G1- turns out that because HTC/T-Mobile(/Google?) wanted to make sure that OTA updates would always work, they set aside a large section of flash just to hold the OTA update, which can't be (easily) resized nor used for anything else- and because of that, the G1 might be unable to take some of the latest Android versions because there's no ROM space left over.

... and I hate to use the "I-word" around here, but upgrades via a connected PC is how the iPhone does it, and that community seems to be OK with it. Besides, it's generally faster and safer to do it via a PC anyway.

before i upgraded to a android type phone i believed that all android based phones would have easy access to all updates as soon as they're available. ie, don't have to wait for sprint or samsung. :mad:
Yeah, but that would only hold true if the Google SW distributiion covered the entirety of the phone's SW- but that's far from the case. The underlying "BSP", which are the linux device-drivers for the various devices for things like the touchscreen, the audio, keys, etc. all have to be updated, sometimes quite heavily, to support the new kernels and/or Android requirements. Because of that, each manufacturer (and by extension, each phone) have to have work done when the release is considered good enough to ship, holding back the release a bit.

Upvote 0
... but why can't they have ota updates?
Oh, and I'll bet "point" releases (i.e., 2.0 to 2.1) might be OTA- after all, we do have that "Device Self-Service" app that includes a "Firmware Update" button. Perhaps going to 2.0 (although I'd rather have had 1.6 sooner than 2.0 later for now) has too much of a chance to go wrong via an OTA update?

(... of course, it's all speculation on my part, but I've worked closely with a couple of Android-based phone hardware platforms and those are the most likely scenarios.)

Upvote 0
From experience, it isn't Samsung holding back 2.0. In fact, I bet they have it fully functional and on Sprint's desk. For those of you new to Sprint's release procedure, look no further than the Blackberry Curve. I got a curve around aug '08- they had been out already for some time. Months of being strung along with "4.5 coming out soon" from sprint, while all the other carriers had that all-important 4.5 firmware drove everybody crazy. When I had gotten the phone I had already read on forums like these about how the firmware update was months overdue- in August. Hell Sprint had 4.6 coming out for the nextel curve, yet kept everybody at 4.3 for the sprint curve/pearl- why? Because they were testing it. And it was still buggy (I downgraded 2 pearls after upgrading them because they were so sluggish post-update). So what was sprint doing for all that time? God only knows, but finally, Feb '09, they released it.

I had a choice between the Hero and the Moment. I'm guessing HTC is more in-tune with their customers, just comparing them to Samsung's mercenary approach, but I went with the Moment anyway (it is technically superior, save for the camera). I knew the 2.0 firmware was/is looming, but reading this thread and knowing 2.0 is out.. it gave me deja-vu. Don't be shocked when 12/15 comes and goes with no update. Then Jan 15th, and Feb 15th.. I'd love to be wrong, but if history is any guide a rapid release of 2.0 is not in the cards. I like the phone a lot, but there are issues with it- and a sluggish feeling I don't get from the Hero- yet it has a faster processor.. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
OTA updates are really complicated IMO.

A 200 meg file will take a long time to download via OTA. This also bogs down the network on the towers to download the update.

There is the possibility that a failed OTA transfer will render the update process error and the device must be hard reset and started over.

There are also issues for people like me who have really low service in their area, and mostly none.
VZW and Sprint maps, even GSM maps show there is service in my area, but that is a fat lie.
I'm lucky to make phone calls, and I'm in a decently populated area.

Quit speculating on an update.
2.0 will come.
Sprint/samsung used 1.5 because sprint seems to be slacking for everything. It was noticeable with the Touch Pro and the MMS pictures stuff. They are trying ot be cheep and save money. They no longer give out deals to long time corporate customers (me, I would know) Which pisses me off. I was not able to get any deal on this phone whatsoever like I did my touch pro. Which I should have just stayed with my Mogul until this phone was released.

Now, as for a q2 update, that is just assinine. If this phone is rooted. I'm sure that devs will release a 2.0 update well before, or even a better working 1.6 update. Developers for large corporations drag their feet. If google did the developing on this stuff, this phone woulda been released with 2.0, as well as the droid.
Who cares abou the hero, that cheep piece of HTC crap.

I Speculate that the moment was released with 1.5 due to a request from sprint to prevent things like tethering and such. 1.5 limits the caipabilities of this phone. To simply release it with an outdated OS means nothing more but hinderance.
Like a state of the art PC running Windows 3.1, or some old version of linux slackware.
Software limits the hardware caipabilities. And this phone certinaly shows it.
It is obvious this phone has issues, and they are simple ones, but annoying nonetheless due ot the 1.5 os most likely being intigrated with 1.6 for CDMA compatibility.

Now, lets flame on the other idiot in here who said this phone works just fine.

[Read the rules thread.]

This phone Does NOT work just fine.
The camera bugs out most of the time, the battery meter reads inaccuratly which screws up phone useage. The phone still lasts for friggen ever, but I noticed that its keeping the phone from charging the battery all the way. Which in turn is shortening my battery life day to day, which is annoying me.

The phone has calling issues. Phone likes to hang (stop working) while trying to end calls. Battery must be removed to reset. (which is a pain gah, I miss reset)

I'm sure there are some other basic issues. These are just the start, there is a whole thread, where most of them are isolized events due to widgets and other installs on the phone.

Pluss, somewhere in there, sprint asked samsung to make the phone start up all its sprint apps in the background and run them to suck up more battery life.
I constantly am closing the NFL crap and sprint tv or whatever.
I dont want/use this junk.

And to comment on sprint's apps being out dated.
These companies need to stop trying to develop software.
Save the money and work on your PR! Make sure your employee's are educated.
Give us better phone rates.
92 a month for me to run this damn phone.
Thats with my corporate discount. I was running 89 a month with an old buisness 1000 Plan, but thatw asn't good enough.
Why can i just not, cheeply, purchase the features I need. 1000 minutes.
Full data, texting. and be done.
Why do i haev to pay for sprint TV and NFL live. and all this other bullcrap.
65 a month seems very fair for a good minute/data plan from a phone company.
These people rake in money. 100 people with this phone.
Lets see, lets add 2 zeros.
Thats 10,000 a month, from 100 users.
i'm sure well over 1000 people have this phone already.
Thats 100,000 a month.
Wait. I'm off topic.

Sprint navigation is dumb and outdated, as is other sprint apps.
Work with companies like google to develope good software to add to these phones that is not obtrusive.

It's not people like Us who will be downfall of technology. Its the idiots who develope it and the uneducated users who get pissed off and flame the products in the media and on their blogs and myspace and crap.

Oh, look forward to my samsung moment review on Midnight Mods
I will actually try and post this one, unlike my touch pro review. OOOPS!
And WTH SEIDO! No samsung moment support? you got droid holsters in the making, but I cannot get non pouch belt clip for my moment like i did my touch pro?!

Upvote 0
want some cheese to go with all that whine? One, sounds like you need a better rep. My rep got us either Android phone for $100 on existing lines and $50 for new lines. I'm also running 15 lines and 2 data cards for under $1100/mo. Only one phone doesn't use data.

With so many calls being made to mobile phones it's easy to drop the minutes down and use their cheaper plans, which all are already quite a bit cheaper than what you'll find on any other major carrier. If this is for business and you have many lines then your company needs to look at the Business Advantage plans that pool minutes. So you can have one line on the $150 4000 minute plan and throw the rest on the 200 minute plan for $30. All the minutes pool and with the free mobile to mobile the minutes are only used for peak time landline calls.

Sprint nav does the trick for casual use. If you "need" nav, you should have a standalone. And when you can get a Garmin 255 for under $100, it's tough to complain. Your other rants aren't even worth responding too.

Upvote 0
want some cheese to go with all that whine? One, sounds like you need a better rep. My rep got us either Android phone for $100 on existing lines and $50 for new lines. I'm also running 15 lines and 2 data cards for under $1100/mo. Only one phone doesn't use data.

With so many calls being made to mobile phones it's easy to drop the minutes down and use their cheaper plans, which all are already quite a bit cheaper than what you'll find on any other major carrier. If this is for business and you have many lines then your company needs to look at the Business Advantage plans that pool minutes. So you can have one line on the $150 4000 minute plan and throw the rest on the 200 minute plan for $30. All the minutes pool and with the free mobile to mobile the minutes are only used for peak time landline calls.

Sprint nav does the trick for casual use. If you "need" nav, you should have a standalone. And when you can get a Garmin 255 for under $100, it's tough to complain. Your other rants aren't even worth responding too.

Yea. I wish it was that easy.
but yea, I know the sprint plans are cheaper.

But 90% of my calls are made to land line phones.
So free mobile to mobile does nothing for my business.
And as for phones on the business plan, it's only mine.

The Garmins really are sweet, but I rarely try and rely on a navigation system. Yet alone one that is always in my face. I just plan my route for work before I leave my home, or in the hotel room that night.
I giggle with people who cannot get anywhere without one of them. They get lost because they cannot read road signs. hehe.

And that's sweet that you got your phones for 100 dollars, but I don't have a business account, so I don't get all those fancy things. I only get the standard upgrade stuff, which sucks. That is why I did not get a deal.

I had business 1000 because it was the best plan for what I needed.

As for any of my other stuff, your not supposed to respond.
They are opinions. If you don't agree, move along. =)

Most of it you cannot argue back with anyways. There is nothing to argue about unless you wanna start a flame war.

Upvote 0
This is the answer I got from my Sprint rep about upgrades to the Moment:

This is what my data guy just told me about our two Android phones and the possibility of the upgrade to the OS:

From HTC:
Yes, we are working on an Eclair update for the HTC Hero. Because Eclair is a significantly enhanced release, it will require some time to update Sense for this new version of the Android OS. Please be patient while we work to provide you with a tightly integrated experience like the one you are already enjoying on your Hero. Folks around here tend to think Q1 of 2010. No official release date.

No announced timeframe for the Moment. Moment should be easier because it is native Android without the custom HTC Sense skin, but Google likes to launch new versions on a single device at a time and this will be 2.1.

Upvote 0
I contacted Sprint today about this issue, and received the following message:

I am sorry currently we do not have any update regarding the
availability of Android 2.0 upgrade for the Samsung Moment phone. Yes
the upgrade (Android 2.0) will available on our website, please check
our website periodically.

It sounds like nothing has changed since Tyrahn contacted them a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones