• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment - Android 2.0 Availability?

Hey all,

Just thought everyone would like to know that you can download the SDK from Android directly and update your phone with the newer 2.0 Eclair Android.

The new 2.0 Eclair is great and offers far more options then the stock Cupcake (1.5) that came with your Samsung Moment or HTC Hero.

Have fun with the update and enjoy!

except half the stuff doesn't work on it, most of us kind of need the phone and data functions of our device.

Upvote 0
Hey all,

Just thought everyone would like to know that you can download the SDK from Android directly and update your phone with the newer 2.0 Eclair Android.

The new 2.0 Eclair is great and offers far more options then the stock Cupcake (1.5) that came with your Samsung Moment or HTC Hero.

Dont toy with my emotions like that. . Not cool.
#sad
SamsungMobileUS: @********* At this time, we don't have any info on an time, we don't have any info on an update for the Moment. We will be sure to keep you posted! to keep you posted

Upvote 0
Hey all,

yes you can download the SDK... but that's all it is.. the Software Developers Kit.. used to make Android apps.. it is NOT 2.0 and it will NOT install or upgrade you to 2.0.

Upvote 0
Does any really know what Android is? It's Linux but designed for the mobile phone industry, operating on the Linux 2.6 kernel. With that being said, you can update you're device using the SDK version of the Android 2.0. That's what I have done with my Samsung Moment and everything works great. No problems. I can not guarantee that the update will work for everyone, but worked fine for me. I can still send/receive calls, text and pictures. The camera has far superior editing option then the original camera.

Upvote 0
Does any really know what Android is? It's Linux but designed for the mobile phone industry, operating on the Linux 2.6 kernel. With that being said, you can update you're device using the SDK version of the Android 2.0. That's what I have done with my Samsung Moment and everything works great. No problems. I can not guarantee that the update will work for everyone, but worked fine for me. I can still send/receive calls, text and pictures. The camera has far superior editing option then the original camera.

Since you are the only person that has a fully working 2.0 on your Moment, why not provide us with screenshots?

Upvote 0

Seriously, what are you even talking about? Assuming you're not just trying to bait us... what did you do that makes you think you're running Eclair on a Moment? We have a lot of smart people working on porting Eclair for use on our phones in another forum... it's not as simple as you're suggesting by far. So you're either terribly confused about something you did, or are really communicating it badly. So which is it?

Upvote 0
The person claiming he got 2.0 running on the moment via the sdk and it is fully working is full of crap..
I am not getting into the technical aspects of it, but trust me with MFS being properitery only to samsung and the linux kernel being stripped to no drivers (have to build the drivers to the hardware specific in the device) along with all the module being specific to the hardware configuration there is no chance of simply building 2.0 via the sdk and flashing it to the moment...

http://www.sdx-developers.com/index.php?topic=31.0

That link is into a current 2.0.1 rom development for the moment.. you might notice it is a little more complex then just "building from the sdk and flashing it the moment"

Upvote 0
By the way, the explanation from "Soundwave" is most plausible to my mind.

From experience, it isn't Samsung holding back 2.0. In fact, I bet they have it fully functional and on Sprint's desk. For those of you new to Sprint's release procedure, look no further than the Blackberry Curve. I got a curve around aug '08- they had been out already for some time. Months of being strung along with "4.5 coming out soon" from sprint, while all the other carriers had that all-important 4.5 firmware drove everybody crazy. When I had gotten the phone I had already read on forums like these about how the firmware update was months overdue- in August. Hell Sprint had 4.6 coming out for the nextel curve, yet kept everybody at 4.3 for the sprint curve/pearl- why? Because they were testing it. And it was still buggy (I downgraded 2 pearls after upgrading them because they were so sluggish post-update). So what was sprint doing for all that time? God only knows, but finally, Feb '09, they released it.

I had a choice between the Hero and the Moment. I'm guessing HTC is more in-tune with their customers, just comparing them to Samsung's mercenary approach, but I went with the Moment anyway (it is technically superior, save for the camera). I knew the 2.0 firmware was/is looming, but reading this thread and knowing 2.0 is out.. it gave me deja-vu. Don't be shocked when 12/15 comes and goes with no update. Then Jan 15th, and Feb 15th.. I'd love to be wrong, but if history is any guide a rapid release of 2.0 is not in the cards. I like the phone a lot, but there are issues with it- and a sluggish feeling I don't get from the Hero- yet it has a faster processor.. I don't get it.

Upvote 0
I see, just a bug fix.

Thanks for the link, pdx77.

Here's another link: (For some reason this stuff is too new to have been indexed for Google-search, just yet.)

Sprint updates Moment the old fashioned way – Android and Me

The new update (version CL14) improves battery life, updates the Sprint apps, and fixes some bugs. Unfortunately, this update still leaves the phone on Android 1.5, but an update to Android 2.1 is still scheduled for later this year.

In response to Jim W, re: my deciding factor, I'd be thrilled if you can tell me another Android 1.6 or 2.0 phone that has the slide-out QWERTY keyboard! This, along with user reviews, plus the lower-priced Sprint rates, were the reasons for my (tentative) decision. Definitely decided on Android 1.6 or better, now I just have to find the device.

Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I'd be thrilled if you can tell me another Android 1.6 or 2.0 phone that has the slide-out QWERTY keyboard!

The droid was the first phone with 2.0. I know that the G1 has been updated to either 1.6 or 2.0 because it can run Google Goggles. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other QWERTY Androids also have a higher firmware level.

I love my Moment, and I think it has some great hardware, but yes, it is definitely behind as far as firmware.

Upvote 0
The droid was the first phone with 2.0. I know that the G1 has been updated to either 1.6 or 2.0 because it can run Google Goggles. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the other QWERTY Androids also have a higher firmware level.

I love my Moment, and I think it has some great hardware, but yes, it is definitely behind as far as firmware.

The G1 currently has 1.6 (legally). No word if that phone is going to be updated to 2.+

Upvote 0

Android 2.1 coming to Sprint HTC Hero, Samsung Moment

Android 2.1 coming to Sprint HTC Hero, Samsung Moment | Android Atlas - CNET Blogs

On Thursday, Sprint revised a tweet it sent out last week regarding an Android update for the Samsung Moment and HTC Hero. Both smartphones won't be getting an Android 2.0 update; instead, they will get Android 2.1. (Pause for applause.)
The carrier made the announcement via its Twitter account, but unfortunately didn't provide any more specific details as to when the updates might be rolled out other than it would be sometime in the first half of 2010.
Currently, only the Nexus One is running Android 2.1. While features of this version of the operating system are still largely unknown, some people have spied enhancements including a Palm WebOS-like Deck of Cards feature, more home screen panes, and additional 3D items in the app tray.

Upvote 0
In response to Jim W, re: my deciding factor, I'd be thrilled if you can tell me another Android 1.6 or 2.0 phone that has the slide-out QWERTY keyboard! This, along with user reviews, plus the lower-priced Sprint rates, were the reasons for my (tentative) decision. Definitely decided on Android 1.6 or better, now I just have to find the device.

Thanks in advance!

Maybe I misunderstood your previous post.

I read your post as you wanted a Moment, but were not going to buy it unless it had 2.0. Hence my comment......2.0 is said to be coming within a few months, so it would silly to buy another phone (that you could in essence have for a couple of years) rather than wait for the update.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones