• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment - No audible notification for messsages

This may be obvious, but you set the sound for the notification in each app.

Then what isn't obvious, is that there is a separate volume level for notifications as well. I use an app called Quick Settings to see and set all six of the different volume levels. If you try that app, the volume control option needs to be added to the default list via the customize settings option.

How you change those without Quick Settings is beyond me.

Upvote 0
I had a issue with my first Moment that it did not download and now with this new one I am missing my Blackberry due to the fact there is no notification LED and the sound is way to short to notice.
Trying to run a business off this will be impossible with the low vibration and short ring that is not like the phone ring.
funny there are over 12,000 apps for goofy things, but none for increasing phone notification awareness.

What a shame as I love the web part of it but as a business phone it is up a creek.

Anyone know of a good app that will increase vibration or at least give a longer ringer so I would not miss important emails and text messages ?

Seems a Geek could make lots of money making that app.

Upvote 0
This might be off subject. If you press email on your home screen (or via
your loaded Markets' List) and then select one of your email accounts, you can then press menu, select account settings and under the section [Notification settings] assign a ringtone for that email account. You can also turn vibrate on or off there --and decide whether status bar will get notified of arriving email for that email account. Soundsi of these notifications will enter your bluetooth headset and come out of the phone speaker thereafter.

Upvote 0
Okay folks.....lotsa basic crap being tossed about here. Most of your answers are in settings>sounds and display>xxxx

To the original poster, you have to select your SMS to actually show up in the status bar and when you do that, you can assign it a ringtone. To the person irritated by the vibration....you can disable it here. To the guy that needs a longer ring/vibrate, there are a few ringtone apps you can download and that should solve your problem

Upvote 0
Okay folks.....lotsa basic crap being tossed about here. Most of your answers are in settings>sounds and display>xxxx

To the original poster, you have to select your SMS to actually show up in the status bar and when you do that, you can assign it a ringtone. To the person irritated by the vibration....you can disable it here. To the guy that needs a longer ring/vibrate, there are a few ringtone apps you can download and that should solve your problem

I have the apps listed flyjbaker but a longer ring is not the issue.
You obviously never owned a Blackberry as this phone is very weak in notification and terrible for use as a business phone unless you download the apps I listed.

If you go in the shower and come out you could totally miss a call unless you wish to be all the time be waking up the already weak battery.

Perhaps you could be helpful and name these other apps rather than sounding critical.

Yes I have found that buzz can be turned off ,but many have the same issues I do.

I suggest missed call as the best of the three for my issue.

Handcent allows download of your own music to make the email tone longer including tape recording a custom message right from the phone.
These are all free.
(hope this helps)

Upvote 0
That was my point Bob. Just go to the market and make it work. That is what Android is all about. If the phone doesn't do something you like or does do something you don't like, there is usually an app out there to make it how you want it. Did you succeed in getting the "loud and long" ringtone(BTW I agree with you on this issue)? It sounds like you have the issue resolved. Is there a solution to everything? No there is not....ie the lack of any notification while the phone is still asleep. I will say the Samsung Instinct had the same issue and it was successfully addressed in an update(blinking Home/Menu?Back buttons).

Upvote 0
That was my point Bob. Just go to the market and make it work. That is what Android is all about. If the phone doesn't do something you like or does do something you don't like, there is usually an app out there to make it how you want it. Did you succeed in getting the "loud and long" ringtone(BTW I agree with you on this issue)? It sounds like you have the issue resolved. Is there a solution to everything? No there is not....ie the lack of any notification while the phone is still asleep. I will say the Samsung Instinct had the same issue and it was successfully addressed in an update(blinking Home/Menu?Back buttons).
OK misread you.

So happens I just took a shower and heard my extended notification tone .
Still have issue with no LED display but that can never be fixed unless someone develops a blinking keyboard app. (hint)
Come-on developers, you can get rich at .99 a pop times 100,000 or so.

If I knew code I would be doing it right now.

Upvote 0
maybe it would be enough to flash the home/menu/back buttons in lieu of a simple green/red LED? If not- perhaps there's a way to flash the hangup/wakeup button and use that as the flash notification on a sms msg? I can't believe they forgot a simple LED..
otherwise: Settings -> Sound & Display -> Notification Ringtone

Upvote 0
Unfortunately notification ring tone does not have repeat.
So far "missed call lite" seems to be the best option at the app store.
It repeats the vibrator.

I am sure someone will be smart enough to do a keyboard flash work around.
Just makes too much sense.

Strangely, you would have thought Sammy would have learned from the Instinct.....same issue. ANd they did end up making the buttons flash as a notification thru an update. Coming from the Instinct, you just get in the habit of checking the screen everytime you leave your phone unattended. I know it sounds crazy, but you do. And Bob, I will admit I was being somewhat critical. These phones ARE different and the first thing people want to do when they try something that is different is lash out(for lack of a better phrase) when something is not how it "used to be".....ie your Blackberry experience. I know I did. I was just preaching patience and determination. Most of the "askers" on this thread had VERY few posts and most of the "answerers" had much more. I'm just saying we went through the same transitional phase and went thru those same frustrated emotions(again for lack of a better word). I agree, somebody would do well to make an app for that. They are likely afraid the next update will cancel it out.

Upvote 0
The ringer works fine when a call comes in, but I get no audible notification when I receive an SMS message, Google chat or email. The phone does vibrate slightly, but nothing audible. Is there a way to change this?

Thanks!

I had that happen for the last two days, and when I plugged the phone in this morning to the usb to upload some mp3s, I had all the unplayed notification sounds play back-to-back over about 10 seconds. It was a loud jumble of noise and since the 'discharge' now all the notifications play normally.

Edit: it was so bizarre I made a thread about it here this morn.

Upvote 0
Strangely, you would have thought Sammy would have learned from the Instinct.....same issue. ANd they did end up making the buttons flash as a notification thru an update. Coming from the Instinct, you just get in the habit of checking the screen everytime you leave your phone unattended. I know it sounds crazy, but you do. And Bob, I will admit I was being somewhat critical. These phones ARE different and the first thing people want to do when they try something that is different is lash out(for lack of a better phrase) when something is not how it "used to be".....ie your Blackberry experience. I know I did. I was just preaching patience and determination. Most of the "askers" on this thread had VERY few posts and most of the "answerers" had much more. I'm just saying we went through the same transitional phase and went thru those same frustrated emotions(again for lack of a better word). I agree, somebody would do well to make an app for that. They are likely afraid the next update will cancel it out.

You may be right but the patience thing is not good advice as this is a product payed for and expected to conform or be replaced.

No emotion involved as if it is a living thing.

Like many others I may be here trying to get solutions before cursing the thing and switching to the Hero,BB,or some other brand that may have less issues.

Right now my issues are GPS thinking I am outside London after activating WiFI as some one suggested for improving it and the keyboard sliding open slightly and sticking when wearing on my belt due to the Sprint cover snap tabs.
Lost power fast from the last one.

Upvote 0
Bob, if this phone pisses you off, don't go Hero!!! You will be redoing your sheetrock shortly thereafter because it will be thru the wall. The patience I was referring to is just learning how the phone works....that is all...not waiting for someone else to do it for you(which is the determination I was referring to). It is a computer and like a computer, there are MANY different ways to skin a cat. Figure out which way works for you and go with it. It is just getting comfortable with it!!!

And please accept my apologies if I offended,
John

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones