• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Moment Tethering

I am also having problems installing PDAnet. I have followed all instructions in this thread.
I double-click the install file, tells me to make sure the phone is disconnected, then asks me to connect phone after making sure USB debugging is on. I do that. Then my computer asks me to install drivers, I point windows to look in the Samsung folder that I downloaded from a previous post in this thread. All that works fine. I then click next, a screen pops up and I get a green check mark on installing USB driver, green check mark on setting up modem driver, but then crashes on the installing to phone step...
drvins.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close..
Any ideas?

I'm having the same issues with my #2 laptop. Install on #1 laptop worked.

I had PC Studio (latest) installed in #2 when I updated to the latest version of PDAnet (2.12), and that's when I got that darn drvins.exe error. Sucks. Whatever is in 2.12 must've conflicted with something in PC Studio since if I understood correctly - pdanet 2.12 is a standalone and does not require PC Studio drivers.

Sorry, but at this moment in time I do not have a solution. I've emailed Junefabrics with the issue, and the software engineer sent me back a recompiled *.exe file to try. It didn't work, and I got the same error so I've concluded that it is an issue with the laptop OS.

Upvote 0
What OS is laptop 2 running?

Laptop #2
Microsoft Windows XP
Professional Version 2002
Service Pack 3
McAfee AntiVirus (unable to disable)

Laptop #1
Microsoft Windows XP Home
SP 3
AVG Antivirus
I've kept an older version of PDAnet on this one - ver 2.11.

I had an older version of PDAnet running on Laptop #2 with PC Studio drivers. It was when I did the upgrade to 2.12 that I got the error. I tried re-installing the older version, but still got the error.

Upvote 0
One of the things that tripped me up with Azilink is that the Folder needs to be installed in the ROOT of the C: drive. I had it on my desktop and no matter what I did, I got the 'connection refused' message over and over. When I moved the Azilink folder to the root, everything works.
Thanks so much. Informative thread!

That's weird. I have it buried in my downloads folder on my external drive and it works fine (Win7 32-bit).

Upvote 0
Hi All,
Cheesemoo helped me out a ton. I thought it would be helpful to put a description together with screen shots. Hope it helps,feel free to modify.

As crazy and strange as it sounds, I had to start my install using PDAnet to get drivers to load.

Maybe not needed, but worked for me. See attached word document.

Scott

Upvote 0
in 5 seconds: Connection refused (WSAECONNREFUSED)
Mon Nov 30 12:20:34 2009 TCP: connect to 127.0.0.1:41927 failed, will try again
in 5 seconds: Connection refused (WSAECONNREFUSED)

Whats up with the phone just becoming unusable to the USB port and require restarting?
i was having this issue with PDA net also.
It tells you the device is no longer recognized, and then once you restart it, things work wonderfully.

I dunno. Are you running XP? I've only ever seen this problem on my XP machine. Thankfully I have Win7 on my laptop and don't need to tether to my XP box much.

I'm having a similar problem. I got this working on both my win XP 32 system and my roommates Win7 64 system after a bit a trial and error.

The problem is that it works for a while... Normally an hour or 2. Sometimes longer, sometimes not. Then it completely stops working and tosses up the same reconnection messages shown above.

The only way to fix this problem is to reboot the phone. Restarting the program on the phone don't work. I do not however need to restart the computer, just the program on the computer.

I have read through every post on this forums and others and I'm just lost on how to fix it. If there is something that I can post here to give you all a btter idea of what my issue is, please ask. I would like to ask however that you be as detailed as possible in your request because I'm very newbish about all of this.

I downloaded cheesemoo pack and followed the instructions. And I honestly didn't understand anything I was doing and used trial and error to figure some things out for myself. It took me 4 hours to get it working, yes I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to things like this. For example part of the instructions say:

The OpenVPN Client requires a configuration file
and key/certificate files. You should obtain
these and save them to \Program Files\OpenVPN\config.
Might as well be written in Spanish as there is no mention of how or where to obtain these or what they even are. Just an example of my level of expertise when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm sure this is common knowledge to most of you. I ended up downloading the configuration file I found randomly on another forum which got my connection working. I still have no clue what the key/certificate files are, but like I said, I got the connection working anyway.

But clearly I have done something wrong as my connection stops working as I have said. I have already reinstalled the program on my phone. This did lengthen the period of time in-between crashes but sooner or later it goes back to crashing more quickly. This leads me to believe it's something with the phone and the program. Again, I downloaded cheesemoo's pack. I would appreciate any guidance.

I'm still within my 30 day return on the moment, so If I can't figure it out I think I will go get the hero instead as I heard tethering is painless on it. I would rather have this phone so I want to try and make it work.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar problem. I got this working on both my win XP 32 system and my roommates Win7 64 system after a bit a trial and error.

The problem is that it works for a while... Normally an hour or 2. Sometimes longer, sometimes not. Then it completely stops working and tosses up the same reconnection messages shown above.

The only way to fix this problem is to reboot the phone. Restarting the program on the phone don't work. I do not however need to restart the computer, just the program on the computer.

I have read through every post on this forums and others and I'm just lost on how to fix it. If there is something that I can post here to give you all a btter idea of what my issue is, please ask. I would like to ask however that you be as detailed as possible in your request because I'm very newbish about all of this.

I downloaded cheesemoo pack and followed the instructions. And I honestly didn't understand anything I was doing and used trial and error to figure some things out for myself. It took me 4 hours to get it working, yes I'm pretty much an idiot when it comes to things like this. For example part of the instructions say:

Might as well be written in Spanish as there is no mention of how or where to obtain these or what they even are. Just an example of my level of expertise when it comes to this kind of stuff. I'm sure this is common knowledge to most of you. I ended up downloading the configuration file I found randomly on another forum which got my connection working. I still have no clue what the key/certificate files are, but like I said, I got the connection working anyway.

But clearly I have done something wrong as my connection stops working as I have said. I have already reinstalled the program on my phone. This did lengthen the period of time in-between crashes but sooner or later it goes back to crashing more quickly. This leads me to believe it's something with the phone and the program. Again, I downloaded cheesemoo's pack. I would appreciate any guidance.

I'm still within my 30 day return on the moment, so If I can't figure it out I think I will go get the hero instead as I heard tethering is painless on it. I would rather have this phone so I want to try and make it work.

I'm not sure where you saw that stuff about the OpenVPN config/key files. Maybe in the official Azilink docs? Anyway, all you should need is in that pack I made already. The config file you'd be looking for is in the package, located at Azilink/OpenVPN/azilink.ovpn. But it sounds like you already found another copy and got it working, so you probably don't need to change your setup.

Anyway, if you got it working at all, then I don't know why it would suddenly stop and need a restart. I have never tethered for more than a half hour or so at a time, but it has never just died on me. The only problem I've had is that it will sometimes just not start (on my XP-32 machine), and I'll have to reboot my PC. Never had any problems at all with Win7-64.

Are you seeing the disconnects on both your XP and Win7 machines, or only on the XP box?

Are any other Moment users experiencing disconnects like this?
Anyone with a Hero care to comment?
Please post your OS if you do, it might be helpful in diagnosing this.

Upvote 0
well from shat i can figure out pdanet will not work on xp pro for some reason. I had xp pro on my laptop and on my desktop and it would not work on neither.I kept getting that drvinst.exe error. I installed vista on my laptop just for shits and giggles. installed drivers from page 1 here, and within minutes i was online on my laptop. I get evdo rev a when i'm roaming but my speed still isn't that great. best i've seen is 600 download and 100 upload. any one have any ideas to speed it up.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/642913488.png

Upvote 0
I'm not sure where you saw that stuff about the OpenVPN config/key files. Maybe in the official Azilink docs? Anyway, all you should need is in that pack I made already. The config file you'd be looking for is in the package, located at Azilink/OpenVPN/azilink.ovpn. But it sounds like you already found another copy and got it working, so you probably don't need to change your setup.

Anyway, if you got it working at all, then I don't know why it would suddenly stop and need a restart. I have never tethered for more than a half hour or so at a time, but it has never just died on me. The only problem I've had is that it will sometimes just not start (on my XP-32 machine), and I'll have to reboot my PC. Never had any problems at all with Win7-64.

Are you seeing the disconnects on both your XP and Win7 machines, or only on the XP box?

Are any other Moment users experiencing disconnects like this?
Anyone with a Hero care to comment?
Please post your OS if you do, it might be helpful in diagnosing this.

Yes it was the open directions, they kind of through me off. I noticed the files you mentioned later after I got it working. This problem is only with my xp32 box. My roommates win7 box is not working at all. But that is a driver issue on his computer so I don't know if my issue was effecting him as he only used it one time.

As I said, works fine after a phone reboot, perhaps this software can't keep connections for long periods of time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones