• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung Moment vs. Motorola Droid

A rep was present at a verizon store by us with a unit.
Nice. Solid. Tight. Smooth and it seemed more peppy with 2.0.
The slide is supported along the sides of the unit, so there is very little play.
The unit felt like a business tool. Whereas my Moment feels like my PSP.

Kinda like Lexus vs. Corolla.

Conclusion, if Sprint had the Droid......

Ideally, I'd want the innards of the Moment inside the hardcase of the Droid. Guess we'll just have to wait till someone does this hack and posts it on youtube. Lol.

Am I happy with the Moment/Sprint. You betya.

Upvote 0
Ok well maybe I didn't have the best comparison for processors but you catch my drift overall. I also would pay full retail on the Droid if I could use it on Sprint but since that isn't a option I'm going with VZW.

I want the Droid much more than the Moment but don't want to jump to Verizon. I think I'll hang with Sprint and see what goodies are coming out this spring.

Upvote 0
that's a bunch of bull. the white balance on the Moment is greatly skewed compared to the Hero and iphone. Can lay all three flat on a surface and see a noticable difference. I have both the Hero and Moment, and it's night and day. Didn't compare it to a droid, but that's irrelevant to the point being made.
you only get a blue tint of you tilt the moment to a awkward position no one would ever use it at

Upvote 0
that's a bunch of bull. the white balance on the Moment is greatly skewed compared to the Hero and iphone. Can lay all three flat on a surface and see a noticable difference. I have both the Hero and Moment, and it's night and day. Didn't compare it to a droid, but that's irrelevant to the point being made.

I personally dont see a difference i got a itouch and i got the moment and i dont see the blue tint unless i tilt it i personally never seen the hero's screen but in my OPINION i think the screen on the moment is awesome.

Upvote 0
when I get done taking pics of my moment in the treo pro holster, I'll put up a side by side of email with white background and black text. It's noticeable. Not saying the Moment's screen is bad, and it'd be less noticeable if I didn't have the Hero at my bedside, but when you're use to a crisp white screen, it's annoying. Some of the "pro" reviews have side by side screen comparisons showing the Moment's bluish green tint. Wonder if rooting would allow gamma adjustments.

Upvote 0
I will go ahead and comment on this as well.

I switched from Hero to Moment. When side-by-side in store, it is noticable, the blueish tint of the Moments screen. However it is not like I white colors are now blue, and everything looks like I'm looking through a cheap pair of sunglasses. After leaving the store and getting it home, I noticed it less and less until it got to the point of never noticing it at all. Friends and others have never noticed it (they are however amazed by the AMOLED), it is NOT a problem. Holding the Moment next to my monitor, I cannot see a blueish tint either.

Unless you are trying to nit pick, this point is moot.

Having said that, can we try to not get further off topic? We are now arguing Hero vs Moment... there is a thread for that.

Upvote 0
I'll be honest and say that I only started looking at android phones because of the Droid ads. But my subjective comparison came up with these results; :rolleyes:

Droid is "cool" and has the accessories (docks) and a 16G class 6 card, but I just bought a 8G class 6 for $14, I'll upgrade when 32G are out. :)

I did NOT like the layout of the keyboard when I tested the demo model in Best Buy :(, and really didn't like the feel trying to actually type with an actual demo phone later. Moments keyboard is great, the extra row for number keys makes a big difference, :rolleyes: and I can handle the spacebar. :eek:

Droid has a larger screen, but not better, Moments AMOLED wins with the display and lower power, with a slight detraction for use in full sunlight (but everything sucks in full sunlight). :cool:

Droid has 2.0 which is better until the Moment is upgraded. :mad:

The REAL deciding factor is the cost, Sprint's network is not as extensive as Verizon, but more than adequate unless you are traveling out to the boonies :thinking:, and the cost difference over 2 years, (or even one) could buy me another phone (or two :eek:), and I'll probably upgrade to another android phone by then. :p

I'm happy (I was able to use all these annoying smilies :D)

Upvote 0
how about the Droid already got a major firmware update and the Moment has been out twice as long. Support could play a role for some.

The following enhancements to the Droid by Motorola have been made:

• OS stability is improved.
  • Battery life is improved.
  • Camera auto focus functionality is improved, and time between shots is reduced.
  • Enhancements for three-way calling.
  • Audio for incoming calls is improved.
  • When receiving a call on call waiting, the speakerphone now
  • remains on.
  • Bluetooth

Upvote 0
I have to be honest, I didn't read the whole thread, but I wanted to give you my impressions of the two phones... I own the moment, but we have a DROID here in the office that I have used quite a bit too.

I like they keyboard on the Moment better than the keyboard on the DROID. I find that the key shape and key spacing on the moment make it easier to type on. On the DROID, I tend to hit more than one key at a time on a regular basis.

I like the way the keyboard slides on the Moment. The DROID slides the opposite direction, and somehow I always managed to have to flip the phone around in my hand to open it.

I also feel like the DROID has just a little too much drag when opening the keyboard, but that's just my opinion. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker to me.

The high res screen on the DROID is fantastic, although, I don't feel that the resolution on the moment is limiting. Text seems sharp enough for me on the moment. I do feel like the colors on the Moment might be a little more vibrant, but, the high res screen on the DROID looks REALLY REALLY sharp.

I didn't use the DROID enough to be able to comment on the battery life.

While the moment's battery meter is out of whack, the overall battery life is plenty for me. Just like my last phone (Mogul on Sprint), I put it on the charger every night. My normal use during the day isn't enough to kill it. The Moment spends a good part of the evening in the yellow/red battery range, but it has yet to die on me in normal use. The two days that I did try to kill it, it took longer than I thought it would in the evening to run it completely flat.

When I compared the plans from Sprint and Verizon, Verizon came out to be more expensive. This may vary from person to person, but in my case, it worked out that way.

The DROID wins the OS version competition though, with Android 2.0. One thing I miss on the moment was the ability to sync to multiple google accounts like I could on the DROID. For the most part, day to day, Android 1.5 doesn't seem all that different from 2.0.

If you do decide to go with a Moment, make sure you turn off the "use wireless networks" in settings > security and location in order to make GPS work right until they can patch it or release 2.x.

All in all, I think you could be pretty happy with either handset... I just feel that the DROID has just a little too much hype surrounding it. They do have great commercials though!

-SF

Upvote 0
All this about the Droid is kind of making me want to go with Verizon.... >.> Makes me feel like the Moment is an in-adequate phone when compared with it. Sad part is, I've only had this phone for a week and a day now. Don't get me wrong! This phone beats the *expletive describing feces* out of my old Nextel i850. I love it! It's just that now, I wish I would have looked around more... also... do any of you guys think that the Palm Pre is anything to compare to the Moment? o.o I CAN change to that phone, I just can't find a forum as comprehensive as this one to ask people about it, which is why I'll probably stay Andriod.

Upvote 0
All this about the Droid is kind of making me want to go with Verizon.... >.> Makes me feel like the Moment is an in-adequate phone when compared with it. Sad part is, I've only had this phone for a week and a day now. Don't get me wrong! This phone beats the *expletive describing feces* out of my old Nextel i850. I love it! It's just that now, I wish I would have looked around more... also... do any of you guys think that the Palm Pre is anything to compare to the Moment? o.o I CAN change to that phone, I just can't find a forum as comprehensive as this one to ask people about it, which is why I'll probably stay Andriod.
Well this is a 'Vs Droid' thread, but to temporarily swing off topic for a min...

The Pre's Palm OS user interface is absolutely amazing, but that's it... it stutters, it lags, it freezes, and the hardware is garbage. The screen cracks easily, the slider breaks, the keyboard is tiny, and the thing overheats if you put a case on it. I did a month of research into the Pre before I was eligable for my upgrade on Sprint... I wanted something with a physical keyboard and happily went with the Moment instead. I felt that the 1st generation phone with zero updates was likely to be better than the phone that has been around for a long time and has horrible hardware that cannot be updated. ...But damn the Pre is pretty...:eek:

Edit: Oh, and the Palm's app market is nearly non-existent compared to the android market. It wass truly pathetic last time I checked.

Upvote 0
PreCentral.net | The #1 Palm Pre and Pixi Community. lots of info. good forums. strong homebrew community. That's their term for rooting. If you can endure the hardware, the OS is pretty nice. Palm has been updating it regularly. It has it's little cult following that I could no longer be a part of. Very light on the apps because it is just a cult following so the jury is still out on it catching on with more developers to really bolster the apps.

Personally...you only have to "suffer" with the Moment for a year. Then you can upgrade to the 2nd gen android phones. By then I'm sure a slick snapdragon slider phone will be out that can learn from the Moto Droid. I'd be happy with something the size of the Hero that has a nice slide out keyboard with a little more room to maneuver than the Droid. If I had any inkling that webOS might catch on and some 2nd gen hardware is going to impress, then I would've endured being a beta tester so to speak with the Pre or possibly Pixi (since I enjoyed my Treo Pro for a bit) for a year. But I don't have that kind of confidence.

Upvote 0
The Droid only has more hype because of their cool commercials. Everyone (especially iPhone haters) wanted the Droid after seeing those commercials. Has the Moment even been on a commercial, print ad, promotion?! I've seen the Hero a little but never the Moment! As with every product you need advertisement!
Nope.. the moment is the step child of sprint's that they leave under teh stairs all the time.. hardware wise (except for screen resolution and a notification light) it is far above the droid... But sprint knows about the glitches and probably has some better stuff coming down the road so i guess they dont want to waste time with the moment.. Makes me feel great inside (thinking about returning before my 30 days and going back to my curve)

Upvote 0
Nope.. the moment is the step child of sprint's that they leave under teh stairs all the time.. hardware wise (except for screen resolution and a notification light) it is far above the droid... But sprint knows about the glitches and probably has some better stuff coming down the road so i guess they dont want to waste time with the moment.. Makes me feel great inside (thinking about returning before my 30 days and going back to my curve)

I can't go back to my Curve...hooked on Android! I'll just wait til next year for my upgrade and get the new Android that's out! ;)

Upvote 0
Don't buy that argument. I wish my phone was that thin and had that screen and processor. The only two negatives I see on it are the lackluster keyboard and no trackpad or trackball on the screen side. I bet when gen 2 devices come out, they'll be major steps ahead of the Moment. The Moment's design is one that could've come out 2yrs ago and been considered cutting edge, but not now. A slightly faster processor and better screen are it's only claims to fame so to speak.

I also don't see it as the step child of Sprint. The only reason it seems that way is that with HTC marketing it, it only makes sense to add it into Sprint's commercials. You might as well say the Touch Pro 2 is also hanging under the stairs too. A maintenance release will hopefully drop in a couple weeks and handle some glitches and hopefully tide us over till the 2.x upgrade.

Have fun going back to your Curve.

Upvote 0
Don't buy that argument. I wish my phone was that thin and had that screen and processor. The only two negatives I see on it are the lackluster keyboard and no trackpad or trackball on the screen side. I bet when gen 2 devices come out, they'll be major steps ahead of the Moment. The Moment's design is one that could've come out 2yrs ago and been considered cutting edge, but not now. A slightly faster processor and better screen are it's only claims to fame so to speak.

I also don't see it as the step child of Sprint. The only reason it seems that way is that with HTC marketing it, it only makes sense to add it into Sprint's commercials. You might as well say the Touch Pro 2 is also hanging under the stairs too. A maintenance release will hopefully drop in a couple weeks and handle some glitches and hopefully tide us over till the 2.x upgrade.

Have fun going back to your Curve.
If you wish you had an incredibly bleached out screen and a processor that doesn't show any performance enhancement over the moment, then go ahead and switch to verizon.. The AMOLED screen on the moment blows the droid's screen out of the water (except for resolution and size of screen)... Let alone the pure color contrast and quality of the AMOLED screen, the touch sensitivity on the moment is much better then the droid (you dont have to push in and move your finger to get it to work right).. Also we aren't talking about a slightly worse keyboard on the droid vs the moment.. we are talking about an incredibly worse physical keyboard...
The reason sprint isn't advertising the moment (according to sprint tech and business support) is because samsung wont fund any advertisement for the phone.. which shows very poor on samsung and their faith in the moment...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones