• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Note 8 - verifying account

I had a problem setting up my new Note 8 - seems like a wrong google account was used - by me! As I couldn't get into the phone, I did a factory reset as per the instructions from my carrier (phone provider), Telstra in Australia. No problems with the reset.
However, I restarted the phone and after following a few prompts I get a message:
'This device was reset. To continue, sign in with a Google account that was previously synced on this device.'
As the phone setup wasn't completed, I can't do this - and have no idea what 'account' was used in the initial attempt. I have tried logging in with each of the three separate google accounts that I have, and keep getting a message that 'unable to sign in to a device due to a unknown error. please try another account or try to sign in again after 24 hours.'
I am 200% certain that I know the correct log in details for each of these accounts, so I assume I'm stuck as I don't know the account used with the 'initial attempt'.
I'd appreciate any suggestions for fixing this.

https://www.samsung.com/us/support/frp/

If you already reset your device, but don't remember your Google username and/or password, the device can't be used. In that case, you can do one of these:

• If you know your Google username but can't remember the password, you can reset your password on the device, or at www.google.com. It can take up to 24 hours for a new password to sync with all registered devices. After 24 hours, you can try logging in to your phone with the new password.
  • If you have multiple Google Accounts, and you can't remember which Google Account you set up on your device, visit https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager.
    Log in with your Google username and password and check the list of devices registered to the account. If you don't see the device listed on the account, it means the device is registered to a different account. Use the same process to check for devices linked to your other Google Accounts. When you find the registered account, use it to log in to your device.
  • If you can't remember any of your Google Account information, you can send your device, along with proof of purchase, to an authorized Samsung Service Center. Samsung has special tools to reset the phone to factory defaults with no protection enabled.

Upvote 0
Can you set it up without a sim?

It's not the SIM. This is Factory Reset Protection(FRP), and if the OP can't verify the account, it will have to be sent with proof of ownership to Samsung for them to reset it, for which Samsung will charge no doubt. AFAIK there's no other way to bypass FRP, as it's intended as an anti-theft measure to try to make stolen phones difficult, or impossible to fence and use.

Upvote 0
It's not the SIM. This is Factory Reset Protection(FRP), and if the OP can't verify the account, it will have to be sent with proof of ownership to Samsung for them to reset it, for which Samsung will charge no doubt. AFAIK there's no other way to bypass FRP, as it's intended as an anti-theft measure to try to make stolen phones difficult, or impossible to fence and use.

There are ways to bypass the FRP, but... you can log into Google findmyphone & remove the FRP IF you know the account info

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones