• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung Notes update wipes half of long memo after conversion

SteveD_Rdg

Lurker
Sep 8, 2020
Hi all. I use a Galaxy A20e. I've lost a large chunk text from a very long Samsung Notes memo, following an auto update to the app. The first time I tried to open the memo after the update Notes asked if I wanted to convert the memo to run in the new version. I said yes, but immediately found a lot of text had been lost from this important memo - probably a third to half from the latter end of it. Very frustrating! I'd like to know if there's a way of retrieving the previously saved version of this memo please - i.e. with all the text intact, in the phone's cache, or as a temporary file, or even within the app?? Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up the files in my phone's document folder, or in the Samsung Cloud. Thanks very much.

Hi all. I use a Galaxy A20e. I've lost a large chunk text from a very long Samsung Notes memo, following an auto update to the app. The first time I tried to open the memo after the update Notes asked if I wanted to convert the memo to run in the new version. I said yes, but immediately found a lot of text had been lost from this important memo - probably a third to half from the latter end of it. Very frustrating! I'd like to know if there's a way of retrieving the previously saved version of this memo please - i.e. with all the text intact, in the phone's cache, or as a temporary file, or even within the app?? Unfortunately, I hadn't backed up the files in my phone's document folder, or in the Samsung Cloud. Thanks very much.
So did you at least share them and put them into dropbox?

That is how I usually do that, so my back up it feels more complete anyways.. That does sound strange though, anyone got any ideas?

Upvote 0
Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply and helpful suggestion. No, at the time I didn't have a copy in Dropbox and was taken by surprise by the destructive update. Since I posted though I've begun backing up these docs more regularly in the cloud and elsewhere. I've also hung onto the Notes doc which the update half destroyed in case a solution can be found! Cheers.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Hi. Thanks a lot for your reply and helpful suggestion. No, at the time I didn't have a copy in Dropbox and was taken by surprise by the destructive update. Since I posted though I've begun backing up these docs more regularly in the cloud and elsewhere. I've also hung onto the Notes doc which the update half destroyed in case a solution can be found! Cheers.
I was going to type that, meant like Cloud, or Dropbox service, I am sorry to leave that in the dark, bad Milo :) I tend to do that as an intel test sometimes hahahaa :)
Way to go of passing them to like google drive too, I have some of my own words I just feel like taking down though, but at least I am not stir crazy about them, and let me live ya know :) Take care Steve.

Upvote 0
Thanks, appreciate that Milo! Makes sense. Realised after this I needed to be more organised with the Notes app, plus using the cloud or other services to back everything up regularly.
I am a writer, so most of my notes are manually towards the back up, about every day I check in my notes, and on my comp too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones