• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Samsung releasing an EVO competitor...with keyboard.

My take is I'm going to get whatever is best when it's time for my upgrade. I don't care if it's an Android, Blackberry, or iPhone (even though I don't see them coming to Sprint) but it is as simple as that.

A refreshing injection of sobriety...

I feel the same. I have little loyalty to platforms. I am currently dismayed by iPhone, tired of RIM and impressed with Android. I expect to upgrade to the one that best fits my needs. I'll take the best (for me), and move on.

It's their job to woo me. Show me what you can do, and then we can talk about a possible two-year relationship.

Upvote 0
After the Moment's radio fiasco (when transferring a lot of data, the CDMA radio drops offline, requiring a reboot- and three different firmwares couldn't fix this problem) Samsung would have to pay me to try another of their handsets.

It's funny- I've had an EVO since Google I/O and I'd been so used to holding my breath to see if data transfers would complete successfully with the Moment that for the first couple of days I was always afraid it would stop, too.

I thought I'd miss a hard keyboard, but the EVO's big screen and effective autocorrect (not to mention I have a Swype beta I keep saying I'm going to use) are just as effective for me now.

Upvote 0
just watched the official samsung galaxy s video on their site and no where in that video stated it comes w. a full qwerty slide out keyboard. think that photo is not the final product or its def a photoshopped pic.

You're wrong. Theres the normal Galaxy S which is being released in over a 100 countries with a few countries already launched, and the Galaxy S Pro with keyboard which hasn't been officially announced yet.

Upvote 0
You're wrong. Theres the normal Galaxy S which is being released in over a 100 countries with a few countries already launched, and the Galaxy S Pro with keyboard which hasn't been officially announced yet.

gotcha. didnt know there were two different versions coming out. pretty smart on samsungs part since a lot of phone users prefer a full qwerty than a virtual keyboard.

Upvote 0
Not really. I think a slide keyboard is great. The big advantage is that you get to see the whole screen while typing instead of having a large portion of the screen blocked by the keyboard.
Not to mention you can start typing and have a global search bring up instant results, like on the Pre. I do miss sliding the Pre keyboard open to begin typing a contact name and have it show up immediately, instead of having to navigate to a typing area and use the on-screen keyboard to do the same like on the Evo. Small problem, but definitely an advantage with the slide-out.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones