• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung s4 music transfer onto sd card nightmare!! Please help!

rexx404

Lurker
Dec 4, 2013
Okay,

So I have the samsung galaxy s4, a 64gb samsung sd card and a macbook pro.

I have had problems with putting music onto the sd card. I do not have the capacity to use wifi syncing as I am on a limited data usage.

I have around 25gb of mp3's and m4a's to put onto the card. I have tried the following:

1. isyncr - does it well for a while but then comes up with error messages

2. android file transfer - successfully transfers files however the recurring problem is that when i go on my phone, some songs are able to play whilst other are 'unsupported' or 'cannot be played'.

3. keis doesn't work

4. I have plugged the sd card in an adaptor straight into my mac, formatted it from there and put the music on, but when i put it in the phone it says 'damaged sd card' - therefore the way in which the macbook formats isn't compatible so I have formatted from the phone instead from thereon.

I have tried doing 25gb in smaller batched, works for around 2 batches then problems occur with 'unsupported' and 'cannot be played'. I have located these songs in the sd card in the phones menu options, they do not play. I have tried this with google music, rocket player, the stock samsung player and meridian.

I have started the phone again and used media scanner to no avail.

When restarting the phone, in one instance I transferred around 1000 songs, only 193 remained when i turned to phone back on.

Using google music cloud service is not an option as I want these songs on my phone and I dont have the data to use it.
What do i do? Please help.

I do not have the capacity to use wifi syncing as I am on a limited data usage.
Wifi has nothing to do with your data usage. You could transfer many GBs of files by wifi even if you didn't have a data plan.

therefore the way in which the macbook formats isn't compatible
Mo, Mac isn't compatible with anything else in the real computer world.

Download Wifi File Transfer from the Play store (it's free). Run it. It'll give you a URL. Connect to that URL with Safari (or whatever browser you use). Transfer all the files you like. (The URL will be numbers, and it'll have something like :1234 at the end. That's part of the URL, so put it into Safari.)

The data is going from your Mac to your router to your phone - nothing to do with your data plan. (The phone doesn't even have to be on a plan for this to work.) The only limits are the amount of space on the SD card and your patience.

Upvote 0
Download Wifi File Transfer from the Play store (it's free). Run it. It'll give you a URL. Connect to that URL with Safari (or whatever browser you use). Transfer all the files you like.

In addition to Rukbat, you could try similar and very popular app, the -->AirDroid<--. And if you don't have a Internet access, you can still use it by turning tethering mode on your phone, and connecting your mac to it.

As for direct file transfer via USB, use the native Android driver:
Android.com

Don't format your card using Mac, format it using your phone.

Upvote 0
Thank you for your suggestions. I will try my best to try them.

Yeah I understand that wifi doesn't have anything to do with phone data usage but my wifi package is on a 10gb a month limit as it is through a mobile Internet provider which I need for other purposes so cable would be better really.

But I could try and find some unlimited wifi.

Upvote 0
Whether tracks will play depends what format you use on your MacBook Pro. The default format is m4a (I think) which will not play on most non-Apple devices but you can convert all your music in iTunes to 320kbps MP3 (with a small but not noticeable loss of fidelity) and then you can play them on your Android. I cannot remember how I did this as I had to do it a couple of years ago but it's a core function of iTunes and I don't remember having any trouble doing this.

FWIW I use iSyncr. It's not perfect but I haven't had any major problems with it. Because of the way it works, you can just pick up where you left off if the sync fails part way through.

I must say I don't understand the wifi comments. I've never heard of wifi being limited and I don't see what business it is of your service provider how you use wifi at home.

Upvote 0
Yeah I understand that wifi doesn't have anything to do with phone data usage but my wifi package is on a 10gb a month limit as it is through a mobile Internet provider which I need for other purposes so cable would be better really.

But I could try and find some unlimited wifi.

Huh? Wifi typically only involves your local router. Your ISP has nothing to do with it for device to device transfers. Do you have a router?

Connections from your carrier (e.g. Verizon/ATT/etc.) are called wireless, not wifi.

Upvote 0
Where did you buy the memory card? Wife and I wnet through the same issue with two 32gb samsung cards purchased from ebay. Turns out the cards were counterfeited in such a way that a computer or phone is fooled into seeing 32gb of free space when it was actually only an 8gb card. Tried putting files on it over and over and kept getting unusable music. Bought a real class 10 card at best buy and all 20 plus gb's of data were on it in less than ten minutes.

Upvote 0
Rexx
Your problem sounds exactly like what I was experiencing. There is an app if I remember that tests an sd card by writing generic memory onto the card until it is full. It then reports the speed and total capacity. Not sure what the app was called.

I really think you have a counterfeit card that is smaller than described.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones