• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Samsung S5 is stuck on the start-up screen after a nandroid restore

The subject pretty much says it all...I'd backed up everything to my 128Gb card, including a nandroid backup, then performed a factory reset (to try to restore some zip, and to try to convince the phone to once again tell me when I have new voicemail). The reset did not address the lack of voicemail notification, so decided to do the nandroid restore (using some version of SafeStrap).

After it rebooted, there were tons of "unfortunately app whatever has stopped" At that point, I performed another factory reset.

Now, all I can get to is the 1st boot screen, where it tells you what it is (white text on black background). further factory resets made no difference. I tried using ODIN, and according to the PC app, flashing any of the G900V_NE9_Kernel, G900V_NHA_Kernel, etc. worked (SUCCESS!)...however, the S5 didn't agree.

I have downloaded the ADB package, but have no experience with it...

any advice is more than welcome. before things crapped out, I was happily rooted and running 4.4.2. Glad that my S3 is still with me and quite happy to see everyday use again.

by the way, a manager at my local Verizon store said that it's usually their end when voicemail notifications go south.....meh

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones